Oh, Mother!

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by eightytwo, Mar 30, 2008.

1. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

Now that I've decided I want to play the guitar again and now that I've decided that I'm going to buy a new guitar(although not during the coming month) I've realized something grave... HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO SNEEK IT PAST MY MUM! She's going to beat the shit out of me if she finds out..... WAUGH! HALP! HALP!

2. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Ha. I take it she's not as passionate about the instrument as you.

Well, how about when you buy it, just have one of your friends bring it along at your house.. and leave it there.. if she questions his empty hands when he is leaving, then just make up something about him having to be somewhere and not wanting to carry it around.

That's your initial step.. the next one is convincing her that picking up the instrument (again) is not a bad idea.. dont fight her. Explain it rationally.
    Ive always learnt that fighting back has never been the right way out of things.

goodluck.

3. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

I already did that with my Sony Headphones. It was smooth...

4. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Then a guitar wont be a problem..
    and if its not in the near future.. i think you have plenty of time to talk to her and figure out why she is as against it as you are for it.

5. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

Well, this WILL be my third guitar... The first one got smashed against an electric post while I was dangling in a crowded train. My second one broke too and the strings buzz and I hate it after the complete neck was replaced.

So, I'm sure you now see... my problem in full light!

6. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Are these bought with your hard - earned money?
    If they aren't I dont think you should even consider it until you can spend money out of your own pocket..and not your folks. That will show them how much you want it. And it will also make you aware that you gotta be a little extra careful with expensive and precious instruments..

question: dont you have a proper hard-travel case for your guitar? or even one thats padded? If you don't, you're crazy. Seriously. Howd you manage smashing it up?

7. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

Well, the first one was way back in college and the second one was in 2005.

I'm earning so money is not the problem.

Well, I used to go for classes and I had to take the train in the mornings... on my way back the trains used to be really crowded and would never get a chance to get in. So, I had to hang on to the train and dangle on one leg. One day, my guitar swayed away and SMASH!

8. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Hmm, well whatever the case.. Im sure you'll manage to get it past your mom.
    Just explain that it means alot to you..she might rant and rave..but in the end, she'll give in when she sees your determination.

9. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

Let's see... but I need to get past the coming month... it's going to be a long wait. *sigh*

10. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

you'll be fine.
    got any friend rockers..perhaps you can play a few tunes and get the rush for a while.

11. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

I know a few of them... but it's been long since I even met them...

12. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

well whatever the case may be.. im sure you'll be just fine. You've got a couple of weeks..gives you enough time to butter her up.
    or start with something absolutely crazy.. like wanting a lambhorghini..and then resort to a guitar. :cool:

13. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

well, she was lazing around and I walked up to her casually and told her that I'm going to buy a guitar very soon. She didn't say a thing. I'm surprised. Seriously surprised. I'm sure she's got something on her mind but not saying it out.

14. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I think you need to be a wee bit more assertive without being outright rude.

Ham it up. Use your imagination. Do something sweet and pop the question.

Any question actually.

15. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

I did the casually put across thing. It worked.

16. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

this reminds me of the song Mother by pink floyd.

17. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

heyyy... that's not very nice of you. :(

18. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

lol. well thats whats going to happen when you make a personal problem public.. ppl like to poke fun at others.. its safer to do it online without getting physically hurt :p ..

but YEAH! good. so it worked. :) now take it slow. and like bjr said.. be assertive but no aggressive. it always works. its the desi-parenting mentality.

19. eightytwo

eightytwo New Member

I'm just playing along... compared to others, I am pretty close to my mum...

20. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

i did not mean to offend u.
    apologies.