Phrasing technique

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by born2tab, May 7, 2007.

1. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

Hi ,

I have been practicing this guitaring technique for the past 2 weeks.
    I was not aware of this until i heard it from a pro on the net.
    Liked it and started practicing it.

Phrasing is when you put your own personal timing and inflections into your playing but always stay in groove with the real timing of the music.

I have been practicing this phrasing exercise which I am sharing on IGT that will get anyone thinking about this form of expression as well as challenge
    your speed!

Basically what we're going to do is see how many notes you can squeeze in between beats! These tabs go up to seven notes per beat but you can keep adding a note until you reach your speed limit.

So Fire up your metronome or drum machine to 60 beats per minute for these.
    Remember, the only timing you absolutely must be accurate with is the first and last notes being on the beat! The timing of the notes in between the first and last notes is where you express yourself and you can't be wrong!
    Hope this may be of help to some begineers who really want to horn their skillset.:beer:

Any correction regarding phrasing is more than welcome.
    Lets make IGT what it used to be a year ago.Full of resources.:rock:

1 person likes this.
  2. yazi

yazi Banned

I suck at this. I somehow cannot subdivide the timings if I dun hear them. Like the beats are going 1...2...3...4..., I cannot play 4 exacts notes in between. Any help?

3. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

try playing at 40 beats per minute first .. gradualy increase your speed

4. born2tab

Yeah ^^^
    apart from this remember, the only timing you absolutely must be accurate
    with is the first and last notes being on the beat! The timing of the notes in between the first and last notes is where you express yourself and you can't be wrong!:beer:

5. born2tab

Thanks Lord for the reps.I really needed some:)

6. born2tab

And if some one has mastered this technique then do post the excercises they followed.Might be of help to me and others too.:beer:

7. born2tab

One thing I have noted or its just an illusion.
    IGTians are now no more interested in learning new skills but just trading away their notions,opinions and of course gears too.

Ppl this is my request.try to contribute as many tutorials like this one and make IGT a can of resources.
    Right now we are running out of resources.What all is left is eroding fast.
    IGT is now running on whatever was contributed by jayanth,jayaswami,subhro and all.

8. zicky5608

zicky5608 Power Shortage

And add arnold_aj too...me posted many tutorials too :S

9. born2tab

hmmmm:think:

10. RavinderKulsari

RavinderKulsari New Member

and it all helps ..thnx mannn..