ok i am thinking abt the option of linux

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by .:SpY_GaMe:., Jun 7, 2006.

1. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

finally after reading all the linux rocks n windozzz sucks (from zing ;) n others too ) i am planning to get linux on my pc

so here r my questions since i am a newbie concerning linux

1.what r the +points linux has over windozzzz??
    2.which version to install??? i have an amd 2800 1.6ghz0
    3.is it true that some softwares dont run on linux??
    4.procedures to follow plzzzz if possible
    5.i have 3 partitions on my pc i know how to format the c drive containing windozzz but what abt the two other drives ???how to format them?>???:eek::
    6.can i instal linux on drive c n windoz on drive d ????wont that cause any clash
    ?????
    7.any advice + suggestion/??

thnx in advance:rock:

2. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

I dont know the exact procedure. But it was easy for me. I had Win XP on C drive, D was empty. I booted with Redhat 9 CD, and after that it was easy like just cliking NEXT and entering values (like size of ur partition, date, time etc).

You will face difficulties while doing partitions/filesystems. I kept it simple, having only 2 partitions /root and /swap (Linux must have atleast these two, and others are optional. If you select this, the other directories like /bin, /var, /etc will get created under /root filesystem).

Some applications dont work on linux, but mostly all have linux versions.
    Example msn messenger doesnt work on linux, but you have GAIM as an alternative.

yeah you can have like that, but you leave Windows on C drive as it's already there. Install linux on D or in any other partition. They don't clash, the bootloader or boot.ini file will be modified mentioning which OS resides on which partition. Everytime the system starts, you will me prompted to choose Linux or windows.

And formatting D and E drives.. just boot your system with linux CD. You will get inside where it shows the existing partitions. Select D or E, ( the label will help u recognizing) and format it.

3. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

1.what r the +points linux has over windozzzz??

I use it because i love to customize it to suit my needs to the extent possible( as a beginner u may not think abt customizing)...and because i love the simplicity and stability of my system. No antivirus needed. If you're studying ..u can practice everything like c, c++, perl, python, php, shell, flex, bison, yacc etc etc without explicitly installing each one of them.

few of plus points:
    1. u dont have to care abt h/ware drivers if u get linux. buy any bluethooth/usb/tv tuners/ digi cams/sound cards ..and u'll find that most well established distros like suse /debian will support it without u having to do anything! <im not sure if nokia's pc suite is ported for linux...but i connect my nokia phone easily via bluetooth)

2. Hear the same mp3 on linux with the same speaker volume level as u do on windoze ...and ask urself which one u like

3. linux does not crash as freq as a windows box ... even if u shut down the power plug and swith ur (suse) linux machine back on ...the programs u were running will already start up for u on their own

2.which version to install??? i have an amd 2800 1.6ghz0

I'd say Suse 10 or suse 9.3 with packman updates.

3.is it true that some softwares dont run on linux??
    Its just that some people creaet software explicitly for windoze. Not all software runs on windows either.

exe files wont run on linux. If you play windows based games n cant live without typical exe utilities ...stay away from linux.

4.procedures to follow plzzzz if possible

search on google "steps to install suse 9.3" or watever

5.i have 3 partitions on my pc i know how to format the c drive containing windozzz but what abt the two other drives ???how to format them?>???

dont format them.. when u install linux ...assign those partitions for linux installation...Linux will format it accordingly. formatting c drive ?? do u totally want to get rid of windows?? good idea!! ..whateve be the drive where u wanna install ... no formatting is needed ...linux it format for u during the install process.

6.can i instal linux on drive c n windoz on drive d ????wont that cause any clash
    ?????
    the rule is: install the dumb os first (courtesy zing)...coz windows does not know how to avoid clashes and boot multiple oses. You got to keep ur windows as it is on C: and install linux on D:. Whereever u install ..just make sure u have windows alreay installed and linux is the next to be installed. that way you dont have clash and ..u can selct what os to boot from the linux loader..that will show up after the bios initilizations

7.any advice + suggestion/??
    install it now!! :)

notty_lad likes this.
  4. .:SpY_GaMe:.

5. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

formatting is essentially creating of a filesystem that eanbles you to read/write data from the storage (disk) . if u format d and e with linux ..it cannot be recognized with windows n if u format it using windows linux wonnt recognize it ..that way

6. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

go for Xandros delux if you want a windows suplimentery.

First of all it's free (There is a Delux version also, which is better...)( if you have any trouble getting it, PM me))...

It's the most stylish Linux I have ever seen

You do not need to delete windows and there is no need for partitioning. Xandros will cut the needed partition it self, so windows and linux and both run...

it's very windows like, so you do not need to be a pro to run it..

The windows partitions and CD drives are loaded by default, so you can do everything you used to do with windows..

It has built in support for EXE files (The application is named "Cross Over") However, If you choose the basic version the cross over will expire after one months..

You do not need to install sound and Video drivers and the sound quality is exellent!

So, go for it.

SUGGESTION:- Do not delete your windows, keep it and use your linux with it. This version is really suitable for windows users...

RoCk On!

7. .:SpY_GaMe:.

i already have 3 partitions ie c d e
    how to format d and e???

hey sugata so if after one month the crossover expires so ???? what will happen???

8. .:SpY_GaMe:.

@ sixstring

so if i install linux

ie i need to install that on two diff partitions???
    2. if i install say guitar pro on windoz will i be able to use it on linux too??
    3. will using only linux be a handicap ie r there many progs i wont be able to run??(like bitcomet, limewire, yahoo msger, etc etc etc??)

9. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

exe files woud not work :grin:

Get deluxe instead :)

10. .:SpY_GaMe:.

with ubuntu it works???

downloading ubuntu rite now

hey but u said sth abt the crossover expiring after 1 mth.....can u clear that ...

11. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Cross over is included with Xandros OS (Like MSN messenger included with Windows XP)
    It's a trial software. If you go for the delux, you will get the full version, if go for the basic, it's trial version...

Don't worry, go for the Delux version ;)

Oh! Forgot to say, it also has Open office included...SO, you don't need Microsoft office..

12. .:SpY_GaMe:.

i cant find where to get deluxe for free download......

13. @sugata..as u said...that xndros will automatically create partitions..but problem is my all partitions are packed with data..i mean not full but partially..so what he gonna do..will erase all the data?

14. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

so if i install linux

ie i need to install that on two diff partitions???

not necessarily ..its upto u ..can selct entire hard disk for linux (no windows) OR install linux on d: (with windows on c), or linux on e: or linux on d&e watever

2. if i install say guitar pro on windoz will i be able to use it on linux too??
    u wont be able to run guitar pro made for windows on linux. But linux has its own pro-like tools such as ardour and rosegarden. Audacity is available on linux. You also have something called as Hydrogen - a drumeffects machine ...and it also has loads of pattens on tabla...anyways that wasnt ur qn :)

3. will using only linux be a handicap ie r there many progs i wont be able to run??(like bitcomet, limewire, yahoo msger, etc etc etc??)

probably yes. I have no idea what these progs are (xcept yahoo msgr!) ..but they smell like windows specific software ...u wont be able to run them on linux. If u cant live without them, retain windows and install linux on a separate partition.

Ok one advice ...try out a linux first (dont install).
    1. Take a knoppix cd (one 1 cd)
    2. Boot from CD rom
    3. wait
    4. Have fun with linux ...play ur mp3s and vdos!
    5. When you want to run ur windows - goto the menu and shutdown
    6. reboot without the cd ..to boot on windows
    7. once u like linux and incase ... rip off windows from ur hard disk :)

** if you download crossover office ..u can use it freely for a month ..u got to buy it to use it forever ...but crosover office is able to run limited exe programs ...so its not worth,...even if its worth ..i dont think u or i ever purchased or will purchase a s/ware lolzz :)

15. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

@devil...
    You will need to freeup some spaces, don't worry, Xandros will automatically recognise it and cut it.

@Spy
    Search in torrent sites, don't worry, it's not an Illegal torrent. The tracker is Xandros.com itself. We cannot talk about downloading the delux version because it's illegal in IGT. Use the PM option instead......

16. .:SpY_GaMe:.

well my roomate is installing linux

we had probs with the monitor coz it was suggesting 17hz how its sorted

but that damn slow

its ubuntu 6.0 sth

wil get that on mine after my exams

17. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

^^He he :grin:

I told you earlier, which one 2 install :)

18. .:SpY_GaMe:.

downloading the one u suggested ;)

19. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

^^^OKies, BTW:- Check UR INBOX

20. .:SpY_GaMe:.