pick up needed

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by petermasc, Apr 10, 2007.

1. petermasc

petermasc New Member

hi neone out there selling a dimarzio (f-spaced) tonezone..let me kno.

2. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

noone knows fspace here. i tried to get duncans f spaced but no one knew what it was. think ur better off ordering online

3. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Given the vast popularity of whammy bar'red superstrats around here I'd be inclined to think most replacement pickups in India would be F-spaced. In any case even if people don't know what it is, you can always just carry a ruler when you go shopping for pickups and check spacing against your gat, or yeah, just order online to be sure

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Its no big deal though. I wouldnt bother.....most stock pickups that are on Floyd Rose equiped guitars dont have the F spacing...

5. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Are you sure? I'm thinking most pickups in India would be fender spaced simply because we have so many F Rose trems.

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

fender spaced??????????

and no....most stock pickups dont have the F(loyd rose) spacing

7. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

same thing actually, IIRC at least originally all six string pickups were classified as either fender or gibson spacing, the latter being narrower...Floyd employed the fender spacing in his designs and I guess the name's now stuck with Floyd. I don't think there is a third classification in any case, at least not for six string designs, unless of course I'm living on some other planet altogether :)

Incidentally that's where you get f-spaced and g-spaced from
    btw, I ordered fender spaced and I got... fender spaced

8. petermasc

petermasc New Member

i messaged the bajaao people they have not replied since friday........s.b. music does not have it in stock.....and i don't have a credit card

regarding the f-spaced thing......early kramers had tilted bridge humbuckers to accommodate the floyd,i think now as an improvement we have f-spaced pups.....how do seymour duncan etc etc deal with this problem...only dimazio seems to be advertising the f-spaced feature.

9. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Trust me the term f-spaced has been around long before Mr. Floyd Rose ever made a guitar bridge, At least I heard it first around then. Spacing has nothing to do with tilt either. The distinction has only to do with the width of the pickup, specifically with the spacing between pole pieces. Moreover this is a concern mainly with the bridge side pickup where the strings are at their widest. You will most likely never hear of an f-spaced single coil simply because All single coils are f-spaced by default to there's no need to name them, though there are differences in length between neck, middle and bridge pups. Singles installed in G-spaced guitars are installed at an angle.

It is true G-spaced is considered standard but every mnufacturer has their own "names" to distinguish the two. For duncans, you want a "Trembucker" (f-spaced). So instead of an SH model you would ask for a TB. So if you wanted a JB for the bridge ask for TB-4 JB instead of SH-4 JB. Same applies to all their models. check the net for exact dimensions.

This is why I mentioned the ruler. Most shops stocking pickups in India are not aware of this distinction like laney said, so for you the simplest thing would be to find out the standard f-spacing width, I think it is ~52-53mm( pls confirm that) and measure. Or you could mock install it against any "Trem'med" guitar lying around to see if the poles line up with the strings

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

I always thought that F-spaced was for the tremolo... (*slaps head*)...

11. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Its most commonly used in context with tremolos so you are not wrong at all. :)

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

I can swear that i read that somewhere reliable though.

13. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Keep in mind that most replacement tune-o-matic bridges are f-spaced these days. My Tulasi PRS has a Korean TOM bridge. I measured the string spacing and it was f-spaced for the bridge(IIRC around 51mm) but regular spacing for the neck(~48mm). So I ordered my Dimarzios with a regular-spaced neck pickup and f-spaced bridge and sure enough the poles line up perfectly.Measure the spacing on YOUR guitar and order accordingly.

14. petermasc

petermasc New Member

as i said before i will be buying an ibanez rg1570.....this week hopefully...and need the tone zone soon...i did not like the tone of the v8.tallkien thanks for the info.

15. petermasc

petermasc New Member

a local shop quoted rs 5500/- for the TZ what do you guys think?

16. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Yeah, gibson was losing popularity with shredders for their narrower spacing so they've gone with the wider option for some time now, I suppose that's why the the term G-spaced isn't so commom nowadays. Even DiMarzio uses "standard" and "f-spaced" . The terms historically go back to when the guitar world was divided between fender and gibson which obviously doesn't apply anymore.

Yup those numbers are correct. That's how I would order pickups, if I were ordering...

And Laney, you're right...People do call it Floyd spacing or Fender spacing depending on who you ask. Come to think of it floyd spacing might be more apt these days. The lines keep getting blurred anyway. Have you seen John McLaughlin's guitar recently? At this rate pretty soon we'll have an all new JM-spacing