Pedals v.s Processors

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Strings dnt lie, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Strings dnt lie

Strings dnt lie New Member

aww man..i never thot manmohan singh could inflict such damage on my guitar budget.. :(

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Not just Mannu, but all the rogues in the govt.

"Power will go to rascals, rogues, freebooters. . . .
    All leaders will be of low caliber & men of straw. . .
    They'll have sweet tongues & silly hearts. . .
    They will fight amongst themselves for power & the two countries will be lost in poli...tical squabbles. . . .
    A day would come when even air & water will be taxed."

3. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Lets not get political in this thread .. at least..

4. Strings dnt lie

ya man i was jst jokin..btw the reason i need a decent processor is i may have to play live..not sure but there is a chance..so i need sumtin good to work with eventho im probably only gonna play a few chords..

5. Strings dnt lie

@alpha1:
    btw r those winston churchill's words?.. :/

6. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

No... His own... He is Winston Churchill resurrected.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dong कभी wrong नहीं होता !

8. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Dong कभी wrong नहीं होता
    alpha1 कभी Bong नहीं होता
    आओ सब मिलके करे troll...
    RollLol RollLol RollLol

9. Strings dnt lie

lol!..dis is going way outta topic!..mr.winston churchill#2 seems to be pretty good at hindi too!..mayb he shud run for the presidential polls?..

10. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

Bringing it back on topic. It all depends on the usage and budget. At lower end of a budget, like yours a processor would make sense. Btw if on an good enough budget i would personally go for pedals over processors. True i havent heard many high end processors but then the ones that impress me are the Eleven rack or the Fractal Audio ones which are damn expensive. I'd rather get a nice amp like a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier or the Hughes and Kettner Triamp with some pedals like ISP Decimator, TS9, DS-1, Tuner like Tech21 Polytune or if you are generous a Peterson Strobostomp, A Delay pedal(DD-7), A reverb pedal, A whammy pedal(Digitech Whammy), A wah.(Wait this is damn expensive too :p ) sorry coming back to you, you wont get much with 10k in the pedals department so a processor it is. My fellow IGTians have given some nice recommendations.

11. Strings dnt lie

thanks evry1..mayb goin for a better amp is a gud idea..its only due to the possibility of playin live dat i hav considered a processor..

12. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

concentrate on improvin UR technique and on stage if u are a metal head then all u need for most of the songs is Jus a kickass distortion tone. Get an amplifier wit inbuilt effects wit line out feature. And carry that one for live gigs.

Upgrade to another amp and processor after a year or 2.

13. Strings dnt lie

im not a metal head..i play rythm..n i dont have a steady band or anytin..i just play with a few groups for experience n sumtyms if they need me then ill play on stage..till now iv gone on stage just once and that was as a vocalist not guitarist..so zero stage experience as a guitarist..

14. ss192

ss192 New Member

But your friends play metal, right?

15. Strings dnt lie

well yes some of them do..but im not gonna be on stage wid dem..they dont really need another rythm guy..i also jam with a group dat does mainly punk rock/alternative..n also with another group dat does indian music..

16. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

whateve u do avoid gettin a cheap processor. Stick to a good amplifier wit inbuilt effects and u will b more than satisfied.
    If u want to invest in an amp which u can use it along wit a processor or pedals in the future then Go for sumthin wit clean and distortion channel on the amp only NO effects

17. Strings dnt lie

makes sense but can u please elaborate on the full benefits of such a decision?..i just want to be absolutely sure..

18. ss192

ss192 New Member

Cheap processor+ Average amp = bad tone right?

19. henrynh

henrynh New Member

The amps that would be good for you are these (you will want to keep these around as a spare even if you decide to buy professional amps later):
    Vox Valvetronix Pro VTX150 Neodymium
    Vox Valvetronix VT80+, VT40+
    Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
    Peavey Vypyr 75, Vypyr 100
    Roland Cube-80XL
    Fender Mustang IV

The amps you should avoid are these:
    Laney LX series, Marshall MG series, Line 6 Spider series, Fender Frontman series

The processors you should be looking at are these only, avoid everything else:
    Zoom G3X/G3/G5, Digitech RP90/RP255/RP355/RP500

If you decide to buy one of these processors you'll need to use either headphones/hi-fi stereo or keyboard amp/powered speakers to amplify them. You could always use them as an effects unit with a guitar amp, so they are a keeper. In other words they are useful even if you do not use their amp modeling capabilities.

Whether you buy a cheapo practice amp or expensive stadium amp, ultimately it will only sound as good to the audience as the quality of the PA system of the live venue & how well it is mic'd up, irrespective of what pedals you buy to add spice to it. Always remember this.
    And we are not in 1960 anymore, technology has improved significantly over time, it is time to audition new devices that are available to guitarists in the year 2012. A lot of good & different stuff is available at reasonable price points that would cost too much to reproduce with single individual units. Buy carefully according to your needs, saving up a bit more to get something better does not hurt either.

20. Strings dnt lie

thanks man those are some solid options..and i do understand the live perfomance sounds are not only in our hands..one time i was on stage they dint give us enough time to set up our monitors proprerly..so there was virtually no feedback and i had to go stand among the audience to actly hear what i was singing..and when i did i was horrified 2 hear how different it sounded from what we practised..kinda sad cuz we spend a lot of time gettin the right tone and all..was a big waste..