Pedal/Processor Advice

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Maxima, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Maxima

Maxima New Member

So I have been playing guitar for more than a year now, but only 3 months on electric, so I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good starting pedal/processor.

Firstly,I have read that pedals,though they have less number of effects, give a very good tone and therefore I would prefer pedals over processor.

Secondly, My budget is about 4K and i know that i wont get any decent processors in this range,hence my favourable opinion towards pedal.(Some boss pedals on Bajaao,like DS-1 are in my budget for those who think that i wont get anything in this budget.)

Thirdly, The tone of sound what i wish to get is that of bands like Metallica/Megadeth and other old(good) thrash/metal bands.

Fourthly, My Rig is as follows(Starter gear):
    Ibanez GRG 170DX
    20W hybrid Stranger Amp

Fifthly, My location is NCR (if that helps) and I have visited the Onstage in Noida, and they only have Line 6 products and a Classing Jimi Hendrix Wah Pedal(Out of budget).

Sixthly, Any good Second hand pedals/processors are also welcomed.

2. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

stranger amp :S save up some more go with processor. and yeah DS-1 won't give you metallica or any kinda metal tone.

3. distorted

distorted satan

see... Its like, a single pedal wont cater to all yr needs... U myt b playing distortion mostly, but sometyms u do need certain effects like delay, chorus, reverb, eq settings, noise reduction etc etc.... so that wud go very well abv 20-25 k... N as u r new to the world of effects, it is advisable dat u go fr a multifx processor, it will help u in undstanding the effects better... N fr the amp u r using the difference bw a processor n pedal wont be very significant (if u compare pedals n processors worth equal amt of money)... So the best option fr u is to pik up a multifx,.. Fr the budget u hv u can gt a second hand beginners processor, i've got a digitech rp80 fr sale... Just in case u r interested pm me.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

AMT Du Hast will get you pretty cool thrash metal tone.

But I guess it is priced little more than your budget.

5. Maxima

Maxima New Member

Hmm, so it seems logical to buy a multifx processor atm and later get a good amp and then pedals.

But i dont want to buy a multifx processor and when i get a good amp then buy pedals for the tone i need. Also,i have a friend who has a Zoom G2.1u and he lends me that quite often. Hence i want to buy pedals atm and then amp later.

So kindly suggest a good pedals/shop where i can try out the pedals and decide for myself what i need.
    Thanks everyone.

6. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Any pedal worth buying will sound like crap thru your amp. The option that you do have is to go for a pedal with cab emultion. Like the AMTs, But if you do get a better amp later on those wont necessarily give you the sound you want.

So my advice is get a cheap ass processor, like the zoom G2 and then sell when you can afford better gear.

7. distorted

distorted satan

M telling u again, a single pedal can nvr cater to yr needs... I got a metallizer, but i dont play it directly into amp, i use it thru G2.1u (as i dont hv odr pedals fr financial constraints)... Dats almost inevitable... So dat muddles the tone... So m trying to sell it n get a bigger processor dat gives me a variety of effects wid decent quality...

8. Side_Show_Joy

Side_Show_Joy New Member

Its very very very very difficult to get anything in your price range...but the only pedal I would recommend for what you want to play...if you can find one...is a ProCo Rat.

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

ProCo for thrash ... really?

10. Side_Show_Joy

Side_Show_Joy New Member

Hetfield used it on Kill 'em All...

11. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

This may not be very helpful and it may be a little outta your budget, but you could try getting a pocket pod from the united states .You will not be using your amp in this case You will only need a good set uh headphones.The tone you get with this setup will be much better than any multi fx or single pedal out there through your amp.If this cannot be done ,try getting a zoom g1x.May not give you a pod quality tone , but it is a great tool to practice with because of the drum machine and also lets you play around with the expression pedal.

12. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

n i forgot to tell you about the line6 toneport gx . If you have a decent computer , i recommend you get it.I have one and its really good for the price.Its about rs.3500 in bajaao.

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

But surely he must've used the Marshall for the distortion, not the ProCo.
    In any case, the distortion on the Kill em all album is pretty hard rockish than thrash metallish.

14. ajesh_mani

ajesh_mani New Member

everyone has different choices ....reading this ..i thought i wud get to knw something ..but i m confused now

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

... That is the whole point of any discussion