Need Help with Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by GtrPhreak, May 4, 2010.

1. GtrPhreak

GtrPhreak New Member

hey everyone,
    ive been playing an acoustic for the past year and a half and thinking of moving on to an electric.i was thinking of going for the Ibanez GRX20/GRG170DX.but had a look at a coupla threads and all this talk of the tremolo and FR bridge causing problems is really gettin pretty confusing!just starting out on the electric and my knowledge abt electrics is limited to say the least.not sure how much of the tremolo im actually gonna be using(atleast in the near future :p).i cant quite understand why u guys say the GRG series sucks.is it because of the FR bridge and the tremolo putting it out of tune,or smin a lil more serious?
    if it is the tremolo thats the problem wud it be advisable to go for the Ibanez guitar??

my budgets between 9-12k,for the guitar.no chance of going beyond that.as for an amp already borrowed a Marshal 10CD Amp(and have absolutely no intention of returning it)
    so zeroed in on these guitars
    1.Ibanez GRG-170DX
    2.Cort X1/X2
    3.Cort Zenox
    4.Greg Bennett Avion AV1
    (not much of a Les Paul fan though)
    5.Squier Afinity/California Series Strat

and if all else fails
    6.Java EG70
    bajaao.com says its got a "LICENSED" FR bridge with double locking tremolo(that shud help with the guitar going out of tune every time the tremolos used right)

and before sm1 has a go at me for not searching the forum and stuff,wanna assure u guys that ive done my best to search for my answers.but i just dont understand this whole tremolo thing!!
    so i hope u guys help me out with this.

cheers!!

2. flood

flood New Member

the bajaao licensed FR bridge is not really going to be THAT much of an upgrade, i think.

3. GtrPhreak

GtrPhreak New Member

what abt the grg170dx??
    really like the looks of it.never played it though!
    and im into metal/alt rock music,so the 24 frets in the grg gives real scope for tapping.
    but all this talk of tremolos really putting me in two minds.
    it is afterall my FIRST electric and i most certainly dont want to make a mess out of it.but it definitely wont be my last.
    really hope u guys can help me out on this one!!

4. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

5. flood

flood New Member

someone needs to get rid of the stickies that the stupid admin put up and put that thread there instead. with a big BEFORE YOU POST sign too.

6. GtrPhreak

GtrPhreak New Member

thanx for directing me to thatforum!was really useful.
    and from whatever ive read on the net its the tremolo thats causing the detuning problems in the GRG170DX.barring that it does make for a good beginners guitar right??

7. ultrabot90

@flood- They probably won't. It's 'another forum'. Sad.

@Gator Phreak -
    Hardly. I'd say any guitar with a tremolo is bad for beginners. Too much fuss, too much tuning, too little playing (my friend has a BC Rich ASM, craptastic - I had to tune it for hours, only to do it again...and again...unfortunately, that was the only - borrowed - guitar I had for a while, and fortunately, I learned my lesson and my first guitar is a nice TOM style bridge. Meanwhile, that lad has a severely screwed sense of intonation, and can't even tell when he's playing in tune and when he's not.). I don't even see the point of using a tremolo, I'd rather use a whammy pedal - 2 octaves, no tuning problems, no fuss - and otherwise concentrate on compositional and catchy riffs wizardry rather than effects or technical wizardry. But people just want to 'have it all' on their very first guitar, it's like handing an F1 to someone who's just starting driving lessons - and it's not even qualitatively that good.
    /rant

For the two main kinds of solidbodies, I've experienced these two to be the usual suspects.
    Strat - Yamaha Pacifica
    Les Paul - Greg Bennett Avion

For people of a different class -
    SG - Greg Bennett Torino
    Tele - Squiers.

Save up, buy the Pacifica if you're keen on strats. Keen on metal - upgrade amp and humbuckers, in that order. And if you must have an Ibanez - RG series, 20k+ only, hard tail only >.>

8. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

^+1
    Dont go for a FR bridge. Buy one with a standard trmolo. Going by the numbers i have seen, 90% of the people who have these guitar, dont use the trmolo...I was one of them. When i was planning on upgrading from my givson blue diamond, i was hellbent on getting a FR bridge, but luckily for me my friend bought one around the same time and i got to play it quite a bit. I realized, one, that it was a pain in the ass, and second, that i was never going to use it. So i got my self a fixed bridge. It stays in tune for months.

But i guess it wouldnt hurt to buy a standard tremolo. It may not be as flexible as the FR, but you can try using it and see if the whole whammy thing manges to hold your intereset.
    And one more thing, using the whammy correctly is a very hard, it takes a lot of practice. You cant start using it from the word go.

9. GtrPhreak

GtrPhreak New Member

@ultrabot
    what if the tremolos removed/blocked with a piece of wood?will it still keep going out of tune??
    its my first electric guitar and i certainly dont expect it to have everything.its gotta be something thats gonna give me a proper feel of playing an electric,before i splurge on a 205k guitar!!
    and what abt the cort x1/x2??
    as for the pacifica is the 012 good enough??

10. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

pacifica 012 good enough??
    dude pacifica is the best low budget guitar.. but i doubt it'll be good enough for Metal.. but a very stable guitar..

and before goin for 25k+ guitar.. save up some money to get a good amp as well..else it'll sound all the same..

11. GtrPhreak

GtrPhreak New Member

but i read on a site that Pacifica 012 is made of Agathis,but that ultimateguitars forum link in one of the previous posts says agathis is no good!even more confused now..
    any suggestions for metal kinda guitars in the 12k range??

12. flood

flood New Member

dude, you've never played electric guitar before. your ears are not going to tell the difference between an agathis body and a super-dry custom shop alder or mahogany body. especially not under the 12k range with chinese pickups. and definitely not when you're going to be plugging into a 3k amplifier. the pac is probably your best bet. either that or look for a used fixed-bridge RG like the RG321MH. shhouldn'T cost you more than 12-15k used in decent condition.

13. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

+1 to that.. go for RG321MH if u find one.. RG series is really good .. especially for metal..

14. GtrPhreak

GtrPhreak New Member

point taken!kinda like the pac.
    btw,what abt the cort x1?does it have the same problems as the GRG170DX?or does it have its own set of problems,like most guitars in that price range seem to have...

15. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

never played though... but most low end tremolo guitar have same stability problem..

16. ultrabot90

One day when I have enough money to blow, I'll try this out.

I'll buy a Pac 112. I'll upgrade the humbucker to a BareKnuckle Nailbomb/Warpig or something, buy a Mesa Boogie, and see how well it goes for metal.

@flood - What say?
    @GtrPhreak - You can buy my processor and amp, that setup should be more than good enough for you, for quite a while. https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=44477

17. flood

flood New Member

drool @ bareknuckle. some of the best pups i've heard, probably.

18. insatanity

insatanity New Member

19. GtrPhreak

GtrPhreak New Member

@ultrabot90
    intrested in the amp,but cant afford the processor right now.

20. ultrabot90

Some thoughts, I'd say buy a hard tail instead of a blocked tremolo. Makes some upgrades (say you want piezoelectric pickups down the line, or something else) a lot easier, though these are usually kind of long term. Will save you the blocking hassle as well. And given that you buy a semi-decent amp (Roland Cubes, Peavy Vypyrs), Avions should do just as good as a Pacifica, if not better, for metal - bands used LPs for it in the beginning, I believe, and the wood should be a little better (little better, if you compensate for bad wood quality over wood type). Eventually depends on what guitar feels better to you.