Overdrive / Fuzz Suggestion

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Feb 6, 2006.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    I am thinking of disposing my Keeley Modded Boss BD2. I like the pedal a lot but I have a different sound in mind and also GAS. So I am looking a new LOW GAIN Overdrive pedal. It should have absolute warmth and have a sweet tone. I dont need much gain and dont care about a long sustain. All I want is it should drip with tone. Any suggestions.

I am also thinking of disposing my Carl Martin Clean Boost and planning to use a Tube Screamer as a Boost. I like the Tube Screamer 'cos it colours up my tone just for the solo. I am looking at either a Tube Screamer or an amazing sounding Fuzz pedal for a Clean Boost.

Please pour in suggestions. I dont want any Boss, Digitech, DOD, thingies... Looking for some real good pedals.

2. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Electro-Harmonic Big Muff Pie
    Keeley Electronics Fuzz Head
    Maxon OD-9 (duh:))

3. ronnieanand

EH Big Muff is too gainy.
    Keeley Fuzz Head is inbetween a Fuzz and Overdrive. I kinda liked the clips. That's in my list.
    Maxon OD9. Not very good reviews about them from users. Looks like Ibanez TS9 is better than that. Even after modding them, TS9 seems to be winning over OD9. After liking the Maxon CS9 Pro, I was thinking of other Maxon pedals too.

I am currently looking at this Toadworks Death Rattle. Any more suggestions please. If you know something that has a Tweedy tone, then plz plz :nw: :nw: :nw: .

4. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

The BEST overdrive pedal i ever heard is definitely the Fulltone OCD - It sounds so amazing and it responds too well to variation in guitar volume , picking sensitivity. Check it out.

The fuzz pedal i liked a lot is the Bixonic Expandora Reissue - i've seen it on satriani's pedalboard

Another one - Barber Burn Unit.

5. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

And let me know if you're disposing the BD-2

6. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

About the TS-9/OD9 thing, I've heard the exact opposite. A good article about it-
    https://www.legendarytones.com/maxon_9_series.htm
    Also an OD808 would make sense maybe.
    Two more ideas:Klon Centaur and Maxon OD-820 Pro...very expensive though.
    The much-hyped Timmy as well ( I know you're there on TGP:)).

7. ronnieanand

I have almost decided on this Barber Direct Drive. Still checking out.

For you guys. There's a new guy called Vodkamods. Check out his mods on TS9. He will blow you away.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hey
    what about teh Blackstone?

9. ronnieanand

Didn't like it.

My current fav. are Toadworks Death Rattle II and Barber Direct Drive. I prefer the Toadworks Death Rattle II. When I wanted to order this, it was out of stock and hence got stuck with the AMTs. I guess no more AMT pedals for me. :p: . But I am not disposing them, so dont ask. :p: :aggre:

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    I said Blackstone coz I liked its overdrive sound (as per the clips).

:) I guess you explained me the situation about teh AMT pedals pretty well so dont worry :grin:

Hey those Toads are cool pedals, handmade, nice tones.

11. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Hey Call me dude incase u selling the BD2

12. ronnieanand

Sure. Will do that. TS7 is really nice but has a very little gain even in the Hot Mode. But the tone is really good. How is TS9 in comparison with this.

I am totally torn between keeping the BD2 and the search for a different sound. One day I wanna sell it and next day I wanna keep it. Anyway when I have decided, I will let you know.