New strings for my acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by fictional_real, Jul 11, 2005.

1. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

hi ppl, wassup?

i Had brought new strings for my acoustic guitar (granada strings) and when i attachd it. the sound was awful ....and not very melodic as my old strings...so i had to again buy new strings for my guitar (karuna brand metal strings). when i came home i was too happy to find out that the old strings which i had was too of karuna brand and i thought dat when i'll attach it to my guitar it will sound exactly or better than my old karuna metal strings ...but it didnt!! it was different...awful infact ...same as granada strings...

theres nothing wrong with the strings....i think

can you guys let me know why is this happening.....is it ok? does the new strings sound like dat before and later on after use....become good to hear?

plz comment!

2. anirban.d.das

anirban.d.das New Member

i suppose u tuned ur guitar right?
    just kiddin act the same thing happened to me
    gets better after couple of hours of playin

3. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Strings take time to settle. Just do what i do - Play every song you know on the guitar keep the guitar down pick it up the next day and see the difference. It always sounds bad at first but you have to deal with it.

Hope this helped

4. shadowcaster

shadowcaster Darkness Everywhere

I too agree with Sirdhar. Paly on it a couple of times and see the difference. It generally works.

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Karuna sucks. Put a new set of Phospher Bronze strings like GB&a or if you have cash then go for D'Addarios or Ernie Ball. They will sound good even when they are new. Most Artists change strings for almost every gig. They cannot afford to get a guitar strings to settle to actually play the gig. Another things is while changing the strings, you truss rod might have got slightly misaligned. This is not very likely but surely is a possiblity.

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I liked the GB&a phosphor bronze strings(Rs100/- in Chennai)...and I never got wierd sound when I upgraded from my old Givson strings..it did go out of tune for a day or two, but then I hadnt stretched them while putting on,so that was to be expected....but sound ws much better than the givsons..

7. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

That wouldnt affect the tone unless 'string buzz' occurs.

I would reccomend to get a good set of strings of Ernie Balls or Dean Markleys to see if its the guitar (altho i doubt it).

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I know. He says it's not like his old strings. So I was giving what all could have gone wrong.

9. vipin_slash

vipin_slash New Member

I agree with Ronnie I replaced my GB&A with new D'Addarios strings they r bit costly 426 Rs. But sound is awsome.The Zingy sound of New strings can take some time to settle so be patient.
    Anathor Advice for Novice fellows like me.Do Not Remove All the Strings whilechanging them.Always Keep 6th and 1st Strings tied as it is while remove strings2,3,4 and 5.Once u replaced 2,3,4and 5 then Untie the 1st and 6th Strings to replace with New ones.It Prevents the Truss Rod from bending (by removing the
    string tension Suddenly)

Cheers!!

10. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

i asked for GB&a strings but he didnt had one.....so, i had to settle down it karuna. anyways, thanx guys....dat was BIG help!!!

11. kumarsahab

kumarsahab New Member

I need some help on playing methods of nylon strings, finger picking and tips on using nylon strings. Someone do please comment on this.

12. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

ha the most common reason y such things occur in acoustic guitars is coz ppl dont put enuff tension on the strings ...

strings of acoustic guitar are meant to have very high tension ... only then it sounds good ...
    u keep 'em loose like electric guitar and they'll start sounding like a worn out sitar string ...

and most prob this is the reason coz fictional mentions that the bad sound is coming from the original strings also (in addition to the new strings) ... altho earlier they were sounding OK ...

13. PheOn!X

PheOn!X New Member

Hey Buddy If u want strings So Buy Olympia Or Ernie Ball Strings man those r the beauty they r quite expensive but very much nice man

14. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Fenders and D'Addarios' have always been a guarantee..but last time i tried something new called Newtone strings...They Rock! Really Awesome..bit expensive and i dont know if you get them in India but they really are a try.

15. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ Petunia : For acoustic guitars, Try ELIXER.. They are by far the best i've used..

16. Bleeding Guitar

Bleeding Guitar New Member

true but D'Addarios are THE BEST long lasting and awsome no compair to that other wise you can search the web u'll know what am talking abt :)

17. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

No I would go with Elixir. They are great stuff man! Mekaal Hassan uses them, and so do I. And they are well worth their price. The ones on my guitar are well older than 6 months, and still havent lost a bit of their sound. Look for them in the local market or hunt em down on the internet.

18. ershrish

ershrish New Member

try gb&a strings ..or u can switch to alice too ..they are not that bad .. givson sucks ..

19. moumitsjinx

moumitsjinx New Member

guitar strings d addario furtados mumbai near metro cinema

hello.friends.

My name is MOUMIT DUTTA (moumitsjinx@gmail.com). I am a mechanical engineer and a computer engineer too. i have a Hobmer guitar worth rupees 3500. i bought it from laxmitone charni road.when i purchased the guitar ,the strings that was already mounted was very good.every body used to say that what guitar you have.then after a year the strings got corroded as it was loaded and due to atmospheric corrosion ,sweat etc.then i went too charni road to the other shop named musical shop and the man said take a karuna string rs70 and he said these string are nice.the first time i played it was nice but as nice as the original was.played till 5 mnths but the sound never came as it was coming when the guitar was new.then i read in internet that GB&a and d'addario is good. so i went to furtados near metro cinema and i purchased d addario worth rs 242 (year 2008,march).and belive me the sound was as before.I want you people too note few things

1:->the more money you put the good strings you will get
    2:->the first 4 days the guitar sound will be little zingy .you must play the guitar atleast for 9 hours after mounting and keep it as it is for a day and then play it again.
    3:->there are lot of quality in d adarios. i took rs 242 wala,but there wre 391rs also ,600rs also.
    4:->the tuning of the guitar remains for long time with d addario unlike karuna 70rs string wherein every day u need to tune.
    5:->the sound depends only on sound box of guitar and the quality of the vibration ur string gives(good vibration is only given by imported string like d addario)
    6:->after a month unload the string and do unload it once in every month to keep good health of ur string.keep it unload for atleast 7 hrs.so that internal setting of the metal can be complete
    7:->do not regularly load and unload the string as it can cause a fatigue stress in metal and there will be a fatigue failure.
    8:->imported strings are made with proper study for their strength ,sound.these strings are made with proper blend of metals to form the alloy(i mean the percentage of different metals),and the heat treatment is also done to it and then they are selling that to us taking such a high price but to give the best quality which the indian strings fail to do.
    9:->i have seen hobmer guitar is best as they give the soul to the songs.hobmer has soul.
    givson is bad. i dont like the sound.
    granada is good.
    pluto is very good but it has lot of romance in the sound but not the soul.

20. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee New Member

Pluto is exceptionally good, considering the price range... solid top and rosewood fingerboard.. i have a Black Dreadnought , and the sound is soulful,
    "i wonder how u differentiate b/w soulful and romantic.." :)