need to buy an electric guitar...help

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by arnie_t8, Jun 18, 2009.

1. arnie_t8

arnie_t8 New Member

hi...i hav been playing guitar for the past 8 yrs...but acoustic.
    hav very little knowledge of electric guitars...so plz suggest me a gud guitar nd a processor...i wanna play metallica , soad etc...i can shell out arnd 20k....wont prefer to spend much on the processor rite now..but need a really gud guitar wich i can use for performances in future(once i master it).

also i m not planning to purchase an amp rite now...will be using my music system or the comp speakers...is it ok??...will they produce gud sound or i shud buy a basic amp as well??

lastly i put up in delhi...nd i bot my last acoustic ibanez v70 frm bhargavas in daryaganj...shud i buy the electric frm the same place...as i hav heard that they sell at slighly higher price but are trusted...wat dyu say?? or suggest me a gud shop in delhi..

thanks a lot

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

For dec ent metal tones you need to get at least the Zoom G2 or the rp 250. They come around 8K i think. That leaves about 12K for the guitar. Maybe someone else could comment on that. And, yes it would be fine to use your comp speaker with a processor.

3. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

1) Any decent processor( Korg ax5g/korg ax1500g, Zoom g2.1u/ Digitech RP250 etc) can you you a decent over drive/ heavy distorted sound...........u will just need to tweak around with its setting a little bit....or if you really just a metal tone with no frills or fancies go for an AMT metalizer.......

2) You can use your computer speakers for practice purposes....but sooner or later you will realize the need for an amp. I would say you go for an entry level amp which doesn't color the tone much ( like stranger etc). But having said that, a Marshall can really give you the crunch you need.....

3) Since you have to include a processor in your budget, probably and favorably an amp too. you will at most be left with 10k to 12k for the electric. I would say you go for a Greg Bennett Avion Av1/ other brand i think was worth it, is GB&A i bought a GB&A electric for around 8.5 k a few weeks back and its value for money...... I had preferred it over entry level Ibanez/ Squier's/ Yamaha's because it felt comfortable in my hands and had 24 frets......i got Emg pickups fitted for around 5k a few days back and it sound great.......

PS:- i use the GB&A only for practice/ backup purposes, i use a Greg Bennett Avion AV3 for gigging........

4. perseus

perseus New Member

5. arnie_t8

arnie_t8 New Member

wont prefer to buy an amp rite now...wud save up money nd buy it later.

and as for the guitar consider that i can spend arnd 15-16k...as my guitar sir suggested me a zoom processor wich is for 3800 (dunno the model no...but the most basic one)...and even if i hav to buy a better processor i can extend my budget by 2-3k.

basically i am focussing on a very gud guitar rite now...sumthing i can use for years...plz suggest me one wich is considered the best in this budget...value for money types.

thnks for ur replies.

6. perseus

perseus New Member

Go with the cheapest Ibanez you can find then.

7. perseus

perseus New Member

To cloud the water for you more (you're welcome) and as disclaimer, literally, I don't like Ibanez guitars. In your budget you might wanna look at Squiers. Cheap, you bet, but they play better than anything Ibanez has yet managed.

8. perseus

perseus New Member

Replace the pickups when you can, if you do buy a Squier.

9. distorted

distorted satan

a wiser decision wud be invest more on guitar, n build up odr things wen u get more cash... Chk fr ibanezRGs, corts, ESPs fender squier. try ye hands on dem well b4 u pik up anything.
    later go fr a gud amp, n aftr dat a gud processor. Till den manage wid sumthing cheap. Atleast, u wud nt need to change yr gear evry nw n den fr minor upgrades.
    Ps- m selling an entry level digitech processor n a stranger amp myself.
    Pps- @angel: wt emgs u got man? Evn i m planning to change pikups, confused bw blackouts n emgs.

10. perseus

perseus New Member

"a wiser decision wud be invest more on guitar, n build up odr things wen u get more cash"

Man's dealing with a budget.

11. distorted

distorted satan

I meant invest most of d cash on guitar fr nw... Rest can wait...

12. perseus

perseus New Member

But you trade in cannabis. Clearly we can't trust you.

13. arnie_t8

arnie_t8 New Member

any particular guitar u suggest??

14. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

ibanez rg321mh

15. angel_of_sin

@ distorted i bought an EMG 81 humbucker for the bridge and two 8A's for the neck and middle......they are second hand about two and a half years old............. the humbucker sound bloody awesum and the 8A's have a sorta stratacastory tone to them...( i dun like strats that much)......my friend was selling his old pickups.........he bought new Dimarizio's so he offered me this and i grabbed it with both hands....

And by blackouts are u referring to Seymour Duncans??????

16. angel_of_sin

i would still say Greg Bennett......They are better than low range Ibanez's anyways.....

17. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

Buy a guitar. And get some amp-emulation softwares like Amplitube etc. They blow the as*es of most of the amplifiers out there. Since you say that you are beginning on an electric, no need for fancy processors. You don't need those delays and comps and reversbs and crazy sci-fi reverbs yet....you just need good tone to get you started.

18. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

Btw, since you have been playing acoustics for 8 yrs now, why get into this bleddy hell of electrics and amps and procys. For me, all electric stuff fails when I listen to Antoine Dufour.

19. arnie_t8

arnie_t8 New Member

well may be u hav played electric nd got bored of it...m yet to play it.
    dyin to play fade to black on my guitar...will need a proc for that

20. arnie_t8

arnie_t8 New Member

ppl m gonna buy my guitar in this week most probably....any odr suggestions..
    as of now the suggestions i got are:
    1. ibanez 321mh
    2. gb avion av1...though i can afford av3 too in my budget.

i m ready to increase my budget to 20k for the guitar only..nd even 1-2k more if required....nd will buy proc nd amp sumtime later.

also i got an offer of 2 months used jackson kelly(dunno the exact model)..for Rs 12k
    its got a double locking tremolo...24 jumbo frets....double cut...thats wat i rememmber....is it a good buy?