Not taking a placement at IIM-A to form own rock-band

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by lord_neo, Mar 9, 2006.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

He strums his guitar while his classmates lap up big ticket salaries. The buzz on the new campus IIM-Ahmedabad, as students in pin stripes and suits go in and out of interview rooms, does not reflect on his face.

And, on the second day of the placement process on Thursday, he not even on the campus, pursuing dream in Mumbai — recording for first album with his rock band!

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1444683.cms

2. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

teheeheehee...

Obviously making money takes the first place even in the music INDUSTRY.

3. gnr311982

gnr311982 New Member

hey i know this guy. he was in thadomal shahani engg college ( mumbai) for his BE in Information technology. nice guy.
    Also represented the college in cricket.

4. rjain172

rjain172 Banned

(Quote=lord_neo) And, on the second day of the placement process on Thursday, he not even on the campus, pursuing dream in Mumbai — recording for first album with his rock band!

Gajab, and now music will manage rest of ur life instead of a bore B-school.

5. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

**ahem**

he might be my future employer.....no kidding

6. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

BTW the guy who is starting the rock band is on IGT too...posts under the name Vedder. Some of you must have seen his very comprehensive post on the Gear Talk forum about building your own recording studio.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Not visible now.
    Must be preparing for job interviews now methinks.

8. vini

vini Repeat Offender

The money he'd earn by joining some firm would be atleast 5 times more than he can or would earn from Music..thats a hard fact! nevertheless he would get 10 times more contentment (from music)than doing some 9to9 deskjob.

9. sachoo

sachoo drenched in my pain again

Tht guy knows job is not a headache for him, companies wud come to his place once he throws his resume, so y not to give a shot earning fame.

Vini, one can earn 15 times more frm music than tht firm, the only compulsion is u shud be a hot shot hit. However things r tuff in india as they look simple.

Tho today i wud always prefer a 9to6 (not 9to9 :)) deskjob and play my music in peace but who knows bettre tomorrow.

Motivation guys :beer:

sachoo

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah I wish we could measure contentment.
    And trade/barter it for some money at an exchange rate.

So that when the fellow needs to buy some gear (how ironic isnt it?) for music, he can sell some of his contentment, for money with which he can buy n00 gear.
    Which will lead to higher contentment.

G00d concept.

11. vini

vini Repeat Offender

The Scope is very bleak specially if ur into rock or metal! If u wanna go off something like Euphoria then i cant say :p: At the max you'd reach to as much fame as Parikrama did. Or u can become an Indian Idol then eventually go to bollywood!!..lolz

U need to think very very practically..do u think if he tries his hand at music for even 3 years and comes back to square one..No1 would offer him that much pay package as he's being offered now...
    but then pay is not everything!...hmm

12. vini

vini Repeat Offender

take it or leave it..

alpha dearest...there is something called expression of personal opinion..im not forcing u to accept it..if u can well n good else its ok!..

lets stay on-topic, shall we

13. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

@Vini..........dudette......u got pwned...:shock:

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^^^ off topic?? :think:

15. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

Im sure an IIM-A grad is intelligent enough to think about his long term prospects for the career he is opting for after ditching the campus placements

16. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

I believe the guy was on topic, wasnt he?

17. vedder

vedder New Member

Hmm...

Heyy Guys,

Let me just take a minute to introduce myself - I'm Gaurav and I'm the guy whoz featured in the article as abhijitnath (my senior from IIMA) has already pointed out..:)

After reading some of the views here I thought I'd just tell you guys my perspective on my choice of career. Firstly, I'm not starting a band as has been quoted by the newspapers. I'm working on an album for which I've written and composed all the songs and I'm also the vocalist. Also most of the songs on the album are in Hindi. So its not like I'm making my own rock/metal band etc. So basically I'll be going solo but would have a band to play live with me - like say, Rabbi, Bryan Adams etc

The important thing is that I want to position myself as a singer who also composes and writes his own songs. I've composed a few english songs as well, but I would be promoting the Hindi ones first since I'll get a bigger audience that way and I feel it is important for a new artist to get some acceptance first. It then becomes easier for you to get them to listen to some of your other stuff cuz you have an audience base!

Also since I'm an MBA, it is easy to manage myself as a manager as well, from handling the communication, making marketing plans for myself, promoting my music etc...and I'm really enjoying the process!..:D
    People also take you seriously when you say that you're from IIMA!

Its my opinion that if you do not have any financial or family constraints, then you should do what you really think will give you maximum happiness and satisfaction. I feel that my music and lyrics are really good and there will be lots of people who will like my stuff...:) Money and work will come if you're good and thats what I believe I am!..:)

Also I see myself working on the managerial side in the field of music and entertainment in the long run and helping new and talented artists to realize their dreams, and hopefully not undergo too much of struggle which I'm prepared to undergo!

So I hope that kinda puts some light on the whole thing. On the lighter side, my girlfriend just made it to an investment bank and shes gonna be raking in money bigtime!...so that takes care of the finances for my video and more equipment!!...:beer:

Cheers!...And have a great day!
    - Gaurav

18. vini

vini Repeat Offender

@wiz
    yea..im sure an iim-a guy would be wise enough!
    long term prospects? being intelligent cant give u a foresight!
    hmm..palash sen was MAMC passout!..look where he is! Basically its all dependent on the country... :think:
    Anyways 3 cheers for everyone who believes in himself that he can carve out his own niche!

*quits*

19. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

the man himself has spoken
    I guess tht answers all the questions

all the best dude :beer:

20. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

ahem...read the post above urs...and stop comparing people with Palash Sen...he is no god when it comes to composing music.
    and it is important how you reach the audience in your demographic rather than the country.

a very wise decision indeed