Overview of the ten major Linux distributions

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by alpha1, Aug 1, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

https://www.linuxforums.org/reviews/overview_of_the_ten_major_linux_distributions.html

The Microsoft Windows operating system is developed and released by a single company. It comes with a minimal set of applications (a calculator, a few games, some networking tools, an Internet browser.. etc). Other software can be obtained by users from various sources and installed on the operating system.

GNU/Linux is different. A GNU/Linux operating system is made of a Linux kernel, a set of GNU tools, an installation program, a package management system and a lot of other software components. Because all these components are free to use and to distribute, anybody can assemble and configure them according to their needs and create their very own GNU/Linux operating system. Since 1993, a lot of people and companies have been distributing Linux operating systems. These distributions made it easy for people to get and to install a working GNU/Linux system on their personal computer.

At first only a few distributions were available. Nowadays there are so many, that it would be pointless to compare all of them. The website https://www.distrowatch.com lists more than 350 active distributions and reports new releases almost every day. Of course, some distributions are quite similar, although some others are very different to each others. Depending on your needs you'll prefer some more than others.

All distributions include the Linux kernel developed by Linus Torvalds and the GNU tools developed by Richard Stallman but they don't necessarily use their latest versions. Some distributions even make their own changes to the kernel. Distributions usually differ in the choice of software applications they offer, in the way these software applications are configured and in the way they are installed and upgraded. Distributions also differ in many aspects such as their philosophy towards proprietary software, their priorities between ease of use and efficiency or between stability and latest technology. In fact, every distribution is different and this means you have more than 350 ways to run GNU/Linux!

Of course some distributions are more popular than others. This article is dedicated to the 10 most famous and popular: Debian, Slackware, Fedora, Mandriva, Suse, Ubuntu, Knoppix, Gentoo, Mepis and Xandros.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

OOps, someone change the title to : "Overview of the ten major Linux distributions"

3. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

Slackware rules....:)....tho not for the Windows addict....Fedora core is also good....

4. cronix

cronix New Member

Isnt posting the links to other forums in IGT banned.

BTW i completely agree to what alpha1 said. But at the same time Linux is not as user friendly as windows which is the main reason for the market dominance of microsoft. Of course linux can be customised but majority of users dont want to go through so many aches when they are getting a good user friendly package from microsoft.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hehe :)
    I didnt say anything.

I jsut copy pasted the text from the website.

6. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Wen u talk bout Linux..... For me, Xandros rules....This version of linux is awesome!

7. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Windows is user friendly because people are used to it since long and CHANGE always gives rise to resistance .. still from a programmer's point of view Linux is preferable.

Of the linuxs I've worked on .. Fedora is cool ..

8. cronix

cronix New Member

^^^ i agree.... but thats how it is now and linux will have to co-op with the market trend if it wants to increase its user base

9. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

^^Hey, wot do ya guys say bout ubuntu?? I heard dat it's the best nd dled and found that it's the slowest ever!! Wanted to install from live CD and it took 3 mins to show the first dialog box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
    wazzup?? Can anybody explain??

10. cronix

cronix New Member

^^^^ ubuntu is the best bcoz it is the most user friendly and has the most features..... it can get slow though

11. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

U call dat slow!!It's super duper slow!! It's slower than bill gates's brain!!

12. cronix

cronix New Member

^ oh dont say that..... bill gates has a super brain.... oh yes he is a thug but he's got the best goddamn bussiness brain there is..... i mean he is a dropout for gods sake and look at the money he made in these years.

13. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

^^Dat's y his new WGA s are cracked within 24 hrs by the street hackers :p:

After his company invented XP, he has become a heck...

14. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

nope...that's because there thousand times more people who r interestd in cracking MS software than other OSs....

15. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Agreed :RollLol:
    N' there is no more OS to crack! :RollLol:
    Poor Bill...
    Let's use KillBill :p:

16. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Agreed with light_of_erindi ..

Almost all viruses n crack attempts have been made with microsoft in mind in the past ..

lets see how far the crackers succeed to crack linux .. Tis difficult though coz of open source .. continuously "the world" is working on it to make it better ..