Newbie needs guidance

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by masterofpuppets, Jul 11, 2005.

1. masterofpuppets

masterofpuppets New Member

Hello

I am just a newbie. I really want to learn guitar but due to my job i can not have a teacher to teach me but i know that i can put around 1-2 hours daily on it.

I just wanted kind guidance of all the members here. I had some lessons from a teacher but had to stop taking them due to irregular schedules I am yet to purchase a guitar, please let me know which guitar to purchase, i am thinking to buy an electric guitar. Also if I could get some book or manual (please let me know the name) that i can read and teach myself because i personally feel that anything can be learnt if one has will to do so. :rock:

Please help. :help:

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah ... thats the attitude ...

man u can buy a cheap acoustic guitar ... just to get a hang of it initially (or borrow it from somewhere) ...
    coz if u buy an expensive electric (or acoustic) ... and later u decide that u dont have time etc ... then it will be an investment gone bad ...

learning material u'll find tons of it in this site ...

3. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

@master...you are very true that anything can be learnt if one has will to do so. Everyone out here know it but there are really very few people who actually make it happens.

I agree with @ssslayer that you just buy some cheap acoustic guitar. Look for some second hand. Use that for a year. After that you will truely come to know whether you can proceed and if yes then with acoustic or electric.

So if you are quite determined then ....Welcome to IGT....

4. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I agree with ppl here..I have seen countless ppl give it up after a few months(though I'm sure you wont bcome one of them:))..buy an acoustic....MAKE sure you take some expert with you when you do so..acoustics can vary a great deal..always try out many and then buy the one you like..make sure its free of buzz and stuff..if your guitar has these irritating problems you might lose a bit of interest...
    So I would say buy a givson 3/4th size acoustic at under 2K...I personally feel they are much better than givson jumbos..you can get some sweet-sounding boxes among these if you search..

5. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

stick with it.. best of luck... let us know if u need any help....

go o the eginners q & a section -ull find a lot of ur questions answered already.... there are loads of pages other than igt that also have lots and lots of help for beginners...

else just pick up some ook from furtados... these have complete workouts and all... im sure ull love the guitar.. again welcometo igt

6. masterofpuppets

Thanks

Hello Friends

Thanks for the encouragement and the great knowledge that you all are sharing with me.... It just keeps my spirits up

I have purchased a Givson guitar from the Daryaganj Market, in Delhi :beer: . It just cost me Rs. 1700. I have started playing some of the chords.... I had undergone some training at my native place but it was the Sa-Re-Ga-Ma... stuff, but that training gave me some confidence though. I respect Sa-Re.....but I think its not the way one should learn a guitar. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am thinking to purchase some book. My friend "DeathDr" has suggested to pickup a book from Furtados, but I really don't know where Furtados is :think: . Is it somewhere in Delhi.... :help:

Please let me know.

Thanks and Regards
    MOP

7. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

nope FURTADOS's r in MUMBAI !

8. masterofpuppets

Hello Friends

Well just posted in to ask if there is any place in Delhi where I can find a book related to it...

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Go to the music section of any major bookstore ( we have crossword and landmark here...dunno about delhi) and look for "The Guitar Handbook". It is expensive though. Otherwise just go to the place you got your guitar from...they probably keep books too.

10. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

yup go 2 BHARGAVA's , BHARAT or BHATIA's i'm sure dat they'll hav sum useful books !

11. themanwhorocks

themanwhorocks New Member

i dont think learning by the net or other means can REALLY replace what a guitar teacher would have taught u

better u look for a teacher if u really want to learn to play good guitar as am sure u want to get music from ur guitar not NOISE

12. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

@themanwhorocks
    true

@masterofpuppets
    u cud also DLOAD sum stetina books , best 1 i heard !

13. anishjain

anishjain New Member

guys .do softwares like guitar pro help ..what r they and where will i get them ...i am at the same juncture and i do wanto continue no mattre how busy the routine is ..

14. masterofpuppets

Hi Friends:

I am here to bug u all again... I am going on fine and am learning to play the chords... I play the Sa Re Ga Ma.... and its combinations well... :aggre:

But a real issue has cropped up.... :help: how much I try I am not able to tune my guitar. It happened that I might have tightened the screws much and the first string broke. However, I had brought the new strings and replaced that, and I just loosened all the strings :nw: and after that the drama started. I have tried so much of tuning that I could not play guitar for a full day. :annoyed:

I have tried tuning by reading the articles here but no luck... Can anybody suggest some way so that I can get out of this mess though its also a part of learning... :nw:

Thanks n Regards
    MOP

15. shak

shak Harrr!

got a mic? good enuff ...
    now go to www.download.com and search for a software called APTuner ...
    download that and install it on your machine ..
    run the software .. plug the mic .. and sit infront of the mic and play one string at a time ... there will be a bar at the right of the software window where six alphabets will be written .. EBGDAE ... one on top of the other .. there will be an E at the top ... and an E at the bottom ..the E at the top is your thinnest string .. and the E at the bottom is your fatest string .. now play a note on your thinnest string .. the line on the right bar will move up ... tighten the strings till it touches the E on the top .. once it concides with the line of the top E .. look at the needle on the main window ... make sure its pointing in the middle ... (you might need to pluck the string several times ... cuz after some time .. 1 or 3 seconds the sound will die away . so keep plucking until it reaches E)
    now your thinnest string is tuned ... do the same for the next string .. bring it upto B .. then the next one to G the next D the next A and finally the fatest one to the bottom E .. each time making sure the needle is in the middle ..
    your guitar is tuned

16. winman

winman New Member

This thread has been extremely helpful!!! Thanks all!!!

17. Gaurav Bhatia

Gaurav Bhatia New Member

hi shahrukh
    i searcged on download.com but could not find APTuner anywhere......
    could u pls tell me the link

thanx

gaurav

18. masterofpuppets

19. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&*$@*^$

Thanks 4 the link buddy .................

20. shak

shak Harrr!

try the link or search word "ap tuner" on download.com (there is a space between ap and tuner) ...