New to electric guitar, need tips to improve playing

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by Guitarnewb101, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Guitarnewb101

Guitarnewb101 New Member

Hello,

I recently bought a new electric guitar along with a Korg processor and a 10W amplifier.
    Well, with my acoustic guitar, I was used to playing rythm and small lead parts of various songs.

The sole purpose I bought an electric is to learn soloing and decent shredding. But now I seem clueless on what to do next, coz I started out with the solo to Hotel California, got frustrated halfway, and am now thinking that I lack in some basic skills.

What would u all gurus recommend me to do before I feel comfortable playing these solo parts. I have no problem with the riffs of major songs. But its the solo and some interlude that kills me.

My favourite artists/bands are -

The eagles
    Poets of the Fall
    The Fray
    Foo Fighters
    Led Zeppelin
    Slipknot
    AC/DC
    Metallica
    Black Sabbath
    Judas Priest
    U2
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    KISS
    Linkin Park
    Eric Clapton
    Bon Jovi
    Coldplay
    Creed
    Pink Floyd
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Guns N Roses

I have also heard some stuff by Steve vai, Joe Satch and Jimi Hendrix, but I think that they'll be pretty tough to learn.

Any suggestions on where should I begin? How to progress? Any help will be appreciated!

thx

2. moniquebliss

moniquebliss New Member

Hey Guitarnewb, why not search for online sources on how to improve your skills in playing it. Anyway, if you may not seem find the right one for you try buy sheet music online I'm sure you will learn a lot.

3. Iwalkalone1

Iwalkalone1 New Member

dude i think you should start with something cool n easy...hotel California requires lots of bends with great finger coordination. I recommend you start learning songs by bands such as red hot chilli peppers..they have pretty decent good sounding solos. Develop your technique...check lessons by paul gilbert on alternate picking and watch some buckethead (great shredder) vids, you will love this guy...he's got 32 instrumentals in a year O*O. Anyways coming to the point...practice practice practice...before you get your hands down to learn tough solos, do some finger exercise, steve vai's got 10 hour practice pdf for free on the internet. Always focus on what you are doing..don't rush have patience. Good luck! :) emotions can come later once you master your technique.!