Need names of these chords

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by falcon eyes, Sep 23, 2005.

1. falcon eyes

falcon eyes New Member

need names of this cords

REQ; westren cords or names for SA RE GA MA PA DA NE....SA. :eek::

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do are the names

If you want the corresponding chords, they are:

major, minor, minor, major, dom7th, minor, minor7thb5th,

3. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Isnt the last one also known as diminished, or is it sopmething else?

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

I dont understand
    arent sa re ga ma .... supposed to be notes liker c d e f
    how are chors represented in indian classical music
    pls elaborate

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

It's a diminished triad but the chord representing that note is a half-diminished....also known as a minor7thflat5th.

Ambush....sa re ga ma does not represent C,D and so on....it represents Do Re Mi Fa. These notes, when played in different scales, correspond to C,D,E,F.

It's like you can sing sa re ga from a certain key....but you can also sing the exact thing from a higher key. That is where the scale pertaining to Do, Re, Mi, Fa comes in.

As far as my little knowledge goes, the concept of chords does not come into Indian Classical Music. However most instruments come with a set of strings which you can ring to emphasize the Indian equivalent of the scale that you are playing or singing in.

6. Gaurav Bhatia

Gaurav Bhatia New Member

Even i used to think that Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Nee Sa corresponds to C D E F G A B C.....

so bjr u r trying to say that Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Nee Sa does not corresponds to C D E F G A B C.....but Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do...

u mean to say that id original node is sung in a higher or lower node then Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do corresponds to C D E F G A B C?

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Not really. I am trying to say that Sa re ga ma pa dha ni sa is the same as Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do but it is not the same as C D E F G A B C.

If people here know a bit of set theory(I don't really know set theory, I hope I'm using the correct terms) ----

Sa Re Ga Ma is the superset of all the sets of major scales...like Cmajor scale(C,D,E,F etc), C # major scale, D major scale and so on. Thus every major scale is a subset of Sa, Re, Ga, Ma Pa Dha Ni Sa.

Similarly Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti, Do is the western equivalent of the Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni Sa....and is the superset of all the major scales. Thus every major scale is a subset of Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do.

Therefore, the equivalent of sa re ga ma pa dha ni sa is Do re mi fa so la ti do and not C D E F G A B C.

However, C D E F G A B C does correspond to both because it is a subset of both these scales.

8. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

the sa re ... whatever can be played as

c d e f g a b c .... In the C scale ...

and

d e f g a b c d In the D scale .. so thats how it goes ...

And that do re .... whatever represent the sa re ....

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

er, no....what you have given is the D Dorian mode...it would be Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni Sa Re.

The D scale would be:

D E F# G A B C# D

10. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Why do we even bother?

11. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Oh sorry i forgot bout the modes !!! remember a bit of it ... But not much .....

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

so that we aren't stuck playing all the "cool" songs for the rest of our lives perhaps?

13. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Ok so what are "cool" songs?

14. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Evergreen songs which every guitarist plays on the guitar and dreams of composing but cannot because he does not know the theory required to make a song.

15. jekyll

jekyll Banned

true, very true ...

but i dunno this is an observation similar to the one i made sometime back (that all gr8 guitarists have long slender fingers), most really cool n nice sounding song donot have any technical complexity ... Infact even a n00b could make it, but somehow n00bs try getting too much into technical mumbo-jumbo n then they forget about real music making.

very similar to what a saying goes in China: many students used to flock to a great painter to learn from him ... at the end of his rigourous traning n lessons he used to tell them to forget everything they have learnt ...

anyway that was slightly off-topic, i accept that to make good sounding music u need to have a basic idea of theory.

16. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Well...that's not entirely true but you bring up a very good point.

Someone in another thread was asking me how much theory he needs as a beginner....It's something which really has no answer to it other than "Enough to get you by". It's like someone asking you how long your legs should be and you reply "long enough to touch the ground".

Yes, a lot of popular songs are very simple...however, this does not mean that these musicians do not know their theory. Most of them do...and it is years and years of practice that have allowed them to get there. It is like the argument against guitar lessons...a lot of people say that a lot of good guitarists have been self-taught but fail to realize the magnitude of talent and the effort these musicians have put in.

Those musicians who make it without any "theoretical" knowledge are tremendously talented individuals...and I do not count myself fortunate enough to be amidst them which is why I concentrate on musical theory as well so this would give me a slight advantage because I could come to know something someone else took years to discover.

It is important, in the end, to make good music. No one will care how much more you know or how little you know if you can make them tap to your tune.