numetal and metal

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by demonstealer666, Feb 4, 2006.

1. demonstealer666

demonstealer666 New Member

what do u guys think of nu metal?
    i think nu metal is not metal at all, its just rubbish crap of rap mixed with metal.
    because i heard korn

is slipknot nu-metal?
    which else bands play this crap?

2. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

I guess LImpbizkit and POD come in the same genre.but POD'S 'Youth of the nation' is really good.

3. lamb_of_satan

lamb_of_satan New Member

ok basically all of numetal sucks big time
    i guess they are just some emo kids on valium
    lol
    any way if u want to understand what nu-metal is basically listen any thing from KORN to LINKIN PARK
    they use the simplest of the song structures and follow it over and over again on the whole album (all the guitars are mostly powerchord with d tuned guitars)

i used to listen to nu-metal a lot but then i found what real metal was and from then i have really grown to detest that "pop/metal" shit

well anyway the only thing that nu-metal is good for is that many metalhead started listening to nu-metal first and then they discovered the real metal...

anyway SLIPKNOT is the only nu-metal band that kicks ass

4. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Yeah, i think nu metal serves as a stepping stone ( it didnt to me though). I think its just a mix between pop and metal. Pop in nature and metal with their delivery.
    And i have nothing agains 12-15 year olds listening to nu metal. Reason being: Theyre 12-15 year olds.

I myself can never listen to a nu metal song for more than 2 times. Yes. Its gets that old, that fast.

5. shsnawada

If destinys child and nelly collaborated and made a metal song, it'd be nu metal.

6. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

^^^^That would be weird^^^

7. shsnawada

Listen to "Bitchslap" by slipknot. Its like dying fetus mixed with some of those "artists"

8. guitar_guru666

guitar_guru666 New Member

like shsnwada sed nu-metal is fine if ure looking for wat it offers, musically poor easy to get metal, not something for sumone seriously into the metal scene, metal is ment to be so much more than a guy thrashing power chords on a drop tuned guitar with a vocalist screaming more than singing about how he raped his ex gf
    sorry turned into a rant

9. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

guitar_guru666...hmm, then what is it supposed to be??

10. guitar_guru666

guitar_guru666 New Member

Metal really IMHO IMHO shud be emotive and dark with a strong riff that relies on musicality not drop tuning to make it sound heavy with a dark melody and vocals to suit, screaming is okay but sumtimes it gets to the point where everything is just the vocalist throwing up. Also we all know half the enjoyment of metal is in the guitar solos with all out shredding and guitar harmonies, think maiden, all this stuff is lacking in nu metal. remember all this is IMHO

11. acidwabbit

acidwabbit New Member

Nu-metal is Nostradamus' prophecies coming true that the world is gonna end soon...It was God's way of punishing the wicked music lovers...repent everybody and be penetant by listening to some Maiden tonight and banging u'r head in sync with the air guitar

12. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

Whoa!
    :nw:
    This forum is so brimming with music experts.

*mutters: adolescent jerks!*

13. Xcubitor

Xcubitor New Member

Ever heard of "Styles of Beyond"??? They mix Rap with Metal, but I must confess, their songs (Example: Nine thou) doesn't sound rubbish, I recommend you to hear that song. And in my opinion, numetal bands like Cypress Hill sounds great. The band has just to rap the right way, then it will sound great.
    By the way, anybody of you knows the german band "Rammstein"?

14. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&*$@*^$

^^ well! I may sound ignorant but seriously I dont exactly knw how to differentiate btn metal and nu-metal ... As for my pref I listen to .. Megadeath to Metallica to LP and LB ..... but I really suck at genres bigtime.. So if som1 is willing to help can just explain this metal and nu-metal thingy in a little more details like the charchteristic of both the genres and example of a few bands which falls in that perticular genre ........ it will be really appreciated ..

15. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

@guitar_guru "screaming is okay but sumtimes it gets to the point where everything is just the vocalist throwing up" Hahaha, you need some Cryptopsy my friend.

16. khuram82

khuram82 ......:mad:........

@apurbajd.....well im not sure if its true but heard it once that nu-metal is jus another word for 'alternative-rock' (or may be its 'alternative' = 'alternate') ........ but none of us can differentiate among these genres or any other genres either its pop, rock, metal, punk, progressive, black or death metal..........it jus depends how u get the feel of the song ............. but for me only 2 things are important to differentiate music in to different genres ...

1. Drum styles
    2. Rhythme

In metal......i normally dont listen to many bands jus a few metallica, cradle of filth and black sabbath, opeth, slipknot.............. n i firmly say that cradle of filth are metal by far means because its not jus one song of their which sounds as metal......because of drum patterns ......anyways it has been the most debatable topic everywhere on the internet i've been .....but was tellin u what i think

Rhythme............i can easily figure out that its punk rock or not jus listenin to the rhythmes used.............greenday ofcourse i dont think anyone would disagree does punkrock mostly............in pakistani music for me noori does punk rock which i havent seen anyone yet realising but well thats my opinion........because what i've figured out in punk rock ur song is mostly dependent on rhythmes which sort of overshadow even the lead played (n by n large the solos arent that long or complicated in punk rock) .............

i dont know whether i've said anything conclusive but jus went on writing whatever came into my mind and they way i try to differentiate.........

but jus a little word i would say..........that there isnt any point in talking bout genres .......especially these family genres like rock and metal..........most of the bands hover between them......there are hardly few which are to the either extreme but who cares listen to what u like and mind u there's no genre related with the age group............ dunno y but i've noticed this that ppl tend feel proud if they listen to heavy metal or stuff and spat over the ppl who listen to either pop or other saying u r kids or something.............. dunno what reason do they have but anyways........... once again jus forget bout genres listen to what u like ;)

EDIT---

It jus came to my mind which made me laugh............ i was listening to Atif Aslam's interview regarding the issue with Jal break up and there he talked bout the genre of his album.............now what made me laugh that he doesnt even know how to pronounce the word 'Genre' and he pronounced it as its spelled but its not the way it is ..........jus to give an idea that atleast in pakistan :p: musicians atleast dont know music :p:

17. d_ist_urb_ed

^You know, "listen to what you like", you could have managed that in one line. Do you need 50 lines of nonsense to make one line of sense?

18. khuram82

khuram82 ......:mad:........

@d_ist_urb_ed ........ i know u're a smart arse ......... so better not try to prove it once again!! stay to topic and do not spam!!

19. d_ist_urb_ed

^lol, better a smart "arse" than a dumskull moron, fool. And read your post how much sense did it make, that is, if you were trying to make any. Metal is determined by drum patterns? Where in the world did you get that? And strictly rhythm is punk rock? Ever heard of Lamb of God? You're nothing than a pontificating dilettante. I need say no more. And oh by the way, learn to spell, it's r-h-y-t-h-m.

20. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&*$@*^$

dats wat I do ...... Actaully I never worried abt genres .. may be dats one reasons I suck at genres ;-) . bt seriously ... If u like a perticular song/music wats the damn point in testing it in a perticluar genre ....... I think there is great music across genres and if we confine ourselves to a perticular one Well! we are just depriving ourselves from some great music ..