pick ups query

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by limpbelevr, Aug 16, 2006.

1. limpbelevr

limpbelevr New Member

i got a ibanez rg270 its go HSH config...now can i put a emg bridge pickup n a dimarzio neck...how is the combination n will the emgs fit on my guitar...

2. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Yes, you can. It will fit.
    However, there will be a volume and output difference between your active and passive pickups, so your patches will need to be tweaked.

3. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Keep in mind that if you do go in for an active EMG, then the battery will need to be periodically replaced.

4. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

wats the diff between an active and passive pickup?????

5. limpbelevr

limpbelevr New Member

i dindt get the battery concept in the active pickups...sumbody plz explain...where is the battery...comparatively which is better emg or dimarzio

6. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Passive pickups send the signal unamplified to the amp, and therefore rely on higher-impedence coils and magnets.
    Active pickups have lower impendence and then use a battery-powered preamp to increase output.
    There is no better or worse. You need to know what you want tonally, not whether Kirk Hammett and Zakk Wylde uses them. Also, you'll have to drill a hole in your guitar to fit in a 9-volt battery compartment.

7. limpbelevr

limpbelevr New Member

my better meant which one of the two have more crunch..n sustain ...etc,i have used esp n the jem liked both so i wanted tat sound on my guitar...cant decide..amongst the 2.

8. vlada729

vlada729 New Member

hey...crunch and sustain don't depend on p-ups only...the fact that you liked 'em both has something to do with guitars also...
    anyway mixing active and pasive...sucks...
    if u know what you want from a pickup both DiMarzzio and EMG have the answer for that, both have some really good stuff...
    but be careful...as somebody mentioned here...not all the p-ups are for all players...if u take JEM's p-ups, for instance, like breeds or evo's, make sure you'll use them, being good for Vai doesn't mean thay're ok for you... I didn't like them at all...the're not signature pickups for nothing...
    unlike EMG's, thay are ok for most...(that is if u want that kind of piskup)...most common, like 81's are great for anything from rock to really heavy stuff...and good tonal range and freq. responsee...they're active, right?batteries last long enough, don't worry...
    my suggestion is, go to both sites, choose a p-up based on tonal characteristics that u want...if u know what you want, you can be surprised that there are some more options...
    have fun

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

The major pickup manufacturers have an extensive line of pickups.You can get any kind of output and voicing, and choose the appropiate one according to your gear and tastes.Go to Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan's sites, they have full tone charts and descriptions of all pickups.

Mixing actives and passives will surely be a headache.Why do you so badly want the actives?If you are not running 60ft of cable and loads of effects, then passives should do the job too.

My point is, dont go for EMG 81/85 just because Zakk or Hammet use them.But if you have some genuine reason to use it, then go for an active set.

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ What if I wanna show off and brag?
    :Lighten:

11. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

use a wah pedal with some crazy distortion...who cares abt the pickups

12. limpbelevr

limpbelevr New Member

thanks guys my only greed for passives is coz of their output levels...n dimarzios r shrap..but anyways how would u rate the normal pick ups on ibanez rg270...all i no higher notes don sustain n r too sum extent brittle..