new VG Strat

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by nilu_nirvana, Apr 6, 2007.

1. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

hey guys, have you heard about the new vg strat?
    an american std. strat with roland/boss electronics....sounds very versatile..
    check it out at fender site...must be costing a bomb though

2. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I saw it a while back too. Its too good...just makes you want it so badly. Probably would be close to 2000$

3. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

i dont like the idea of "emulating" guitars...im sure with that price tag and fender's name tag they'll do a good job but still i'd rather have the good ol' single coil stratocaster.

4. sridhar11_2

It is a single coil stratocaster....

5. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

You missed my point.

From the site

Therefore a VG stratocaster uses Roland technology to EMULATE different strat sounds etc etc. this is what i meant. i can see that its single coil.

id rather spend a little less than that amount and go for a deluxe american strat or something.

6. sridhar11_2

Sure you're entitled to your opinion. Even i'd be very happy with a deluxe players strat...but i see it as a fender strat with the extra option tunings and tones.
    What i'd look for in a strat is playability so if its an american strat with extra features i'll take. Its still got 3 single coils which i'm assuming will work as normal if you want it to... But i can see how you could get turned off by this

7. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

the vg strat can be used as a normal strat if you turn the elctronics off..its a hard core american strat that way...but if you feel adventurous , then you can pull off quite a few stunts...best part is that,you dont need any supporting compatible equipment. your normal amp will do..
    the videos look very impressive

8. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

The product is a badly implemented rip-off of the 4 year old Line 6 Variax concept, with less functionality and a much greater price point. No external power source (kill yourself with batteries), only Strat, Tele, generic "humbucker", acoustic and 12 string implementation, annoying GK-3 bump under your palm, no software capabilities to build your own guitar or have custom tunings, etc. etc. Avoid.

9. loyal

loyal New Member

Gibson had introduced a similar guitar HD.6X-Pro Digital at $4000 and $8000 ( les paul signature version ) price tag with a unique RJ-45 kind of a jack and a special cable that connects to a break out box :aggre: unlike Fender's VG strat !! whic hooks straight to the AMP. Looks like the digital wave has hit the guitar industry as well.

:rockon:

10. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

^^i hate the digital wave...people are looking for so much "flexibility" that they're forgetting the basic beauty in a natural sounding guitar.

11. abhijitnath

Have you played a Variax?
    And what is so "natural" about an electric instrument anyway?

12. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

yes unfortunately i had the honour of playing a variax. one of the most overpriced piece of crap ever created. And not even worth mentioning in the same breath as my mexican strat.

If you look into it, the naturality lies in the direct picking up of vibrations which are picked by hand(an instrument of nature) and picked up by a simple coil(s) and the sound is carried by co-axial cables.
    Atleast the sound retains it original quality and doesnt go through DIGITAL manipulations to sound like something else...hence having no character of its own.

But then again, there will be a lot of "modern" people looking for "flexibility" who will disagree with me.

bleH!

13. abhijitnath

a) Do you only buy albums which have used only analog recording onto tape at all stages and for all instruments?
    b) Do you only buy LPs and tapes and refuse to listen to any CDs or MP3s?

14. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

I listen to...Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Buddy Guy, Pink Floyd, RHCP, Robert Cray, Robert Johnson and the likes.

They all use(d) analog tape recording.

I buy cds mp3s simply because they are cheaper and more feasible and last longer than tapes.

Anyway thats besides the point. But since u want to digress...the Varicrap is also much more expensive than the mexican strats so my buying cds instead of tapes make more sense. If they were selling the Varicrap for 50 bucks i might buy it as a beginner guitar.

15. abhijitnath

I'm not digressing at all. I'm only commenting on your basic premise that digital=artificial and analog=natural. Therefore if at any point of time the signal passes through anything digital it should immediately start sounding like crap. If you really think the complete signal chain is analog for a Floyd CD for ANY instrument, you're really living in a fool's paradise.

16. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

another form of Digital vs Analog fights...cool

17. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

Thats definitely not my basic premise.

My basic grudge lies against "emulators".

After having played the POD XT Live/ POD 2.0/ talking to a friend who has a VOX Tonelab SE and now uses analog stomp box setups...and using a KORG AX1500G myself for a little more than a year and then switching to analog setups. These are the best Multi-FX pedals out there. Also add trying out a Variax and owning a Mexican Strat.

I have come to the conclusion(simply by auditory response) that "EMULATORS" CANNOT i repeat CANNOT sound like the real thing. The whole concept of emulation is, i feel, a big hindrance to the music industry, tonewise atleast. In the name of "flexibility" and "variation" companies are churning out millions of average products which the public is lapping up like anything due to ignorance. Im not necessarily hitting out on digital effects. Lot of digital effect pedals are good, like digital delays, reverbs etc. Heck if they started making ANALOG computers i wouldnt be typing this message right now, would i

18. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

i agree lol "tries the crybaby simulation on the G7 and lols"

19. abhijitnath

Fair enough.
    Without getting into the "can't emulate the real thing" debate-there are enough blind A/B tests available where people-and this includes pro musicians, studio engineers and the like-can't tell the difference between PODs and real amps, or Variaxes and real guitars. Your ears may differ-maybe the "feel" is missing for you or whatever in emulation. I'll buy that.
    But what you miss is just how much this is bringing previously unaffordable gear to the hands of people. I play a lot of jazz and desperately wanted a hollowbody-oriented instrument,like an ES 335 of L5. The Variax gives me both, with reasonably good results in terms of tone (I'm more than happy with 95%, honestly) , no hum from the pickups and no chance of uncontrollable feedback from the body, for 18 thousand bucks..what more could I ask for?? And honestly, from a purely tone-based perspective, I've A/Bed it against a real E-335 and actually preferred the sound-more of the fundamental sound seemed to get through, the notes bloomed and seemed to be more focused overall.