Pick slips out of hand

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Aerosmith, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Aerosmith

Aerosmith New Member

I've just started learning strumming.

From the very first, using a DDUDD strum pattern, i always notice that my pick slides down my hand into a grip that is not recommended by my tutors. This causes a different sound, so i have to stop in between.

Is there any remedy for this??

2. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

keep trying it will stop after some time ..................

3. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^Is the different sound something you like or something you dislike?

4. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

hold it harder

5. Aerosmith

Aerosmith New Member

if i hold it harder, it produces a very strong but ugly sound. Also, i cant strum smoothly with tat.

Thats why my tutor suggested a loose grip, but i guess practice should make me near to perfect ;)

6. vini

vini Repeat Offender

in my opinion>> try a pick wid uneven surface!...that would help u in gettin a good grip...but in any case u need to practice well..be it any kinda plectrum

7. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Your teacher is right. Hold it with a firm enough grip that your plectrum doesn't slip, but don't stiffen your fingers. You'll understand whatI'm saying after a few tries.

8. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Use a Jim Dunlop Nylon plectrum 0.6mm or so for strumming .. U can hold it lightly and get a smooth strummin as well .. works for me ..

9. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

Exactly, Jim Dunlop Nylon plectrum 0.6mm. Its grey in color ;) The place where you hold is somewhat rough which allows you to hold it properly.

10. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&*$@*^$

^^Use Feviquick :p:

Well, I think it will get better with practice, I also had this prob when I started ...

One of my frnd used to play with an used rough blade as he could hold it better than a pick(dunno how) ... I tried once to do the same but I cut my fingers, snapped a few strings and didnt like the weird sound the blade produced on my aucostic .. and stopped .....

11. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

practice the strummin slowly initially,try to get a feel of the plectrum....it sometimes happens that we r conscious about the plectrum that we do mess up in the strummin...so with gradual practice,ul be able to get it...it happens with every beginer.......don worry..keep practicin...

12. khuram82

khuram82 ......:mad:........

there could be two reasons (what i've experienced) for improper grips while playing.........

1. plec is too hard or too soft

2. plec material

if its number one then try plecs of different thickness..........in most cases thick plectrums give u a hardtime so mostly ppl use plecs of lower thicknesss i'll suggest go for plecs of 50mm or lower

or if u're already using the lower thickness plecs then try to use those plecs which have sort of rough feeling.......that actually dont slip out of ur fingers......u can find many plecs of different material....so check in to that i hope u get what i mean....

n yeah ofcourse practice is a must......but the above little things help u practice well.......work smart not hard :p:

cheers