Need Recommendation: Audio Conversion

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by itwasnoteasy, Nov 23, 2005.

1. itwasnoteasy

itwasnoteasy E chord humka dede Thakur

Hi, Could someone let me know which audio format should I convert to to get good quality audio from Audio CD. it should be a good balance of memory and quality. I am trying to get the VBR frequencey in which frequency of a song keeps on changing how do i do that.

I have Windows Media Player to rip to mp3 or wma (VBR) wma quality for same kbps is better than wma. But now my problem is i want Variable Bit Rate (VBR) when I select wma (VBR) its choosing one frequency for each song at the very begining of ripping process and rips the whole song at that frequency only. could someone suggest a better way? :shock:

2. bobbit_uncut

bobbit_uncut Banned

1. get LAME source code - complie and biuld teh source to get executables (binaries). The LAME executable is primarily used to converting (ripping) .Wav format to .mp3

The mp3 format support VBR feature, u just need to check. For compiling and building LAME u need to use either G++ (on Linux) or Visual C++ (On Windows) - dont know about Mac.

website for LAME: https://lame.sourceforge.net/
    https://lame.sourceforge.net/using.html

2. get Ogg encoder - ogg-vorbis format is primarily built for all the reasons u meantioned (and more). Definitly one of the best lossy encoding audio formats till now.
    Website for OGG-VORBIS: https://www.vorbis.com/

3. wma is also a good format, though i cant really understand why you are having problems with it.

3. itwasnoteasy

itwasnoteasy E chord humka dede Thakur

hi bubbit thanks for the information. well i did a lot of research tried lots of software for convering into different formats ogg, aac, m4a mp3 (VBR) with different bit rates etc, etc but mp3 doesn't give that quality sound as wma , m4a or aac does. with whatever Bit rate. finally i concluded i want to use it on iPod i should convert it to m4a, aac. if i want to listen good quality song on computer softwares better be wma or m4a. but i want to burn some DVD or something with this data and listen it on DVD player i've to go for mp3 (significant quality compromise :shock: ) well i am doing some more research but ur info is really helpfull as i thot VBR is provided by other formats oh yes forgot to mention ogg VBR audio quality is also good at the same data rate. soo... if I get something new in this i'll post do let me know if u guys have some idea i think now u know what i want some format which should be compatible with all but with good sound quality mp3 doesn't seem to b promising.

4. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

all these are called lossy codecs because they actually lose or sacrifice part of the data for size compression purpose. there are also lossless codecs like monkey's audio which compress music without loss of quality. the compression isnt much (about one fourth of WAV size). the best lossy codec is the Musepack modec (*.mpc or *.mp+) followed in order of decreasing quality by OGG, WMA(v9), MP3 Pro, and MP3.
    for a fantastic and virtually one stop software solution for cd ripping and converting any possible format to any possible other format, use the dBPowerAmp software and coded collection available at

www.dbpoweramp.com

5. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

all these are called lossy codecs because they actually lose or sacrifice part of the data for size compression purpose. there are also lossless codecs like monkey's audio(*.ape) which compress music without loss of quality. the compression isnt much (about one fourth of WAV size). the best lossy codec is the Musepack modec (*.mpc or *.mp+) followed in order of decreasing quality by OGG, WMA(v9), MP3 Pro, and MP3.
    for a fantastic and virtually one stop software solution for cd ripping and converting any possible format to any possible other format, use the dBPowerAmp software and coded collection available at

www.dbpoweramp.com

6. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

For mp3, in my opinion, the encoding mode should be VBR; and I prefer ripping between 128 - 160kbps to get the perfect balance between quality and size.

Though mp3 is a lossy format, it is universally compatible. The best for ripping I think is dbPoweramp Music Converter, though I use iTunes as I already use it for playing music.