Picks / Plectrums

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Harsh Kumar, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

Dudes/Gurus

Do you know some plectrums i broke the last one scratching my back.

Please enlighten me abt plectrums/picks on which kind to use for what kind of sound .

Is a thicker one better or not. and dont tell me to work it out of my own experience, coz if that were the case i wouldnt be posting here

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I have found that thicker ones are better when you shred, they tend to be more stable and the stubby nature somehow aids in fast and aggressive picking.

Thin ones are soft and seem to be better suited for strumming on acoustics or clean.
    That is when you need dynamic response (ie the picking intensity should determine the loudness).

All these are my personal views.

3. fat_kax

fat_kax Kickin Ass Since 1989 !

dude -waise to thicker ones are better = but i advice to start finger pickin man - they offer u gr8 control....its sumwat like - britishers use their spoons and forks and still get loosies and die - we on the other hand use our unwashed germ infested incest(ok - only some of us have these kinda hands....and i dont....i promise!) hands to eat - and gettin a loosie for us is just an everyday happenin - btw - i only get loosemotions when i overeat - ie - every second day after a party or eat out....
    so anewez - ur fingers are ur best pics man -so drop those long nailpolish fingernails - and get ur hands dirty - not in loosies though - plzzz....
    AHHH plzz wash ur hands...!!!

4. vini

vini Repeat Offender

thick for picking u can try thin too

thin for strumming but thick doesnt work well wid me

in my opinion!

5. fat_kax

dudeette vini - thin fer strummin is gr8 - but wen they break into 3 li'l "wee" bits - thats the begining of you-know-what hits the fan
    P.s>>> i just read Barry Potter and The Shameless Parody- u think it shows?

6. vini

vini Repeat Offender

@kax as i said in my opinion thin is the best for strumming..i think its more flexible! and in my experience the plectrum never "broke into 3 li'l "wee" bits"

he can try it..and then do what he finds easier and comfortable

7. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

AHAAH!!! I was wondering when you'd post another question!!

Regarding picks, try this: buy four picks of various thickness. One thin pick, two medium picks and one heavy stubby pick. When you wanna play something thats agressive (heavy metal stuff, or blazing solo stuff) use the thick one. When you wanna play softer stuff like strummin to senti love songs etc, go for the thin pick. Thats it.

ps: if u wanna know what to do with the other two medium picks.. well scratch ur back or wherever is it that u feel the itch!!!

8. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Thats the sense of humor for which you're world famous in your school, right????

BTW if ya wanna save ur picks from breaking due to the harsh treatment you subjected it to (scratcing your back).. maybe you could try having a proper bath on a daily basis!! Unless.. scratching your back with a pick is one more reason you're famous for in your school!!!

9. fat_kax

ok lemme put it mildly - use ur fingers dude - it allows greater control - they're a better scratch aid too....

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Can you shred (on guitar strings) using finger picking?

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

If you can play like knopfler or Beck with your fingers, who needs shredding ?;)

12. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

i always thought thin ones are good for fast picking ....
    And thick ones are good for thrash ...

13. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Kindly listen to Paco De Lucia.

Worst analogy ever. Remainder of post is not very good either.

14. fat_kax

man - if u got BIGG finger nails - yeAh!!!

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL

Paco Rabanne or Paco DE Lucia may be playing fast while finger picking
    but I asked that fellow.
    If HE can play. (that = he = fatkax)

16. fat_kax

17. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Mistake became. Apologies. :dance: ;)

18. metal=heaven

metal=heaven New Member

my take on this topic.....thick pic for shredding,thin ones for acoustic/strumming

19. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

If you want to stick to just one guage of picks try 0.80mm. Its solid enough to pick induvidual notes and bends enough to strum at the same time. I generally use either 1.00mm or 1.20mm vry rarely but sometimes i use 1.5mm. I generally dont play with a pick on acoustic so cant suggest good pick for acoustic.

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ha, what apologies?

I just meant that some great ppl may be able to shred with finger pikcing. But we are just mere mortals.
    WE havto use plectrums.

Fatty, I'll chcek teh link later.