Personal Sound Tastes

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by tallkien, Apr 27, 2007.

1. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Ok this is to get an idea of what kind of sounds you like to hear coming out of an amp. I would like you guys to pick three common songs where the amp tone made you sit up and take notice. avoid songs that might have a huge distortion thrown in front of it. Could be from any era.
    I want to know if you guys prefer the classic tones of yesteryear or something more modern sounding. I'll make my own inferences on what would best suit you, just be honest.

The 18 is a classic sounding amp and I'm thinking it may not appeal to everyone here, but there are other similar amps that I'm sure will but I'd like you to do this first

So Three songs, any era, any genre and we'll try to ID personal amps. This does not mean you'll be buying them, it's just to get a feel for personal tastes. Picking a song you liked is a lot easier than describing a sound in words

2. yazi

yazi Banned

1. Crazy Train - Ozzy
    2. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
    3. Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Lord of Light, The Re-incarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Different Worlds - Iron Maiden (I think it's the difference in guitars, and pickup positions, but the general Marshallness of it all)

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

Moonshield, The Jester's Dance - In Flames (the clean bits)

Wait, do you mean similar sounds in all 3 songs?

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

I dont get it sorry....i can post any three songs ?

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

3 tones are just too less.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

anywya I will still list as many songs as I want.

Following are almost similar:
    Man on the Silver Mountain - Rainbow
    Burn - Deep Purple
    Still I am Sad

7. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

My take

1.Mother russia - Iron maiden.

2.Hell awaits - Slayer

3.Rust in peace, THe lord is my shepherd - Megadeth

8. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

feel free to add as many as you like, but we're on the right track...keep 'em coming

they do not have to be similar, but the AMP has to play a significant part in your reasoning for why you like that sound. So try to ignore (if possible) things like single coil vs humbuckers, strat vs les Paul etc. I'm looking for those songs that made you go "I WANT THAT AMP" not I want that guitar or pedal or pickups etc. You don't even have to like the song, just the "sound"

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I am a sucker for classic rock and Blues sounds. Some of my favourite tones would be(in no particular order):

- Clapton(Beano album, Cream)....Marshall Bluesbreaker
    - Hendrix(clean, fuzz, distorted... anything)...Marshall
    - Paul Kossoff (Free)...Marshall
    - Blackmore...modded Marshall
    - Duane Allman/ Dicky Betts (Allman Brothers Band)...Marshall JTM 45 I believe
    - Gilmour....Hiwatt + tons of effects

As you can see, I like all kinds of legendary classic tones. Anything by these guys works for me. Just too many songs to list out..I like their 'signature' sounds. I guess I would really like a classic Marshall flavored amp:grin:

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Glasgow Kiss
    Bodom Beach Terror
    Cemetary Gates
    EVERY DAMN CREED SONG...

11. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

hmmm....I should do either a 36W or a JCM800. or the smaller EL34 Single ended ones.

So the general concensus is for BIG, FAT, BROWN sound...me too actually :)

Mine would be Blackmore, Neil Young, Satch (Crystal Planet, SBM), SRV, hendrix

So I guess we have a winner then

Ok the point of this exercise was to try and Identify what tubes you guys might prefer in your amps, and it looks like its down to the 6V6 for around 20W and EL34 for upto 50W. One notable exception would be the 36W (Very similar to a JTM 45) with EL84s. Cool...That helps a lot

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

I can help design...ive been arnd the ESP forums and those guys have some great amp heads.....If you need pics just let me know.....Make a H&K head please!

13. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

will have to see. Which model are we talking about?

14. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

hendrix
    gilmour
    john frusciante

basically something which is thick but will cut through...i hope i make some sense.

15. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I know just what you mean ;) Actually that H&K Puretone is a fairly good idea of what an 18/36 watt would sound like. Listen to that clip and tell me what you think of it

16. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

^The trilogy is hot....and that signature one that lights up like a xmas tree when u turn it on

17. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Which clip, where?

18. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

wat does H&K stand for?

19. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

hughes & kettner?

20. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

On the site, And there's no way that amp is running Class A. In fact the Puretone design is very simple, much like mine would be

https://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=sound&id=1#

and If you can figure out how that panel lights up I'll build it, coz I have noooo clue