Need some Advice from Pros..!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by volcano619, Feb 14, 2012.

1. amithkallupalam

amithkallupalam New Member

Exactly, and with better pickups it will sound much better.

2. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

^
    yesss sir

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Thats also pretty personal ;-)
    Unless your preferences are driven by internet opinions (EMGs are sterile, SD are clear, PAF are warm etc)

4. Vader

Vader New Member

point... but as of now i like my guitars on the heavier side...
    ..jamming is ok and i've never gigged for over 20 mins

My dad had bought one around 2-3 years back for 8k(*i think*)...he plays.. and obviously much better than me :)
    it had a single pick up...
    sound was nice

5. amithkallupalam

No its not a personal opinion. Im pretty sure that changing the pickups for some SDs will be way better than sticking with the stock pickups. Most stock pickups are not that great IMO. And Ive never played a guitar with EMGs, so I don't know whether its sterile or anything. But Im sure new pickups will change the sound of the guitar and increase the quality of the instrument to a certain extent. Why do you think all the PROs change their pickups?

6. guitarplayer729

they dont
    because they already own guitars with good pickups

7. amithkallupalam

Dude, what I was trying to convey, is that PROs use good pickups instead of stock ones.

8. guitarplayer729

i was just kidding man

9. boogeyman

boogeyman New Member

Since you seem so determined to play nice, i'd suggest learn the acoustic well specially the classical playing... Coz joe satriani, chris broderick are just two of many who did that and are considerd by many as best in their genre.... And if you want to go into the electrics, i say increase your budget by abt 5k and then try out the cort evl series.... They sounded awesome for the price tag.....

10. volcano619

volcano619 New Member

what bout pacifica 012 with a pev 15W ???
    Dat seems nice... :/

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Why do you think all pros use tube amps?

Not because tubes are better than solid state stuff.
    Because they have a particular sound in their mind. Which is better achieved by vacuum tube circuitry.
    And that's because EARLIER only tubes were there.
    So everyone has set a benchmark - which is tube amps.

Which is what I call as preferences driven by internet opinions.

Changing pickups will make the instrument sound DIFFERENT. But whether it is better or not is highly personal and qualitative.
    Of course in a very basic way - if stock pickups come with extremely low winding (and high resistance), but the modded ones have high winding, then the modded ones will sound stronger.

Perhaps this is what you talk about as sounding better?

For that matter - why do some ppl prefer single coil tone, whereas some prefer humbucker tone?
    Its nothing but preference. We don't call one better than other.

12. deepsal

deepsal New Member

you are wrong amit
    not all pro's use tube amps for eg dime darrel or whatever his name was
    not all ss amps suck eg roland jazz chorus 120,goli for my aunty(b4mv) uses em live and in studio
    and not all pro musicians change the stock pups and some stock pups are really nice
    for eg the neck pup of the ibanez rg1527z prestige,the guy from tesseract loves em paired with a bkp aftermath in the bridge
    yawn....dont try to act like you know everything
    good night

13. amithkallupalam

Dude I didn't say that all solid state amps suck did I? I said, the only good solid state amp in that price range was the vypyr. Well atleast thats what I meant. And I never said all pros use tube amps. And the rg1527z prestige is a HIGH end guitar. Pickups that usually come with HIGH end guitars and good. Not all 'STOCK' pickups are bad! Some ESPs come with the JB and '59 set! Some come with the EMG set. What I'm saying is, usually, pickups that come in cheap guitars aren't all that nice. On my pacifica, the pickups are moderate output pickups, they get really muddy in high gain and they don't retain their clarity. So, if I change my pickups, Ill probably get an sh-6 or a blackout and then it'll sound tonnes 'better'. It'll sound better for me because the stock pickups were not meant for HIGH GAIN, so when I swap em with pickups meant for high gain, I will get a better sounding tone. @Alpha, when you say the sound changes, do you mean that pickups on a 5k electric guitar will just sound 'different' from an awesome new 5k PICKUP? @Deepsal, Dude please read everything before you post. Christ!

14. amithkallupalam

It okay. I have the same combo. I would really suggest getting the pacifica 112 or an rgx and a vypyr 30 if you have the money.

15. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

:RollLol: You should kill yourself..

16. amithkallupalam

Lol!! Didn't notice that!

17. amithkallupalam

BTW he used to use a Krank Revolution which was a 100w Tube head. :p

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Again the same stuff - if someone like clarity - why will he keep his amp's drive on 11?
    He will try to keep the gain low.

As I said - if you have something like:
    Pickup A has more midrange than Pickup B.
    Or Pickup C generates lesser noise than Pickup D
    Or Pickup Z has higher output than Pickup X

then all these statements are quantified.

But saying one is better than the other is plain preference.

Now what about the more expensive pickups?
    Very simple, there are two criteria:
    1. Cost of manufacturing - of course highers windings will be more expensive. Of course silver windings will cost more than copper ones.
    Of course better insulation on windings will cost more than no insulation.
    Of course better isolation of magnets and windings (to reduce vibration and feedback) will cost more than no isolation.

2. Preference of public. This is based on what is regarded by the majority of guitarists as the holy grail tone. The closer you are to that tone - the more expensive you price the stuff.

Is it anywhere related to something sounding better?
    Perhaps.

19. volcano619

volcano619 New Member

i was wondering about a company called JAVA...one of my friend recomended for a low budget electric guitar...what do you think guys...

20. volcano619

volcano619 New Member

oh yea...and...are Kustom made amps good??