Now playing...

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by esgallindeion, Aug 9, 2004.

1. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Share with everyone which song you are playing/learning on guitar at the moment. Don't use this thread as a posts booster, posting a new song (or a dozen new songs) a day. Use this to discuss about the songs you're playing, any difficulties you face or new techniques you learnt.

2. esgallindeion

Today I started a new song... Blind Guardian's Mirror Mirror. I tried playing this a few years ago but couldn't progress much ahead. Its not a difficult song to play as a guitarist but I guess making it sound tight in a band would be very difficult.

3. tejas

tejas ..........

Im trying to learn Holy wars.....the punishment due. Its not exactly easy. Im having a tough time with it. I've got a very good tab for it, so the tab part of it is covered. But people who can play that song please give me some tips so that i can learn it faster.

4. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

I'm learning Burning my soul - Dream Theater and Lines in the sand by the same band.. Also learning Raining Blood - Slayer and Symptom of the universe leads - Sepultura Version..

5. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

we'd be doing a small gig in our old college... i'll be singing so i was just gonna play rhythm (and over that i can't yet do anything decently)... but now i learn there's another guitarist coming in for rhythm so i'll probably just be singing, or maybe take up the bass guitar. never tried that, but i feel singing and playing bass is a lot more demanding than playing guitar.. aint it?

6. jayanth

Yhea.. Playing Bass is a completely different feeling.. Its like GUYS DRINKING GIN.. Anyways which songs are you guys playing...

7. prash_rocks

oh how i wish i could do that! but i surely will look into it when i get myself a bass. i know sting and paul mccartney play and sing.

the lead guest guitarist we have is already pretty accomplished, and plays rhythm in the band prestorika. so that means we can potentially do some good songs. their band is into megadeth, slayer, pantera, maiden and dt, tho dt is the only band i like among these and have absolutely no problems singing - i havent just tried and heard much of others but i can sing trooper decently on a good day.

the problem is we can't find any decent drummer. and that is presently the only limiting factor. that might mean we end up playing only some good old rock tunes. sweet child maybe one, still loving you by scorpions might be another, and altho we can do home by dt, again we havent a drummer so can't.

8. jayanth

Are you talking about this Personality by the name Naveen Thomas??

9. prash_rocks

nah... its a sardarji... gT (gurtej) by name.

10. jayanth

ok.. which songs are you guys covering??

11. prash_rocks

not yet decided... we'll sit together and see wht works.

12. jayanth

If you need help ask me..

13. prash_rocks

ok i ask u.. keep in mind that i'm not targetting a very hard-rock-loving audience... its after all just a college in the university of delhi, not iit, and mine in particular is way different from the usual delhi univ college too.. in a lonely far off place, not in the campus.

14. jayanth

PLay Bryan Adams and probably a little Bon JOvi.. And Queen..

15. esgallindeion

i would say Bon Jovi is very appealing to the new delhi not-so-into-rock crowd... Bryan Adams is passé. Some simple eagles wouldn't be a bad choice either. Its easy to play hotel california and sing at the same time plus you dont need a good drummer for it... someone on a congo would suffice. R.E.M. or Dire Straits would also be nice choices. One advice, don't set your sights too high (like GnR - Sweet Child)... songs like that need to be real tight to sound good and you will need lots of practice and you still have to complete your band. I have been where you are now, only i was playing for my school. Its My Life (bon jovi) is very easy to perfect in a short time. Hotel california takes no time at all, if you have someone who can play the whole lead. GnR - Knocking on heaven's door is also ok.

16. prash_rocks

it's my life... yeah pretty pop song, we've tried it and were thinking abt it but yet i guess we're already dead bored by it. i was just thinking of 'we're gonna win' by bryan adams (heard of it? the soccer song with the ultra-fast tempo.. dunno if we can pull off w/o drums tho, but it sounds damn cool). hotel cali... yeah that guy can play the whole lead and we were thinking of that too.

i thought up a few more songs... two steps behind (def lepp), dream on (aerosmith), still loving you (scorps - we've worked it up pretty nicely on two guitars - sounds really sweet - playing chord harmonies in chorus and that fills up the sound quite a lot).

the event is just a week away now... lets see...

17. prash_rocks

and of course i forgot to mention - thx for the suggestions, jay and essi.

18. esgallindeion

Hmmm... just a week... then you have to practice really hard these last few days. Two Steps Behind is a good choice but I wouldnt recommend ANY Bryan Adams song... it may sound like a vey sweeping comment but the feeling I got during the music competitions I participated or just went to see, was that just the name Bryan Adams draws a first negative impression on the people. A good performance often negates this impression but even an average performance could be fatal.

As you are not taking part in any competition, I guess this should not be much of a problem. Just make sure that the songs you finally do decide to do sound real tight. And it should sound good when played in a sequence. Anyway, best of luck for the performance. Rock on.

19. prash_rocks

merci.

i'd kinda agree with ur take on ba... that guy is way too popular and commonplace in india. the song i was thinking tho isn't one most ppl have heard - i myself heard it only recently... yet i'll look into what u say.

20. jayanth

For me Nothing but DT would work.. a little Megadeth also..