overclocking

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by silent_dragon, Mar 20, 2005.

1. silent_dragon

silent_dragon Immortal guitarist

anyone here who's tried overclocking his/her machine.tell me abt it.

2. neologik

neologik New Member

basically overclocking means running ur comp at a clock frequency higher than wht it's supposed to run at.
    normally when u get ur processor especially athlons, they r set at a speed which is even lower than the advertised speed. for eg. a 1.8 GHz proc could be clocked at 1.3 GHz.
    wht u have to do is basically change clock frequency.
    in older motherboards this was done by changing jumpers. then in most of newer boards there r dip switches. the later ones like the AMD 64 bit boards have software settings which means tht u can go to bios and directly change the speed there.
    generally ull have the second type of board.
    if u read ur manual there'll be a table like thingy tht'l tell u on wht position of the switches wht clk freq ull get for ur CPU, PCI and AGP.
    change tht to wht u want. REMEMBER GO STEP BY STEP, THT IS INCREMENT IN LOWEST STEPS POSSIBLE N KEEP STARTING UR COMP. DECREASE TO ONE STEP LOWER THE MOMENT UR COMP ACTS WIERD.
    thus ull reach the advertised speed.
    now the proc is capable of going still further. but the biggest prob in this is tht of heating. so it is suggested tht before overclocking u put one or two extra fans.
    then follow the above steps again. dont take ur comp to the maximum. let it be one or two step below.
    now a days generally boards dont blow up unless u set a very high feq they just dont strt. so it's a little less risky. nevertheless it still is possible tht u end up with 6000 bucks worth of paper weight.
    best of luck trying to overclock it. ask ne doubts u have before trying though.

3. silent_dragon

thnx neologik, but it seems u didn't get my request.i was asking if anyone had tried to do it, and what happened if he/she did it.i already know abt clocking and hav clocked my pc to some extent without any probs. but,hey...from reading ur reply i believe noone could've explained the term better...keep it up.:beer:

4. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

When I used to be into games a few years ago I had managed to take my old Pentium III 500 Mhz to 575 Mhz. Not a big jump but back then those slot CPUs used to heat up to a great extent.

I also tried overclocking my new Athlon XP+ 2500 (standard clock 1.83 Ghz) just for the heck of it (even though I don't play video games anymore). I managed to get it up to 2.3 Ghz before the system started becoming unstable. But then again I had a high performance cooler on the CPU. You may not get the same results if you have the stock cooler. I believe the system could have gone even higher because I think my memory sticks didn't have RAM sinks on them and weren't the best quality. If I had Crucial or OCZ sticks the system could probably have gone way higher.

There are also reports of people getting the Barton series to unbelievable levels of performance. Check out this website -> https://www.vr-zone.com/guides/AMD/Barton/

5. silent_dragon

wow dude their machines r really worth the money!!!

6. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Actually they aren't. Most of these very high overclocks are possible only by using extreme cooling like liquid nitrogen which freezes the CPU to -52 C. Performance can be raised at temperatures like this until you reach the maximum limit of the CPU itself without worrying about heat dissipation.

The downside to this is that you are basically freezing your computer. Most CPUs that are subjected to liquid nitrogen cooling will stop functioning after 3 or 4 hours of continuous running. These tests are just to show the maximum capacity for overclocking. It is not a real world representation of what is possible for average use.

EDIT: You can see next to the images of WCPUID showing the various system stats, they have the specifications for the system as well as the cooling used. LN2 referes to a cooling system (Liquid Nitrogen 2). There are some others too like Dry Ice Cooling but they all destroy the CPU after a while.

7. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

imho its not worth overclocking for the simple fact below:

so you decide ;)

as for on the cooling side having an excellent air cooling system still isnt enough, your best bet is to utilise water cooling systems, perhaps combined with air cooling.

and when i mean air cooling i dont mean stick one extra fan into the case your looking at around six. two on the side chassis, two at the back and two on the top.

8. silent_dragon

now i believe the water cooling stuff is a bit risky!!!

9. nadish

nadish Active Member

Gud neo logic