OPEN STRINGS and TRANSPOSING

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by Bandbaaja, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

Transposing a song means not playing it in the key it was originally intended but in a key higher or lower than it.
    The keyboardists have a TRANSPOSE BUTTON, which they can use to transpose the key to whatever note, and yet play the same keys in the keyboard,
    BUT ALAS :(
    WE GUITARISTS DO NOT HAVE THIS SUPER FACILITY
    NO BUTTONS, NO SYNTHS, NO NOTHING
    except a cheap chorus, delay and distortion effect pedal maybe.

Imagine:
    You are supposed to play nile nile amber on stage with some singer, and you practice it hard on Dm, and when youre on stage, the singer says
    Not Dm today, my voice is ****ed, lets do it C#m (1/2 ket lower)
    IF YOU WORKED THE SONG IN OPEN STRINGS -
    MAN YOU ARE SCRWD!!!!

The key to not getting caught in any embarassment on stage
    is to work songs without using open strings
    no open string chords, no open string leads NO

SHIFT into playing into a closed string position
    meaning you are not hitting ANY OPEN STRING anytime.
    AND TRY LEARN THE SONG with your EYES CLOSED (very important)

and NOW if the singer comes and asks you to shift a key down.
    just move your hand one fret down, dont look at the fretboard, and justy play with your eyes closed, imagining that you are in the same scale that you learnt the song.
    WORKS WELL, TRY IT

2. Bandbaaja

Also, if you've heard of a CAPO, that helps in open strings transposing.
    BUT
    ALWAYS if you want to shift the song to a HIGHER SCALE
    NOT for a LOWER SCALE.

SO for any transposing for lower scales, please forget OPEN STRINGS!!!

3. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

I prefer downtuning the guitar and using the capo. i've noticed that many songs become really easy when u play them with capo.
    Like... I remember getting frustated while playing 'spies' by Coldplay but it was much easier when I down tuned some of the strings and used a capo.
    If u want a reaally tough song even with a capo, for comping , then try 'She can't change me' by Sound Garden

4. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

nice post bandbajja ., hoe you are okay now , ...

5. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

one thing about guitar voicings is that the different chord positions of the same chord do not sound the sound to the trained ear. A composer or a player usually chooses the right voicing based on the requirement. The tonal qualities of a C open chord are different from the C barre chord in the A possiotn and those r different from the C barre chord in the E position.

To give u guys an example, A R Rahmans song from kannathil muththamittal, vellai pookal.. song is in E. if u play regular open E, it doesnt sound the same.

So u gotta capo the 4th fret and play E in C position.

here is my audio clip for that:
    https://vorlon.cwru.edu/~jayen/IGT/vellai intro.mp3

Another famous example is Hotel California.
    The signature riff for the song (which is in Bm) should be played in Em position, capoed at the 7th fret. Only then it will sound real.

If u see someone play hotel california in the Bm position, u can be assured of one of the 2 things.

1> he is a master of guitaring.. and has come up with his own cool way of playing it.
    2> he is a novice guitarist.. who doesnt know what he is doing .

:p:

6. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

Using capo to play what u cannot is a bad idea. As i mentioned in my last post, one should use a capo only if certain voicing are desired.
    If a Song is in C# and u dont wanna play barr chords and hence capo 1st fret.. thats like very silly if u ask me.
    Tuning down the guitar is also encouraged only if u r doing it for creative purposes.. and not to mask any inadequacies in your guitar playing.

(i retune guitars for the latter all the time.. because i suck as a guitar player)
    but officially i call my self a creative guitar player :p:

7. madhura

madhura pani poori yum yum ....

sorry for newbie question ..... but i am not there yet.....
    what exactly is capo? is that some sort of technique ?

8. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

Capo Capo Capo Capo

nahi re.. remember u asked me during the meet too.. so i am atatching the pics of a capo
    so capo is this thingie u attach on a guitar fret board to transpose it

Attached Files:

9. spencer

spencer New Member

Thanks your for all the "Transposing". Could any one give the full tablature for "Hotel Carlifornia(unplugged)"

10. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

am tired of tellin people over here abt the Em thing for hotel california...ve been playin it in Em since i started playing it...and bloody past one year nobody listnes to me...its a ****in waste of time...

11. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

good work both of u... bandbaaja & Jay :)

12. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

Thanx for the advice Jay.... But hey , I never said I was a pro...I just try to play the song so that it is suitable for me to sing with (my vocal abilities are infinitesimally small amount larger than zero!!). I'm learning guitar just for fun and I'm not very good at the theory of scales and all u know....I know a bit... but that's all. So i thought i should tell what i felt about it!

13. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

cool. whatevr works for u man. bottom lien u should have fun

14. Bandbaaja

Hello dudes, If you read my post clearly.
    It was nothing to do with CAPO and DOWNTUNING.
    It was more to do with PLAYING the song LIVE on stage - AMIDST other songs in the list.
    YOU CANNOT EXPECT THE BAND TO WAIT WHILE YOU FIDDLE WITH YOUR TUNING.
    And if you have a double lock floyd rose tremolo, youre finished!!!!

JAY is right about the voicing, and the capo.

15. Bandbaaja

any comments on this ??

16. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

u rock-------

17. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

y whats wrong with a double locking floyd rose....i know abt the wierd nut and all...but is it dificult to tune??

18. Bandbaaja

saurabh, the bridge gets adjusted to a particular tuning.
    For instance if you tuned to standard pitch, and in the middle of the show u want to detune, the bridge falls low, which makes the string directly rest on the fretboard, making the guitar unplayable.
    Also It is not difficult to tune first time, but to change strings u have to be carefull to do it one by one.

19. RAVISHINGBOY

RAVISHINGBOY J@CksoN BoY !

I guess not :p .. U cleard mE man ! ..

20. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

yes I think they missed the point.....Iknow the circle of fifths also called the "circle of fourths" i don't know how to draw on my PC! but this might help
    Transposing means changing a song's key the circle diagram helps a lot.....For instance if you find a song in Eflat or Dflat you can change it to a more guitar friendly key(C, G, D, E, etc.)by looking at the distance on the circle between the given key and your key. For example....original song say.....Eflat,key ,chords are ,say Aflat, Cmin, Bflat etc. your tune or voice is Cmaj when you look at the diagram Cmaj is 3 counter-clockwise steps away from Eflat on the circle. so to transpose from Eflat to Cmaj you move every chord in the tune 3 counter-clockwise steps.Aflat becomes Fmaj, Cmin becomes Amin,Bflat becomes Gmaj. etc.
    I know its hard to explain without the circles of fifths, but if you can get your hands on one its usefull I'll post more on circle of fifths progession hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.