new pickups or new axe

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by nilu_nirvana, Dec 28, 2006.

1. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

If you're kind of a tone freak and you prefer analog pedals to digital then i say get the pickups changed otherwise there's not much point. The tone's not gonna be changing much in a digital setup whether youre using korean or dimarzios.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

For Eric Johnson, you should try using teh Fat distortion amp sim on your processor.

Keep the gain under 5.

Keep treble well low. Mids high and decent amount of Bass for roundness in teh tone. Add a hint of chorus also.

You would not get his tone spot on, but atleast come closer to it.

First thing to note is that most of teh artist you would try to emulate use analog gear. Analog gear is responsive, to playing style, to resonant characteristics of guitar, to subtle voicing of the pickups etc.

Digital gear (I dont know the reason why) is unable to respond like that.

That is the reason why I say, get your amps and stomp boxes sorted out first. Then worry about guitar wood and pickups.

Second thing: many artist use compression before overdrive. unfortunately the KORG processor, has not option to do so. Hence, the long sustain thingie is not possible.

You are getting more noise because you would be dialing in a large gain.
    Believe me, only the heaviest of the heaviest metal bands use gain @9-10/10. On Korg, I observed that the tone starts getting muddy when gain is raised above 6 (on any amp sim except OD).

Sustain will also come from loud volumes. When you play at louder volumes, you will hear more sustain, at lower gain.

3. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

thanx for the suggestions alpha..i'll try the fat dist. on the modeller...and ya, the compressor and amps cannot be used simultaneously on the processor...

normally, i keep the gain at around 5 to 7 , depending on the tone i need..will try lowering that too..
    many thanx

4. yazi

yazi Banned

The point Alpha1 was trying to make is that while analog is good for copying, digital gives your music originality, right?

Anyways, they dont matter much.

And dont spend $50000 on gear if you dont know how to play. (Mind you I copied that line).

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

^^ Yep, original noise! ;)

The versatility of digital processors is one thing that makes them so useful, right next to the fact that you can tie in so many parameters in one touch without having to use racks going into a pedalboard, etc.

The amp rates higher on colouring your sound. My Philips hi-fi 2.1 speakers give me a clearer sound as compared to a Stranger Cube 20M :shock:
    Well, it's not really a shock seeing that I'm talking about a Stranger amp :p:

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Actually my tech21 gives better tone when I plug them to my creative, than while plugged to the Marshall (even in line-in) => (for the un-iniitated I demonstarted some time back why its better to plug your amp-modeller into the line-in rather than guitar-in of the amp.)

7. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

So what's the deal? I need to do some reading up on this issue. Maybe I don't need to buy an amp after all :p:

8. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

yea seriously.....i prefer my Creative 5.1 speakers to my ol Marshall 10CD...the 5.1 are pretty good...unless u put toooooo much BASS

9. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

lol u expect it to sound good when increasing the bass from the subwoofer and keeping the treble and midrange at a constant setting...hey btw which of the 5 speakers give the sound out, only the front two right ?

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

4 give sound....and 1 is a subwoofer...that also gives sound...if its not giving sound on all 4....then u gotta configure it on ur soundcard...which i didnt know for a week

11. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^^so uve started using ur speaker more then ur TFX :mad:

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

haha no......my speakers are for recording and play back...basically this is my setup...

Cheap guitar - Zoom g7 - Laney - Mic - Computer - Creatives

13. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Dont disgrace that beautiful Strat copy by calling it cheap.........u could call it hmm affordable.....not cheap :)

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

id never disgrace my baby.....its my fav guitar !! but c'mon its a low low low end guitar....but it can kill ur guitar if i put a JB and a 59 into the guitar and get a wilkinson bridge (this ones bridge isnt that great for bends and stuff)...hehehe its a beauty....

15. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

thats why I said dont call it cheap ;)

16. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

but it is......LOL........heheh ok...ill ease off on that.....:p