New amp: Need help

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by tapas.perti, May 16, 2011.

1. deepsal

deepsal New Member

Good wats noce to know that you finally realised my power
    now can i have the Sansamp and crybaby
    you dont want to piss your god do you??? :p

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

So a 15W Haze full stack will be same as 40W Haze combo?
    Also how would you rate the Laney Cub 10 or Cub 12 for the high gain thing?

3. deepsal

deepsal New Member

40 Gives you more headroom while the 15 wont thats it
    there is negligible volume difference b/w the two
    And no although i havent tried em but clubs cant do high gain it has 1 12ax7 as far as i remember thats ineffecient for high gain the only laney capable of doing that is vh100
    and if you are looking for a cheap good high gain low wattage amp there is only one i.e the blackstar ht-5
    but unfortunately it isnt available in india,you gotta shell out 60k if you want a high gain tube amp in india
    @Pravas what do you think about your amp how is the spider's tone do you love it?? like i love my amp?

4. Pravas

Pravas New Member

l...I never said I own One. I just gave this guy a link to see its review.

5. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Laney cub 10 has got
    Preamp Valves 2x ECC83 (or 2X12AX7)
    Output Valves 2x 6v6GT

Marshall Haze has got
    Preamp Valve ECC83 (or 1X12AX7)
    Output Valve 6V6

Now tell me why a cub can't do high gain? It seems superior to me than the Haze..

6. deepsal

deepsal New Member

Neither it depends on the circuit bhai
    i am not an electronic engineer i am a ca :p
    more tubes doesnt means more gain
    for eg one amp buy be3 amplifiers has more tubes than a soldano but it doesnt makes it better than a soldano
    btw you wanna buy these or maze le raha hai :p
    Btw i will start buiding an electric se7en and maybe a custom pup after 1-2 months,have been researching about them since a few months, will post the updates here as well on ug and ss

7. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I'm definitely not buying the Haze full stack as it'll be overkill.
    All i need is a good practice amp and Laney cub 10 fits my bill.

I'm not fooling around, i just wanted to clear my doubts but you dint cleared them well enough..

8. deepsal

deepsal New Member

My bad then
    just tell me whats your budget?

9. flood

flood New Member

what the **** are you guys rambling about!?

be3, soldano, cub, haze... you're comparing apples to ****ing ravioli!

oh yeah, mr. god, a heads-up for you: wattage and gain are not independent of each other. never wrong my ass.

lower gain = less output swing = the power tubes are driven only up to a certain point.

the misconception on these forums is that people (including the resident god, it seems) automatically equate preamp gain with preamp distortion and saturation, and that high-gain automatically means DETH METCHUL chugga-chugga-chugga. this is simplistic and oversimplified.

voltage gain isn't infinite - once your preamp starts distorting, you've reached a maximum output voltage swing. if you don't have a master volume on your amp, the gain control is VERY MUCH in charge of how much power the amp is putting out!

my point: stop letting all the theory dictate how you choose your amp, just play the damn thing and see how you like it. this isn't going to be the last amp you buy!

man, when i read these threads, am i happy i build my own.

10. deepsal

deepsal New Member

My balls
    vol and gain are independent of each other now
    they were dependent in the early stages where there was only 1 master control and no gain control

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

None has talked about How marshall haze compared to Peavey mentioned on the previous page.

12. deepsal

deepsal New Member

Vypyr 60 or my 6505
    it loses to both these amps

13. flood

flood New Member

this is the exact reason why i changed my sig to what it is now.

you've declared it... now prove it. mathematically. feel free to use schematics and get technical.

14. wylder

wylder Member

Damn! No replies? I thought we were gonna have a nice fight here.

I think somebody meant clipping/distortion by gain.

My electronics knowledge is very poor but the way I understand it is that gain is the ratio of output voltage to input voltage. And volume is dependent on voltage.

An amp starts clipping when the input is such that the output voltage after amplification is greater than its maximum voltage capacity. In such a case, the amp does not put out more voltage than its capacity but instead clips the output peaks which are above its capacity.

Is this right? Enlighten us oh wise one...

15. wylder

wylder Member

Btw, how loud is the the 5150? Can you get thick lead tones (non buzzy) at tv volume at home?

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ok, what is it with t00b amps that cannot be emulated by a program?

(Beware I am not asking the difference between the current breed of processors and t00b amps)

17. flood

flood New Member

probably.

yep, you pretty much got that part right. gain is = Vout/Vin.

and power P=V*I.

18. flood

flood New Member

i'm not a programmer, but from what i know:

1. nonlinear behaviour, modelling actual physical effects. transfer functions are just one part of the equation and this would all be foolishly simple if we were dealing with just one discrete wave at a time. the reality is very different; the guitar signal itself is a fairly complex wave, and overlaying a number of them makes things complicated.

so just taking a bunch of curves and writing algorithms accordingly isn't going to help, really.

2. limitations imposed by AD/DA conversion, processing speed, etc. this is improving rapidly though.

3. i think the hardest part is getting the dynamics and response right, a direct result of 1. with tubes, you have huge amounts of voltage headroom so the nuances are preserved - with most processing, you need to get it down to low voltage levels to drive the ADC within reasonable limits. this necessitates attenuation, companding, etc. essentially changing the content information of the guitar signal in a very different way from a tube amp.

while it isn't part of your question, the final part would be getting the solid state output stage to react the same way a tube power amp would.

that's all i can think of at this moment, and i think at some point there will be processors that nail tube amp response and make the axefx look like the zoom 9002. if you're interested in the topic, google a bit and you'll find a couple of forums dedicated to modelling amps.

19. deepsal

deepsal New Member

@ Wylder its much much higher than tv volumes and yes i can get good lead tones out of it at 1,tbh i dont know how it sounds at 2+ vol levels everything started trembling when i played it at 2 but maybe thats because there arent any casters fitted

and to flood you are on a troll dont expect a c.a to explain you schematics lul
    and i guess i lose you win

20. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

@deepsal:
    Dude i dont believe anythin you say but
    and please save your balls for something worthwhile next time...