Networking

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by rockin'away, Feb 27, 2005.

1. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

Has anyone got an easy way of networking...

i got a new com and i tried networking both coms together with and ethernet PCI card in the one with internet and then a crossover cable joining the two computers together... yet still it doesnt work.. it says that the connection is limited or there is no connectivity... anyone help me one this?

2. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

u got a new com?...is that a com port or a comp u r trying to say....if it is a com port...why wud u want to network them on the same comp?

3. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

no its a computer

4. light_of_erindi

can u give me details??... this is what i make of it...like r u trying to connect through a modem on one comp...from the other comp....try checking...
    1. drivers for lan card
    2. Baud
    3. access right settings (like Admin and all)

If u just want to transfer files from one comp to another....use a USB or COM port cable instead.

that's preliminary... if u give me datils about ur OS ...and what exactly did u do to generate that message... i can help u more...

5. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

i got broadband modem on one pc and then i connected the new pc to the one with the modem.. i want to get all files, printer and internet... but it doesnt seem to work...

6. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

so you have a broadband modem in the one pc and you want to connect your second pc directly into your first pc so that it can share the connection from the first pc?

7. gnr311982

gnr311982 New Member

try keeping both the ip addresses to be automatically detected.

8. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

ye rabi thats wat i want to do... connect both pcs together

9. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

hey rock.. if you wanna connect 2 computers without any networking device and only with a network cable... then you need to have a CROSS OVER CABLE rather than the simple one.. if you know how to make that cable then refer to the below address for lining up colors ..

https://ftp.ipsyn.net/pub/mirrors/cabling/T568B_scheme_opt.jpg
    this is a diagram differentiating both of them. i mean the straight cable and cross over cable..

and if you dont know how to make a cable yourself then go to any computer shop nearby and ask them to make a cross connection cable to connect two computers together without the help of any Hub or somthing.. they will make it straight away...

but you need to have a network adapter in both of your computers..

Regards

10. light_of_erindi

If u just want to transfer files from one comp to another use a COM cable..
    if sharing internet connection is what u want...here is a snippet from windows help..
    type sharing internet connection in help and search..

To enable Internet Connection Sharing on a network connection
    Open Network Connections.
    Click the dial-up, local area network, PPPoE, or VPN connection you want to share, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
    On the Advanced tab, select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.
    If you want this connection to dial automatically when another computer on your home or small office network attempts to access external resources, select the Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet check box.
    If you want other network users to enable or disable the shared Internet connection, select the Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection check box.
    Under Internet Connection Sharing, in Home networking connection, select any adapter that connects the computer sharing its Internet connection to the other computers on your network.
    Important

You should not use this feature in a network with other domain controllers, DNS servers, gateways, DHCP servers, or systems configured for static IP.
    When you enable Internet Connection Sharing, the network adapter connected to the home or small office network is given a new static IP address configuration. Existing TCP/IP connections on the Internet Connection Sharing computer are lost and need to be reestablished. For example, if Internet Explorer is connecting to a Web site when Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, refresh the browser to reestablish the connection.
    To use the Internet Connection Sharing feature, users on your home or small office network should configure TCP/IP on their local area connection to obtain an IP address automatically. Home or small office network users must also configure Internet options for Internet Connection Sharing.
    Notes

To open Network Connections, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
    You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
    Internet Connection Sharing and Internet Connection Firewall cannot be enabled on incoming connections.
    For information about the protocols, services, interfaces, and routes that are automatically configured, click Related Topics.
    To enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Discovery and Control on Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition computers, run the Network Setup Wizard from the CD or floppy disk on these computers. For more information about the Network Setup Wizard, click Related Topics.
    For ICS Discovery and Control to work on Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition computers, Internet Explorer version 5.0 or later must be installed.
    The Home networking connection is only present when two or more network adapters are installed on the computer.
    Internet Connection Sharing, Internet Connection Firewall, Discovery and Control, and Network Bridge are not available on Windows XP 64-Bit Edition.

does that solve it?...

11. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

ill try but how do i:

configure TCP/IP on their local area connection to obtain an IP address automatically. Home or small office network users must also configure Internet options for Internet Connection Sharing.
    Notes

12. light_of_erindi

go to.....control panel...of the one with internet connections..
    click....networking....in the XP view.... a link will appear in the top left corner as Network troubleshooting.... go there...
    click the "Diagnose network configuration and run automated networing tests" ... they shud check ur configurations and guide u further.

13. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

k any other solutions?

14. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

how do i re configer the IP address of a network adapter?

15. light_of_erindi

go to device manager....check properties on the network adapter...there will be a setting for the IP address of the adapter...enter the one u want like 127.0.0.1...which is the localhost...or any other...make sure u have the same IP address for the other comp...that u can set thru the computer identification in the system properties....if u installed XP correctly ... this identification shud be there already which u gave during installation.

16. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

wen u go on device manager do u clik on the adapter and then go on properties and clik advanced and choose network address?

17. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

an how do i chek the IP address of the other computers network adapter?

18. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

19. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

here thanks.....

i got tham connected some how... but the new computer wont recieve anything.... it is sending but wont receive.... and the interent still isnt up!

20. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

have you tried Windows Home Networking Wizard Setup ?