Need to buy an acoustic guitar (budget Rs. 25,000)

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by death_metal_fan, May 4, 2006.

1. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Like the title says, I am looking for a quality / professional acoustic guitar (read: no Givsons / Hobners). What instrument would you folks recommend within a budget of 25k? More importantly will those instruments be available in Bombay and if so where?

Thanks for your help.

2. vini

vini Repeat Offender

u sure have a thick budget :p:
    how about yamaha (CGX111SCA) or maybe Yamaha (CG101 Natural) or Washburn (D10CEQSB Dreadnought) or Gibson(dunno any model in particular)....

3. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

OViation ir Takamine HANDS DOWN for that Budget lol.

4. death_metal_fan

@jocelyn: I have called Bhargavas and Furtados. Neither of them stock Takamines. Furtados has an Ovation Celebrity CC24 for 22k but I have read bad reviews about it. Do you know anyone in Bombay who stocks Takamines?

@vini: Are the ones you mentioned available in Bombay? If so, where?

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I didn't like Ovations. Check out Takamines. It's really lush sounding. Also check out Seagull made by Godin Guitars. Also check out Zager modified Martin Guitars. They exactly fit your budget. They cost about 25000 and play like 1,50,000 kinda guitars. But you will have to figure out some way to get it down from the US. These guitars are really good.

6. vini

vini Repeat Offender

sorry dude..im not from mumbai so i cant tell u, where they could be available but y dont u check them out in the shops u just mentioned ^

7. death_metal_fan

I'm having difficulty finding Takamines here in Bombay. I am being made an offer on a practically new American-made Takamine EG334SC with a hardcase for Rs. 30,000. I played it and it sounds and plays really nicely.

https://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=177&sid=69

What are your views about it? I'll check out the ones you mentioned.

8. death_metal_fan

Anyone else have any suggestions?

9. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

get an ovation applause.

10. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

wtf 25k on an acoustic

no doubt u r a pro

r u looking for a purely acoustic or a semi acoustic

n is it a classical??

11. death_metal_fan

@sayanakaharry: I find that Ovations have a very tinny sound and would certainly avoid buying them if I can. Comfortable they are, no doubt but sound is the prime factor of course.

@Spy_Game: Not a pro by any means. I just want to buy a quality acoustic; I am not yet sure whether I should buy a steel-string or a classical (probably a steel-string, but I have not decided yet).

12. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

Dude u got dough, why not look out for a Martin or a Taylor??? I dont know abt india, but i think they shud be available there. Good choice avoiding Ovation. Look for the prime stuff. Dont read the labels, let the instrument talk. Forget brands and try out different guitars. Get the one u like, simple as that. Peace out.

13. death_metal_fan

^ If only it were as simple as walking into a Long&McQuade and playing all the instruments. Furtados here has only 4 (yes, 4) imported guitar models available

1) Fender DG4CE - Rs. 9,500 /-
    2) Samick LW025GLEQ - Didn't find out price
    3) Yamaha FX310A - Rs. 13,975 /-

And the only thing they had in the 20k+ range was an Ovation Celebrity CC24 for Rs. 22,805 /- and well you know how I feel about Ovations.

Neither Bhargavas nor Furtados stock Takamines (so forget about Martins or Taylors), so I'm looking out for any guitar shop in Bombay that would have some of them for me to try out. Besides I think you are underestimating the price of a decent Martin or Taylor.

Damn this country sucks when it comes to buying musical instruments.

14. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Actually, its going to be difficult,to get a realy high quality giuitar here in India. The reason being is no Music shop will risk investing in TO MANY of them when people are just going to come cheak out the guitar and leave. They want to sell, and very few people are going to spend a lot of money, face the facts. I know Takamine has a dealer in India, just dont remmeber know who it is. I would suggest if you can ask someone ( who knows quality guitar) to get it from the USA, you would also have better options.

15. death_metal_fan

My uncle is a Berklee graduate in jazz guitar living in Boston and I could easily have him buy one for me and get it down here. But what sounds good to him may not sound good to me no matter whether it's a $200 or a $2,000 guitar. Guitar tone is a matter of personal taste and I would never buy a guitar without having played it myself. This is particularly true in case of acoustics, so that option is a strict no-no. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anyone else have something to share?

16. zing

zing Machine Head

last time i went 2 furtados some months back they had a stock of alhambra guitars going for abt 25k - u really shd check em out

17. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

18. rwaghmare

rwaghmare New Member

Hello i m rahoul from pune a small time classical guitar builder.
    pls tell me the specifications of the guitar .
    i can make a custom made guitar u want.
    is the guitar ur planning to buy made of solid wood???
    i make guitar of solid rosewood back and side and imported spruce
    instead of buying cheap imported guitars why dont u go for desi guitar
    if ur interested pls mail me
    aqualibguitars@yahoo.com

19. rwaghmare

rwaghmare New Member

Hello i m rahoul from pune a small time classical guitar builder.
    pls tell me the specifications of the guitar .
    i can make a custom made guitar u want.
    is the guitar ur planning to buy made of solid wood???
    i make guitar of solid rosewood back and side and imported spruce
    instead of buying cheap imported guitars why dont u go for desi guitar
    if ur interested pls mail me
    aqualibguitars@yahoo.com