Odd harmonics vs Even harmonics

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by alpha1, Jan 27, 2006.

1. call_of_ktulu41

call_of_ktulu41 New Member

I am NOT an Electronics engineer.. and i only read the first thing in the thread ..but im guessing what you're implying is the more harmonics a "wave" shows the more melodious the sound is (albeit the mesa boogie impressed you!)
    this was one of the undertaking of sir CV Raman.. the drum is more "melodious" than the tabla.. you can do it with an oscilloscope .. it has more harmonics.. so a skilled tabla player will try to match up to a sitar player to have "harmony" ...

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Nope buddy, its not as simple as that.

My point was that some people paint even harmonics as angels and odd harmonics as devil.
    All I wanted to say was, that it is not so.

Anyway, To me tabla is more melodious. The reason being: it has the information in its sound wave taht correspond to notes, that is: when you strike on table skin, the waves generated are primarily even and odd harmonics of certain fundamental.

On the rock drum, the soundwaves generated have more of higher harmonics content. And hence, it sounds more noisy.

3. Double Click

Double Click New Member

NOOOOOO :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: WHy did u bump this thread!!!!! Now he'll start confusing us again

@alpha1 -- what use is a tabla... u cant even play metal wit it ;)

4. Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo The Boy Genius!

@alpha: Man seriously I aint seen many useful threads on this forum, but this one is an exception. A really, really handy thread. Rated it, repped u, and subscribed to it already! Dude you should post such stuff more often. That "why?" thingy is always bugging me in my head, and its real nice to provide fodder to it. Enjoyed reading through it, though didnt understand much. I am going thru all the links in this post. Hopefully I'll understand a lot by the night. U rock man. Peace.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Hey thanks.
    Though this thread was not intended to be exactly one where harmonics etc should be explained.
    I made this thread just to counter some popular views.

But I guess there is one more thread specifically on harmonics. lemme check.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

7. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

8. Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo The Boy Genius!

thanks a lot 4 the links alpha1! Dude seiously I have started to consider changing my subjects to musicology, though I dont think i'll get a job anywhere in PK with that degree, even it is from NCA.