New setup

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Shanindia, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Shanindia

Shanindia New Member

Hi!

Am planning to buy a new setup:
    *Yamaha Pacifica 012 or 112
    *Marshall MG10 or 15
    *Digitech RP-80 or Boss OS-2

Shall I go for rp-80 or OS-2 (planning to get it from US)? I am more into blues (BB King, Eric Clapton, Robert Cray) and rock (metallica, G&R, pink floyd etc) Also, can anyone help me with shops in mumbai where i can get the guitar/amp 2nd hand.

Cheers!
    ~Shanindia

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Os-2.

But OD-3 is touted to have better (infact the best) tone among all Boss pedals.

You might require one delay pedal also along, though.

3. Shanindia

Shanindia New Member

Thanks, but OS-2 has both overdrive as well as distortion, whereas OD-3 is overdrive only. Wouldn't it be preferable to have both the effects in one pedal.

Cheers!

4. umangu

umangu New Member

I have the Marshall MG15. The amp's in-built OD is quite decent. But if you use a pedal, the amp doesn't do justice to the price you pay for the pedal.

In hindsight, after playing the MG for 4 years and having used a BOSS Multi-FX for as long, I wish I had bought a better amp to begin with.

If you can buy even a small tube amp now, get that. Otherwise save your money now.

When you've played the MG for a while, then go out and buy a pedal. Frankly, I think the in-built OD on the MG is better than the Boss pedal (for use with a small solid state). You need a better amp to realise the potential of a good pedal.

5. Shanindia

Shanindia New Member

So it is better to go for RP-80, as it has drum machine, and other effects like phaser, flanger, compression etc....???

6. Shanindia

Shanindia New Member

Btw, I play as a hobby, no plans for gigging. Also, could you guys help me with shops dealing in second hand stuff... (might get better amp within my budget that way).

Cheers!

7. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Od-3 is better sounding.

the distortion in OS-2 is real crap.

9. Shanindia

Shanindia New Member

Yes, I went through the reviews for OD-3, seems it would be better for my kind of music. But as Umang said, it might not be too distinguishable with MG10/15. Will have to try it out with the amp, i guess.