new pickups or new axe

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by nilu_nirvana, Dec 28, 2006.

1. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

guys, i have another question for you...i am currently using an Aria XL DLX, plugged into a marshall 15cd via a 1500g.What i wanted to know is, whether i should go for a new axe or a new pup, if i am looking for some upgradation. I am kinda comfortable with my axe and so i was thinking of getting a seymour duncan SH 4 JB for the bridge. Will that help?Otherwise, i was thinking of a jackson DK2M pro...which turns out be the much more expensive proposition!!

2. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

Ok mate i have a tansen strat rip off. i was in the same situation. I decided to get the pickups changed for my tansen and it sounds amazing. It is a worthy upgradation if ur guitar is in good condition ok.On the other hand start saving a bit for ur future guitar and get that when u are ready. It will easier, i did this and IMO its a good sensable thinking. Although get the bridige and the neck both replaced cause there will be a huge volume swell between those pickups.Hope this helps

3. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

thanx dude..i was thinking of the same...my axe is hardly 6 months old, so the condition is mint...and your suggestion of getting both the pups changed is most welcome...the volume diff. totally slipped off my mind!!!

now i have to decide whether to blow off 10k on seymours right now, or save another some 35k and get the jackson!!!!decisions,decisions!!!!

4. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Well replacing the pickups seems to be a cheaper proposition than buying a brand new guitar. If you're comfortable with the feel of the guitar and think that even as you deelop your playing the guitar will still suit you, by all means change the pickups....dont go in for a new one if you still feel your current guitar will do.
    Try JB bridge and Paf Pro neck to give your axe a unique and improved sound...

5. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

hows the PAF pro? i've heard good things about the JB, but the PAF pro is unfamiliar to me

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You should should get a new amp as an upgradation.
    Or a new processor/stomp box.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

BTW what exactly are you expecting from the new guitar or the new pick ups?

8. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

^^ Important question. Maybe combine the pickups with a new amp as well.

9. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

i'm basically looking for more sustain and lower noise, and some better tones......

10. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Dimarzio Paf Pro is a great neck pickup. Lot of people use it like Vai,satriani,petrucci... Check out the website for details https://www.dimarzio.com/

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

All these quality brands like Duncan/Dimarzio will give much better clarity, sustain and lesser noise than your stock Korean/Chinese pickups.

Now,you have to decide based on what kind of music you primarily play.

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hmmm.
    This is what you need to do first:
    1. Take some other guitar, plug it into your set-up and see (rather hear) how different does it sound from yours.
    2. Take your guitar and plug it into a different set-up and check the difference.

Then decide what you wanna go for (a different guitar/pickup or a different set-up).

:help:

Ah, as a point aside, can you tell me the typical settings (patch) that you use on AX1500, along with teh settings on your MG15CD.

Lets see if your problem can be rectified with your current gear itself.

13. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^^All hail the new king, Alpha1.

14. shak

shak Harrr!

^ you'll be surprised to know what this king has been through on IGT .. haha

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Bwahahahaa.

I hate to see ppl spending money on smaller things instead of bigger things that can have more effect.

16. Double Click

Double Click New Member

With ur current setup, its unlikey u will notice much improvement in your tone.

U need a new proc/stompbox more than u need new pickups.

I suggest u sell off the Korg. Use the money + the 10K u have to get urself either

a) Stompboxes
    b) POD XT

17. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

18. yazi

yazi Banned

^^^^ Your genre?

19. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

dire straits, U2, megadeth, deep purple, RHCP, GNR, eric johnson

20. Chi

Chi B.D. Fisher

gettin the pickups changed is not at all a bad idea. even if u get a 25k jackson, thats a again a korean made, average pickups..try to get a good amp tho, n stompboxes n multifx come later..