New Guitar Exchange?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sanjivdas, Jan 17, 2006.

1. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I had asked my friend to get me a RG321MH from HK, but he could not find one, so he picked up a RG370DX in black instead. It'll reach me on the 19th.

In case anyone is willing and able, I would love to exchange the brand new piece with a new RG321MH and a Rocktron Black Cat Moan / Dunlop Cry Baby with Fasel Inductors. The cost of the RG370DX would be exactly that of the RG321MH + Cry Baby w Fasel, so no money need change hands. The RG321MH is not available in Bangalore, I think its available in Bombay. Anyone coming in from the US, or friends coming in, or people who can get the stuff from Bombay etc, please let me know if you are interested. Exchange to be in Bangalore.

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Why do you want to exchange. RG370DX is an okay guitar too. I have played through it several times. I dont like it but I am sure Ibanez fans will.

3. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Are you willing to sell the RG370DX? If so, how much do you want for it?

4. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Not selling the guitar. Actually the RG370DX is more like a rock/metal guitar, the Edge II bridge is wasted on someone like me who never used the tremelo and never play metal. Also, I need something with rich tones and good sustain, so I was looking at the hard tail RG321MH.

Hence looking at exchanging. But I guess I'll wait till only a couple of days for an offer after it reaches. After that, I will start playing on the RG370DX, and most probably no exchange after that.

5. ronnieanand

For a Rich Tone, you shouldn't have considered Ibanez Guitars. You could have got yourself a Fender or Godin or Carvin which would have come in similar prices.

6. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

You are right, the Ibanezs are not know for a particularly rich tone. I already have a guitar which is pretty close to a fender, and its pretty bright. I was looking at the Ibanez RG321MH, which is the 2005 edition with the mahogany body as against the basswood of the other RG series. The mahogany makes the tone rich and fuller at the low end, and the hard tail design offers more sustain. From what i could gather, these mahogany body ibanezs are in between a fender and an LP, so that would have been good. My first choice was an Epi LP anyway, but my friend could not find that either. So here I am, with the 370DX.

7. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

Yup
    I finally checked out the legendary Rg 370dx . One of the worst tone's i've ever heard.
    Its too treblish and gives more clicks than the actual note. I definately thought my Givson was way better .

GIVSON RULES !

8. ronnieanand

Fender is not about just a bright tone. It's a great guitar to hold and play. It has a great feel to the neck. You have to play them for a while to really know them. I have a friend's Fender with me for quite a while and after I have become a Fender Fan. Got some Lace Sensor Hot Gold pickups too for some future Fender Project :beer: .

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well didnt Ritchie Backmore turn to Fenders coz they are harder to play?

10. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Well err..I am a Fender fan too. I have a Squier standard series stratocaster, which I hear is pretty close to the Fender Stratocaster, and I admit its nice to play, and even with the 3 single pickups its quite versatile. But it still is bright.

I played on my brothers GRG 170DX, a low end Ibanez by all means, but I assure you, the GRG neck felt good, and playing onto a marshall amp without any boost or overdrive or distortion etc, I could get various types of crunch from the pickups. My Squier can only be bright / twangy / nasal / quacky in such a setup. I think the RG370DX's Wizard neck would be better, and the Infinities are DiMarzio designed, so should give me a quality sound, and a different type of sound than the Squier. So its not like I am disposing my Squeir, I am going for two guitars for variety in sound.

@Alfons - Man, I really don't think its fair on your part to say the Givson is better. We all know it isn't, it can't be. It would defy physics, chemistry, economics and maths.

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^^^
    Not the economics part thou.

12. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

@GIVSON
    COMPARED TO A IBANEZ>>>>>>>:shock::shock:
    I THOUGHT EVERYONE HERE THOUGHT GIVSON SUCKED!

13. ronnieanand

He did turn to Fender guitars because they are harder to play. Harder not because it wasn't comfortable to hold. Harder because Single Coils have a sharp attack and clean note clarity. You cannot play fast and manage with a muffled sound like Jimmy Page. You have to damn accurate. So loves that Single Coil attack and also the challenge in getting all the notes perfect. A Man of Perfection is Ritchie Blackmore. :nw: :nw:

14. ronnieanand

Get your hand on a Fender with good pickups. Squiers dont do justice. I have played them and I didn't find it any close to the real ones. Good pickups will make a lot of difference too.

15. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

GIVSON .... sucks but not for the price ...
    If u spend same amount on a givson and an Ibanez ... The Ibanez will surely suck .....

16. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Ronnie, I have played Fenders, all my friends in the UK used to have Teles or Startocasters, and they recommended me the Squier. All the Squiers I have ever seen in India are the affinity series. Playing on a standard series squier is different, they are the real deal. They cost almost twice as much as the affinities, come mostly with maple neck and fretboard, with some very good colours, and the pickups are totally different. Quite a few decent bands play with this guitar, in fact one such guitar hangs in the Hard Rock cafe in London, some famous name's I don't remember now. Attaching a pic of mine, you could play it once and see for yourself.

@nanda - you could try your hand on the Rs. 6500 Givson and the Rs. 11.5K GRG170DX (with Basswood body, Ibanez Fat10 Trem, H-S-H Powersounds, 3 piece Maple Neck, Bound Rosewood Finger Boards, 24 frets, sharktooth inlays, die cast tuners, 5 way switches etc etc), and you would see its worth double the price anyday.

Attached Files:

17. ronnieanand

Sure. Will play yours sometime :beer:

18. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Ronnie, you are most welcome.

Also, you were talking about the extra mass on the machine head making for better sustian and tone somewhere. Did you mean a headstock like the one on my guitar? I have seen Blackmore playing similar one's I think.

19. ronnieanand

Yep. Looks like those Large CBS Headstocks. And Blackmore uses CBS headstocks.

20. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Hey I have owned over 3 squires now sold of two one is still with a friend all were diffrent models .. well I fav was Squire standard which I had bought in delhi from Bharat Music it was great guitar I was buying Mexican Fender hence sold that .. Then I even had Affinty strat now this was not very great guitar but some had great soft overdriven sound .. Last one nopw left is California series apprantely this is real cheap guitar but is very good for the price clean tone is good even with distrotion there is not too much hum .. Well I agree that Squire standard series is the best among all .. Well I would sugest to try some old Mexican Strat models specaily the ones produced before 2004 .. They have great bright sound..