Peavey Royal 8

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by thehundredthone, Oct 27, 2009.

1. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

A 110 combo is almost impossible, it's too big and weighs too much.

There are some very interesting mods to be had for the BH5H (and others if you have the know-how/money), especially the Power Scaling mod.

https://www.powerscaling.com/community/index.php
    https://www.londonpower.com/pscaling.htm

The budget for the cab would be based on savings next year, I don't earn. Until then I was considering using my existing Laney LX35R with a 10" as the cab.

Still no word from my friend, which is obviously the final word. Maybe I'll ask him to bring down a Power Scaling kit instead and then buy the Laney next year and mod it/get it modded haha.

2. flood

flood New Member

not very familiar with the effects of power scaling on such a low-wattage amp. london power kits are not too cheap, but definitely worth every buck. KoC knows his stuff. and how!

[spam]if the alternatives are confusing you, feel free to PM me and i think i could work out a low-power, averagely versatile head within your budget. i'm preparing a run of amplifiers, maybe i could squeeze one in.[/spam]

i still have to post clips and pics of the last amp. i have them in gmail, but need to find a mediahost.

3. thehundredthone

4. flood

flood New Member

12W? not possible. where did you read that? it would have to contradict physical laws to do that. you're looking at 6-7 W max, i would say.

what might be leading you to that train of thought is that the EL84 is rated (or recommended) at 12W maximum plate dissipation. 14.5W is absolute maximum rating, but not guaranteed for continuous operation, and you're more than likely to see the EL84 redplate under those conditions. however, the maximum efficiency of a class A amplifier is only 50%. the rest is converted to heat energy. so you aren't getting more than 6W under normal circumstances, maybe 7.5 if you really torture the tube.

5. thehundredthone

Haha sorry I mixed up PMPO and RMS. Either way the 5W will be too loud to crank up in the bedroom.