Need setting for Ultimate Metal tone

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by guitar_seller, May 16, 2011.

1. guitar_seller

guitar_seller New Member

Hello

I have a Metal-Muff and i want to get a good metal tone from it mainly for recording.
    I actually get decent tone out of it but when i record the guitars, it sounds muddy.
    I wonder what i may be missing.

Any help is welcome !

2. deepsal

deepsal New Member

Whats your recording setup?

3. guitar_seller

guitar_seller New Member

Thanks for your reply deepsal.
    Ibanez guitar -> Metal Muff -> UX1 -> DAW ----> Muddy Guitar tone :p:
    I wanna avoid post processing as much as i can... i want a decent tone at the source itself.. Please suggest modifications that i shud make..

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You know just by saying that you get "muddy tone" is not going to help anyone.

Unfortunately our language has not evolved to the point that it can describe sights and sounds properly.

So please put up the tone that you get (yes a recorded mp3) and the tone that you desire.

5. guitar_seller

guitar_seller New Member

Thanks alpha
    I mainly want to remove muddiness from the tone while recording. You can take any metal tone as an example.. They sound crisp and clear.. i'm lacking that thing...

I will be able to upload the sample in the evening..

6. guitar_seller

guitar_seller New Member

also the setting i'm using on metal muff is like:
    top boost - off
    gain - 3 o'clock
    bass- 3 o'clock
    mids- 11 o'clock
    treble- 11 o'clock

7. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

There's a lot more to getting production quality distortion than just plugging your guitar into your metal muff and recording. Compression, Pre-EQ, Post EQ, amp, etc.

Post a clip of your existing tone as advised, then someone will be able to analyse it better.

Also, Gain at 3 0' clock? What do you need that much for?

8. guitar_seller

guitar_seller New Member

i dont have any other pedal than metal-muff... and as i mentioned post EQ and compression will be done after recording (Obviously :))

I also tried reducing the gain though but it dint helped much. I tried many other setting also apart from wat i mentioned here.
    Anyways will try to upload the mp3 file sometime soon.

In the meantime any recording tips?

9. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I think bad tone can be because you are not a very skilled player... Playing style also matters a lot... My 2 cents
    I am the worst guitar player i know.. so wat i say doesn't matter much..

10. marooned

marooned New Member

what settings are you using on the UX1?

the "muddiness" seems to suggest too much gain usually.. and also the eq doesn't seem right, mids are too low and the bass is too high.. too much bass booms a lot and reduces clarity to an extent and makes the tone even more muddy.. less mids cut the body from the tone.. making it sound hollow..

with the UX1, i think you're better off trying to get a good distortion out of the device itself.. than using a metal muff through it.. although, this part, i'm not entirely sure of.

with the metal muff into the UX1, try using an amp on clean channel thru a larger cab, reduce the gain and see if that helps.. try this setting on the metal muff ..

gain - 1 o clock, mids - 12 o clock, treble - 11 o clock, bass - 11 o clock..

and use the bridge pick up.. if its still muddy.. roll off the volume knob just a little bit.. see if that helps.. and yes, clips would definitely help a lot!

11. guitar_seller

guitar_seller New Member

I will try your setting .. thanks
    Yes i'm using full gain on the UX1..Aint it right? I'll reduce it then..

12. marooned

marooned New Member

no, its not right. you're using gain up to 3 o clock on the metal muff already.. and full gain on the UX1. that's too much gain. you didn't specify clean or dirty channel on the UX1 tho. but i sincerely hope you're not adding any more distortion to it with the amp sim in UX1 also. keep the UX1 on clean channel and maybe up to 12 o clock gain. that is with the settings i mentioned earlier on the metal muff.

or option 2.

same eq settings as before on the metal muff, just reduce the gain to 9' o clock. Dirty channel on the UX1, flat eq and gain about 12 o clock..

to summarize, if you want the drive to come from the metal muff.. adjust the gain on it.. and keep the UX1 on clean channel with as much volume boost from the amp sim as you can get. if you want a combination of metal muff and UX1 amp sim. take a mild boost from the metal muff and keep the gain on the amp sim on UX1 higher. keep volume as much as you can get from the UX1. however, from what i know, the 2nd way wouldnt work too well with a metal muff.

let us know how it goes!

13. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Marooned is right. The Metal Muff is not a boost pedal. It was designed to be a metal oriented distortion pedal. So you need to run it through a clean amp sim. Cabinet size etc is your preference.

If you're boosting the bass to get a fuller sound you must keep in mind that on production tracks the guitar is multi tracked, i.e. there are many layers of the same guitar which gives you a fuller sound. Also, there is a bass guitar which provides the true low end.

Gain on 3 o' clock on the pedal + high gain simulation on your amp modeller = mud. Metal means high gain, but not your definition of high gain.

14. deepsal

deepsal New Member

Its the ux1 throw it and get a apogee one or a rme babyface if you have enough money
    and you have to recab the thing because you arent recording it from get recabinet 3 software select the mesa 4x12 cab and insert your prerecorded clip
    muddyness will disappear
    also please dont tell me that you use pot-farm,thats what i call it,use reaper