Need Info On Live Sound Systems

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rust_in_pain, Sep 22, 2007.

1. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

hi,
    i need to propose a new sound system for my college which can handle rock performances well.i need some info such as :
    for a crowd of 500-700 people how much wattage is required?
    which brands to go for in a modest budget in delhi?
    wats the difference between powered/non-powered speaker and mixers?
    are feedback and noise eliminators necessary?

thanks a lot

2. sigmund_q

sigmund_q New Member

hmmm 5-700 huh... cool u'll need sound at around 2000 WATT RMS... a 800-1400 RMS bass will do... n a 1240 RMS two way will do the job... so basically u'll need 4 basses 2 on either sides same wit the two ways...

boss working for a professional LIVE sound company.. i'll not get into budjet n stuff... coz it'll sky rocket...

powered speakers r something hat can b powered directly as in active speakers like ur computer spkrs... else u'll need a power amp for passive speakers... i would suggest go in for powered spkrs....

n hell yeah feedback for a band is definately necessary n noice elimination too.. for that u'll need to call in a LIVE sound ENGINEER...!!!
    n btw.. u'll need stage monitors too.. for the bandes....

njoy n keep rocking...!!!
    PEACE...!!!

for any kinda help.. mail me at...
    sigmund_q@yahoo.com

3. sigmund_q

sigmund_q New Member

u'll at least need a 32 channel mixer... may b a SOUNDCRAFT GB8/GB4 for a band depending on the instruments...

plz plz plz do include an independent EQ RACK and a CROSSOVER...!!!

u'll definately need a sound ENGINEERS HELP for this one .... i would still suggest if its not a permanent setup.. hire a PRO-SOUND company back in delhi... if u wer in bombay i would have defi helped ya out....

njoy n keep rocking...!!!
    PEACE...!!!

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Wattage depends on not the number of ppl, but the area (or the volume) of enclosure you wish to cover.?

BTW the loudness is logarithmic. A 100 watt will sound double louder than 10 watt. Not 10 times.

Feedback and noise eliminators are absolutely necessary, unless you relish those high pitch acoustic howling and squeals.

5. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

thank you sigmund and alpha....i knew people at IGT are always willing to help..
    @sigmund:
    actually we need a permanent setup..
    an independent eq rack means it is apart frm the mixer.....are'nt they included in the mixer itself?
    and what exactly is the function of the crossover?
    can i do with 4 speakers and 2 basses?

@alpha:the area is around 6-7k sq feet....is it so that if the system cannot be used in a smaller area ?