Next Generation of The Copy Proof CD?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by HellRazor, Sep 13, 2003.

1. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

"Since 1999, CD unit sales have plunged 26 percent -- a decline of $2 billion -- thanks in part to file-sharing services and other forms of digital piracy. The record labels' frustration is so acute that the Recording Industry Association of America has begun suing hundreds of consumers who have exchanged music on peer-to-peer networks like Kazaa, Morpheus, and Gnutella.

But what technology giveth, can it taketh away?

The industry hopes so: This month the first copy-protected CDs are expected to start showing up on music-store shelves in the United States. And that's great news for the one or more lucky companies whose music-locking tech will be adopted. Even by modest estimates, licensing fees will amount to more than $100 million annually.

The big winner could be Macrovision, a major provider of copy protection to Hollywood. With revenues of $102 million in 2002, the company, based in Santa Clara, California, commands a near monopoly on video and DVD copy protection, providing the system used in more than 2.1 billion DVDs and 85 million DVD players.

Macrovision's technology, called CDS-300, hides the original audio tracks but makes pre-compressed music files available for limited downloads to PCs. The company's main competitor is Phoenix-based SunnComm, a 25-person upstart that already has a contract to supply copy-protection technology to BMG, the fifth-largest record label. SunnComm's MediaMax CD-3 also restricts the original audio files, but does so on the user's PC, rather than the disc, by installing a kind of software lock."

2. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

:shock:

What are these people trying to do? Protect artists or simply make us turn away from music totally. I will not buy any CD that wont let me copy it to my Hard Drive. Unless its an album that I really want. No more experimenting. :ban:

3. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

DVD's are supposed to be Copy proof. I have copied more than 25 DVD's till today. For 125Rs A blank DVD is Available. I have copied more than 25 DVD's T oHarddisk and Then To DVD (At Dads Office) So a copy proof Cd should be Childs play.

:p

4. esgallindeion

Heheh, don't be so sure. The last Blind Guardian CD (Live) was made copy proof (without the band's knowledge) and people were not able to copy it. And I'm talking about people who really know the ropes. :cool:

5. Redalert

Redalert New Member

All the copy writed cds have been cracked....those which werent cracked were called back from the stores cause some cd roms drives and many steros system could not play them. :beer:

6. jayanth

So you are telling me that i got the The Stone temple Pilots MP3 from the sky.. :p . The Original copy has a big Hologram saying COPY PROTECTED. He He. I copied it . St. Anger for example .Some one was finding it very very difficult to find MP3 see i have it on mp3

7. Redalert

Redalert New Member

I had st anger a week b4 its release...whats ur point....:p

8. jayanth

St. Anger was supposedly protected from copying .he He
    Ok Novalogic Relesased a Game called Lightning 3 F 22. It was said t obe copyprotected . I have both the original as well as a pirated copy. He He

9. Redalert

Redalert New Member

I had hulk when they were putting the cgi effects in it, right from the studio 30 days b4 ist release. Lotta scenes were miissing but...hey...me not complaining. The guy who leaked it got caught.....:rule:

10. jayanth

My Post was in reply to the Co-Mods Post not Your Redalert.

11. Redalert

Redalert New Member

ahhhh...dammit...i was having fun.....:beer:

12. jayanth

Playing Here Too but a little serious about some of these scary press releases. especially by Microsoft. I got their Software Cd and copied it to Cdr 's Ha ha . I even Changed the serial numbers. Imagine ..... Thats Security. :beer:

:rockon:

13. Redalert

Redalert New Member

There isnt one microsoft software that didnt give some problem or another.....:mad: I rather stick to linux....:)

14. jayanth

Cool Another Linux Dude (Like Me) :beer:

15. Redalert

Redalert New Member

:argue: :) :)

16. esgallindeion

?? You liked St Anger?? :confused:

I found it to be the most disgusting piece of music that Metallica has ever come with.

17. esgallindeion

Hey, I was just quoting one example. :think:

St Anger? What the... :ban:

:beer:

18. esgallindeion

Weird... you missed an opportunity to see the film in its true beauty just to see it early?

:p