Paint Job

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by perseus, Jun 14, 2009.

1. perseus

perseus New Member

Paint Job, Information Requested

Does anyone know of a reliable place in Bangalore to strip, refinish and repaint a solid body?
    Looked around online, saw where one guy said auto shops were the only (nearly) safe option for professional results.
    Further information appreciated.

2. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

Auto shops do a pretty nice job!
    Unless you are one the DIYers like me!

Get it done! Much easier and costs nothing as compared to the time and space you would waste DIY!

3. perseus

perseus New Member

Hear ya. Built a few guitars (no chopping down trees, just ordering parts) back in the day, but always had the bodies professionally painted and sprayed. That was in the states, thus my question.
    Bounced it off wife, pardon expression, "A local carpenter should be able to do it." "......"

On another note, why do we photograph our guitars on beds? What's up with that? (Slow groove music playing, "Mmm hmm. Lookin' fine t'nite, baby. Been waitin' for this. Mm mm mm."

4. detritus

detritus New Member

Actually the weirder thing I've seen is guitars propped up on trees.. the bed pictures is a fairly indian trait as far as I've noticed.

I'm actually painting a guitar that I'm building right now.. you should try doing it yourself, its hard work and the results wont be great.. but it is pretty damn satisfying.
    I cant stop running my fingers over the body each time I finish sanding another coat down xD

5. perseus

perseus New Member

Propped up on trees?
    "Mm hmm. Gettin' down with nature now, baby. Howzat make ya feel?"

Na, want this one laser sharp, one color, mirror finish. Will get it done one way or another, just curious whether anyone in Bangalore knows of a reputable place.

6. perseus

perseus New Member

This inscrutable silence mean no one knows? C'mon, guys, professional paint jobs; guitar shop, auto shop. Motorcycle shop. 10 million people in this city and no one refinishes solid body electrics?

7. detritus

detritus New Member

There's bound to be some luthiers in bangalore, ask in the guitar stores maybe.

8. perseus

perseus New Member

Looks like that's what I'm gonna have to do. Leery of "Oh yeah, sure, my cousin Raj refinishes guitars. He's a pro." "Great, I'll bring it in then. Seeya." "Shop owner rushes to phone, "Raj? We've hit the jackpot, a foreigner wants his guitar refinished...Dunno, American I think...You got any spare cans of spray paint in the shack?..Purple? Only purple? Na, said he wanted 'Olympic White' *chuckle*, just bring the purple."

9. distorted

distorted satan

Dunno abt banglore, but u can contact tulsi guy in chennai... Got my guitar built by him. Paint job is satisfactory. Willl do it fr sum 2000 INR.
    N dere's one luthier in pondicherry... His name just skipped my mind... Search the forum, u'll get his contact info.

10. perseus

perseus New Member

Newp. Gonna order another body. Long distance, Warmoth being one of the few trustworthy companies.

Fckng expensive.

11. perseus

perseus New Member

12. perseus

perseus New Member

13. perseus

perseus New Member

14. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

Lol, good performance, followed by good crowd-conversing. Is it normal to have *that* much conversation in a gig though? (even if it was the 'old' times) No wonder there were so many DLR love-hate debates there.

15. detritus

detritus New Member

Vids not available in my country =(

And. for srs? you'd rather order the expensive body than try painting it yourself first? I just got done painting mine.. and it actually came out looking quite good, just a few dents where i put the guitar on the ground before the paint dried.
    You could get the mirror finish easy if you used a load of clear lacquer and procure a buffer.