Need help to understand few basics

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by angy, Jan 8, 2005.

1. angy

angy New Member

hi guys,
    its been sometime i am reading lots of post here. i am a begineer and need some help understanding a few things.
    First of all what exactly does this maen ?
    / : slide up
    \ : slide down
    ~ : let it ring
    h: hammer ons (sounds little similar to slide up, but is sharper)

Does '/' means moving the string while strumming it or something else ?

I guess i understand bit of tabs but i am total inept in understanding the Chords. I think the biggest problem i am facing is how exactly to strum while doing a chord. For example
    (Em)Tu, tu hai wohi(Am)-------- Dil ne jise(D) --- Apana kahaa(G)

i goto chordfind.com and find all these chords, but can't get anything close to this song. may be because i literally pick up the fret/string for the chord. do we need to make any changes ? basically how to understand this line of "song"?

i hope the 'lucky' experts could find time to help me here.
    i'll be thankful for any help/suggestions.

thanks
    angy

2. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

3. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^^At rizaaj, absolutely. This thread should be in Beginners Q&A forum. Thread shall be moved.
    Coming back to the original point, angy, all queries regarding the guitar tablature, i think you'll find them in the above link. Coming to chords, you need to figure out a strumming pattern i.e the Rhythm of the song. By the way, do you know how to switch between the chords smoothly and efficiently? If not(and i'm assuming not), do those first. Learn the majors, minors, sixths and sevenths and then come back to playing the chords of the song. You should be able to switch between chords properly. As to rhythm, listen to the songs really closely to figure out a strumming pattern. For me it's trial and error method. That's about that. Any more queries, please ask.

4. angy

angy New Member

yeah, i can switch b/w chords somewhat
    but the problem is in understanding how the chords go with the song
    anyhow, i' have put my post in the begineers

thanks guys

5. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

@angy bro....first figure out the strumming pattern for the song by listening to the song as well as playing guitar to figure out the strumming pattern.....

ok ..now this ---->(Em)Tu, tu hai wohi(Am)-------- Dil ne jise(D) --- Apana kahaa(G)

start is Em chord ...as soon as u reach "wohi"...change the chord to Am ...then after "jisne" change it to D ....i.e u have to change the chord ...when u see the chords given in bracket (not necessarily) or just beside or above the "word" in the lyrics it means u have to use dat chord when u reach dat "word" in the lyrics....i.e

as above example....u see the word "wohi" beside chord Am dat means when while singing u reach at word "wohi"...u have to change ur chord to Am...and like wise.

i hope u got it...

as for other guitar techniques ....like hammer, slide up...check out for the sticky notes in this forum section.

or online guitar learning ---->www.cyberfret.com

6. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

Those are simple just read the next post i accidentally posted 2wice sorry,

7. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist