Phishers target Yahoo Messenger ...

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by bob-bobby, Mar 25, 2005.

1. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

ahoo's free instant-messaging service is being targeted by phishers attempting to steal usernames, passwords and other personal information.

Yahoo confirmed Thursday that its service, Yahoo Messenger, was being targeted by a scam. According to the company, attackers are sending members a message containing a link to a fake Web site. The fake site looks like an official Yahoo site and asks the user to log in by entering a Yahoo ID and password.

Source

gosh , this was the only thing remainin ,,.... now we 'll all freaky kind of messages from our yahoo messenger , eik :shock:

2. silent_dragon

silent_dragon Immortal guitarist

ya i read that too ant it also says that the scam is convincing because the original message seems to arrive from someone on the victim's friends list. Should the recipient of the phishing message enter his details on the Web site, the attackers can gain access to any personal information stored in the victim's profile and, more important, access to the victim's contact list and IM friends list.

A Yahoo representative told ZDNet Australia on Thursday the attack was not very widespread but that consumers should be aware it exists so they can protect themselves.

"Hackers have become very devious in their methods to obtain personal information," the representative said. "In this case, the hacker was able to trick the user into providing personal information by disguising their identity to make it appear that the message was coming from a trusted source."

but no matter what the authorities do, the hackers will find a way out of this too!!!
    damn hackers :cen:

3. silent_dragon

silent_dragon Immortal guitarist

A newly discovered flaw in Firefox could allow cybercriminals to take advantage of Web surfers

A vulnerability in Firefox could make users of the open source browser more likely to fall for phishing scams.

The flaw in Mozilla Firefox 1.0, details of which were published by Secunia on Tuesday, allows malicious hackers to spoof the URL in the download dialog box which pops up when a Firefox user tries to download an item from a Web site. This flaw is caused by the dialog box incorrectly displaying long sub-domains and paths, which can be exploited to conceal the actual source of the download.

Mikko Hyppönen, director of antivirus research at F-Secure, said this bug could make Firefox users vulnerable to cybercriminals. "The most likely way we could see this exploited would be in phishing scams," said Hyppönen.

To fall victim to such a scam, a Firefox user would have to click on a link in an email that pointed to a spoofed Web site and then download malware from the site, which would appear to be downloaded from a legitimate site.

This flaw was given a severity rating of two out of a possible five by Secunia :shock: :shock:
    i oughta kick their a**:mad:

4. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

gosh this thing seems to get more serious ...

Microsoft Corp. has filed 117 lawsuits against unknown Internet site operators who used "phishing" schemes to obtain personal and financial information from unsuspecting consumers, the world's largest software maker said Thursday.

Often scam artists pose as banks or other legitimate businesses, sending out millions of e-mails or pop-up Web advertisements with requests that the recipient update their account information but instead direct them to fake sites.

Source

5. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

yes... my sis wont go on yahoo.... :grin:...:)

6. nadish

nadish Active Member

I dont think that this idea helped them a lot.... I think Phishers have to try some other thing if they really wanna steal Yahoo's complete Data Base....