Pick-up???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sam_rules, May 25, 2005.

1. sam_rules

sam_rules New Member

I read drsaurabh's article about making pickups. i have heard of a way to make easy pickups.if any one has any idea about this do reply. i am not sure of this.

From the old telephones unscrew the reciever and simply place it under the strings. the two wires coming out of the reciever goes to the soundbox. that simple. but the catch is that new phones have different technology so this works only for old phones.[one with magnets].

2. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

nono - those are piezos....

thats different....

3. sam_rules

sam_rules New Member

whats piezos??

4. deathdr_87

its a piezo-electrical system...

search on wikipedia or sometihng... but heres a simple explanation -

its a material that generates current when a mechaincal force is applied to it...
    hence vibrations of the string and the resonance of the wood of the guitar cuase the piezo material to generate current... this is how it basically works...

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Piezo elements are small electro mechanical transducers. Transducers are elements which convert energy from one form to the other. The quality of a transducer depends how faithfully it can convert to the other energy without much losses.

The piezoelectricity of a chemical compound is caused by the displacement of ions in a crystal due to the distortion of the crystal structure.

Coming back to piezos, piezos are such crystal compounds which can convert mechanical energy to electroical energy. When you pluck a string, the piezo element vibrates as a result of the vibrations induced by the string vibrations. These vibrations results in Mechanical motion good enough to displace the ions in the crystal to make them conduct the electricity. This small electricity comprising your guitar signals is then amplified by your amp.

6. sam_rules

sam_rules New Member

Hey the phone technology was different.it was something like this.
    when you pluck the string, the string vibrates. this creates a difference of magnetic flux which is picked by the pick-up. this is then transmitted to the sound box.

7. ronnieanand

This magnetic field around the magnet creates electricity in the coil which can be picked up by the wires. Still a transducer.

8. sam_rules

sam_rules New Member

hmm i don't know much about it. thanks bro

9. deathdr_87

no - not even the oldestphoens would use a magnetic flux change...

magnetic flux cant be created by speaking - old phones used piezo elemnts...i dont know about new ones - but piezos are used in phones - not magnetic coils... that jsut doesnt work...

its the same tchnology ur putting on ur guitar from the old hpone- it picks up the actual waves and not the vibrations of the string to generate electricity... its a piezo system ur talknng about not magnetic.

10. ronnieanand

I didn't say Piezos have anything related to magetism. The string vibrations creates the waves and these vibrations are picked up the piezo. Piezo then vibrates to this and then converting this mechanical energy to electrical energy.
    I dont know about Phones. He was asking me why Magenet is used. So I gave that explanation.

11. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hmmm....very very interesting.