Need some opinions before finalizing

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by fidach, Mar 28, 2007.

1. fidach

fidach New Member

Hi guys,

I have been learning to play the guitar on an acoustic for the last year and a half - now I'm planning to add an electric guitar. My budget is 20k for the guitar + amp. It can be stretched a bit, but I guess that should be plenty for a beginner, right?

After doing some research on the internet, I have decided to go in for the Yamaha Pacifica 112 + Roland Cube 15W amplifier, which just about fits into my budget according to the prices on bajaao.com. I'm hoping to get some opinions about this choice, before I make my order.

My musical tastes are mainly in the area of classic rock, bands like Led Zep, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Steely Dan, etc. I also like a few metal bands like Metallica, Sabbath and Maiden.

One last thing, I live in Pune, hence the preference to ordering online - I guess getting this stuff through bajaao.com should be cool, right?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Amit.

2. Anik8

Anik8 -Starforsaken-

Hey Amit,
    Im From Pune too, the yamaha is a good beginner-intermideate im guessing...good choice...
    I know this guy called Roger, who can probably get you the stuff at the same price or a little cheaper then bajaao, and hes totally trustable...ive bought stuff worth 40k from him..hell get it to you without any delivery/transport charges..while bajaao will probably ask for 1k more for delivery..ive bought a couple of things from bajaao..and it takes usually a week or more..here it will take just a couple of days...ill talk to him, and give you his number, if youre intrested...where do you stay ?

3. fidach

fidach New Member

Hi Anik,

Thanks a lot for the info - dealing with a person sounds better than dealing with a website :)

But do hang on for a little while before contacting Roger - hopefully I'll get some more replies to my post, so that I can think about a few more options before deciding what to do.

Thanks again,
    Amit.

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

bajaao has warranty? these people who usually go to diff countries and buy stuff have no control over warranty etc etc..... Thats just what i thought.

5. Anik8

Anik8 -Starforsaken-

dont think bajaao has warranty..or if it is..itll be local...eg. if you buy an ibanez guitar, and its under 'bajaao' warranty, itll get fixed by the bajaao guiys, not the ibanez guys, IMO..

sure...im heading to rogers to buy a processor today..ill talk to him and tell you the price...

i think he has pacificas and grg270s in stock..if you want a floyd, thatd be better...but for the type of stuff you want to play, i dont really think youll need one...

6. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Go for the Yamaha. It's a good guitar. The amp's decent too.
    If you're buying first hand try and get a warranty for it.

7. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

LOL! I got my ibanez from a cheap ass guy in bangalore and bajaao hooked me up with the Ibanez guys and i got a replacement.....So no, Bajaao or any other shop has "official warranty" whereas if you buy something from your guy i doubt its the same.

8. zing

zing Machine Head

9. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Gimme the number please. Does he ship to B'lore?

10. Double Click

Double Click New Member

The Pacifica is a great guitar for the price. U cannot go wrong with it.

I'm not a big fan of the Roland Cubes. They sound very digital and overprocessed. Plus they are waay too expensive for the kind of tone they have.

11. Anik8

Anik8 -Starforsaken-

was just guessing...had no idea...

@DClick
    Nah dude, hes just a local fellow, who knows some people in bombay, and gets it from them a littttlle bit cheaper...most definetly wont ship... :(
    Hes in Bbay right now, doesnt have his cell with him...because i tried calling him,n his son or someone picked up..am buying a amp from him...once he gets back, and i go to get it, ill ask him...but im pretty sure its a no...sorry

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Does he have ESPs by any chance?

13. Anik8

Anik8 -Starforsaken-

guess so...dont really know...hes more of the middleman sort, then a seller himself..

14. fidach

fidach New Member

Thank you!

Guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies!!! Very informative!!!

@DoubleClick, I decided on the Roland after seeing some reviews on the net from people who play classic rock. Do you have any other suggestions for an amp that I could get within 5-6k.

Thanks,
    Amit.

15. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

My shot->Go for a laney amp

16. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

hmm cant believe im saying this but i think your better off with a roland. After playing the microcube i think its the best amp under 5k. It's a bit expensive but if your not gigging its amazing. Dont let the 2w fool you. The thing is loud. I suggest you try some amps like marshall , laney , roland etc out and then decide for yourself

17. Double Click

Double Click New Member

There arent any good amps under 10K as far as I know.... I've been searching for one myself and have been very disappointed with all the amps that I've tried.

U could buy a Marshall MG. They are decent amps that can give u some good tones provided u know how to use it (MG10CD not included)

They may not have the variety of tones that the rolands have, but are much more natural sounding.

I suggest u go and check out both amps. See which one u prefer and buy it.
    Initially the cubes might sound good, but if u listen closely u'll wont like em.

Another somewhat unconventional option is to buy a processor or stompbox with a cab sim built in, and use a hi-fi amp. This is what I am doing for the time being.

18. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

The roland microcube is good....will post some recordings over the 'kend and im pretty sure you will like it too DC

19. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

+1

Shit, this forum won't let me enter such a short message... so I guess I'll have to say what I want to say in the old-conventional manner, which is, I agree...

Damn...

20. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

If you're not looking to use the amp for jams or gigs, get a Roland Microcube.

^Agree with all them people.

And the guitar is a solid choice too.