Opening a recording studio

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by bjr, Jan 5, 2008.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Ok. I need help...or opinions anyway. I'd appreciate minimal spam.

In the long term, I kinda like the idea of running a recording studio...perhaps even be a sessions guitarist for hire. It's just a passing fancy for now and this is the first place that I'm looking for opinions. I'd like to know the basics of starting out. I'm not looking into costs involved in the place but I'd appreciate information on what equipment one should have and the cost. Also perhaps a link or two to sites that are related.

Then I'd also like to float the idea of a practice pad(s) cum studio. Is it feasible with proper soundproofing?

Also, if you're into recording, how much do you pay to use a studio and where do you live?

I realize that the questions are haphazard but these are the first things I could think of. I can keep asking more questions as this thread goes along.

Any related information or idea appreciated.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You really believe ppl knowing all that would hang around here?

3. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

Well, someone's friends might know..=/

Mine are too young for this -_-

4. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

well, raj(kaiser) has a studio...but yeh he doesnt log on these days i think

5. Super-Admin

Super-Admin Administrator Staff Member

what is ur budget? location?

6. Keoraf

Keoraf Keyboard Player

Hey BJR, i don't know how serious you are about your recording studio, but if you really want to build a professional studio, its gonna be a very, very expensive job, so be assure of that!!!
    Here are some links, maybe it will give you an idea about what you will need to build a professional recording studio:

https://emusician.com/tutorials/emusic_build_personal_studio/

https://www.build-a-recording-studio.com/

https://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_build_a_budget_studio.htm

https://www.record-producer.com/index.cfm

Here some videos:
    https://www.expertvillage.com/interviews/pro-recording-studio-equipment.htm

For more links, just google for it and good luck!!!

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I said it was just a passing fancy at this point so Im not serious yet but I really want to know the costs involved. In the long term, I do see myself at least wanting to. Thanks ever so much for the links. I can't check them out just yet but will do so in a day or two and ask you further queries.

8. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

My friend owns a studio.
    I don't know how much of a help this would be to you but, he has got most of his equipments from Singapore at a relatively low cost.

Basics would include a good mixer, professional recording/editing software like Cakewalk Pro/Nuendo, quality microphones, soundproofing.

Btw, Most stuff can be (and IS) programmed using different softwares in most recordings. Things like Acoustic/electric guitars, drums, violin and almost everything.

Capital investment is no doubt high, and the recovery of the money is also slow, but people who open studios don't do it JUST for money do they?

9. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

Make it in Delhi. Even if you aren't serious. I'll give my left leg for a studio and a gig pad in Delhi. Coz we have none here, or atleast, none for bands.
    The only studio I've seen is the one in National School of Drama, and the stuff looks pretty serious there...They've got a neat pc (external HDD, two joined monitors, the software was Nuendo, I think), 4 ginormous Tannoy speakers, then those noise-cancelling headphones, mics by Shure...Must've cost a fortune :shock:
    They've also got a Korg keyboard around...why not invest in one of those as well? (Knock knock, Keoraf o.o) They'd be pretty good for on-the-spot instrument reproduction.

10. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

Yeah, I forgot to mention the Keyboard.

Btw, my friend says that in order to record live instruments professionally, we need very high quality sets of Everything, be it the microphones or the instruments.

That's the reason they go for programming (which is noiseless too).

11. ultrabot90

^On second thoughts, keyboard would be required only if the people who come for recording dont have instruments of their own...and thats super dumb if they are a band, and justifiable only if they want to record vocals. That packs it up for programming as well. Programming and keyboard are literally the same, both utilize MIDI -_-

12. ReBoRn

ReBoRn New Member

Hmm ..interesting!

13. Super-Admin

There are too many studios already in Mumbai I think it’s a saturated market. Return on Investment would be better if you invested in IT and Telecom stocks or Mutual Funds rather than a music recording studio. Also opening a studio doesn’t mean you will have business.

You will also have to think of reoccurring payment to staff, property tax, maintenance tax, service tax, profession tax, employees provident fund, insurance, rent (if applicable), rent tax (if applicable), daily upkeep charges, snacks (tea/coffee), electricity charges. Internet charges, phone charges, monthly Chartered Accountant charges.

If you run a studio it won’t make any financial sense if it’s not run consistently. You need to have constant sessions to even break even.

14. ultrabot90

Well said, sir. XD That's why I thought of the band-association thing, there are so many bands in Delhi waiting for encouragement in their field...a gig pad+studio would work wonders in this environment.

15. ReBoRn

ReBoRn New Member

16. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

You had to show us that eh?

@bjr: Location is very important now I guess.

17. Super-Admin

Thats a great setup. how much did the entire thing cost ya?

18. ultrabot90

I'm really getting tired of seeing half-stacks...that studios way too cool! >_<
    But somehow, not as impressive as the NSD one @_@
    @ReBoRn - Yeah, jam rooms are more to-the-point. But we should see what bjr posted in the first post. He wants a studio first x_x

19. ReBoRn

ReBoRn New Member

there's no point of 'owning' a professional studio in my opinion..

20. ReBoRn

ReBoRn New Member