Need help to buy guitar pedals

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by BIG_EVIL, Jun 13, 2005.

1. BIG_EVIL

BIG_EVIL Guitaring Machine

im finally gonna buy pedals

gimme sum details

2. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

What kind of pedals do you want?

3. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

hehe..u need to contact our notorious pedaller ....ronnie

4. BIG_EVIL

BIG_EVIL Guitaring Machine

i want distortion ..wah pedals
    and reverb

can plz gimme sum details
    ..how to use them and blah blah

5. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

how abt Zoom 505,606 or 707

6. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

^^^707 II is the best..

7. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

and btw, he's not asking for multi-effects...simple pedals.

8. shak

shak Harrr!

vox for wah
    boss for dist
    ibanez ts-8/ts-9 for drive
    as for the rest .... boss or pod

9. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Are u in India ??? U will get Jim Dunlop Cry Baby ( GCB 95 ) & Jimi Henderix Fuzz wah , U will get some Boss Pedals since the stock with dealer is over . U will get range of Digitech Distotions & Some DOD Pedals here in Mumbai ....

10. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

DOD pedals sound better than Boss (but then that is subjective) ...

11. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

wah: a dunlop crybaby w/ fazel inductorr

dist: one of the AMT's 4 dist , probaly a metallizer or fatal tube . check out the rest at amtelectronics.com ( the've got sound sample's )

@Shahrukh i think an Amt's better 4 dist than a boss

12. shak

shak Harrr!

^ .. i agree ... but i dont think that amt will be available in pak, thats why i said boss, the next best thing to amt...

13. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Hey PM ronnieannad he can give you great info and probably sell some pedals to you if he has some for sale ......
    Whoops i have see this guy's set man it drives me crazy .... he has some 11 pedals connected in series ... and has probaly owned all sort of stuffs ......

14. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

AMT is really good. I use AMT Fatal Tube and AMT California Sound. Please do not compare AMT with Boss Pedals. It's humiliation for AMT. AMT Pedals have built in Amp Simulator which is really good. Even when the distortion is off, the sound improves tremendously because of the Amp Sim. This is the only Distortion pedal I have seen where you can keep the gain at full and still has a nice sound. Usually they get harsh and loses the tonal character. But in AMT it retains the tone but just increases the gain. At low gain settings it's a very nice overdrive. It has a tube emulation circuitry inside for tube kind of sound.

Hey, what kind of pedal do you want to buy. You said you want Distortion, Reverb and Wah. What do you look for in a Distortion pedal. Huge amounts of gain, compressed sound, responsiveness to volume control, responsiveness to picking, etc..

For Wah, get hold of Vox847. If you can shell nice money for a real good one, then consider RMC Wah made by Geoffrey Teese. I have my Thomas Organ Crybaby modded by this guy and my Wah is now a real animal. This is the best Wah I have ever played in my life. I dont think I will find something better either.
    Do you want a reverb or a Delay. If you have $$esterities then buy both else get a good Delay. Rocktron Short Timer is among the cheapest and it's really good. It's adds a great bit of reverb too. If you want simple plain reverb, then get the Holy Grail Reverb by Electro Harmonix or get a Alesis Quadraverb rack. It's pretty cheap and it has nice Reverb, Chorus and Delay all of which are programmable and foot switchable. You can add expression pedal too. Another option is get a Keeley Modded Boss DD3 Delay. Keeley has added a socket for expression pedal. You can connect a volume pedal and vary the delay time settings. Extremely useful thing. I am thinking of getting a second delay just to have two different delay settings. If you have this delay with the expression pedal, then you can have nice fun.

Alfons likes this.
  15. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

@ronnieanand awsome posts helped me a lot
    reps 4 u !

16. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

the AMT METALLIZER's gud 4 heavy dist , ultra gain
    sum1 played symphony of destruction with it on amtelectronics.com
    it sounded EXACT
    :beer:

17. ronnieanand

The guy who played that on the AMT site is Dimitar. Awesome Guitarist from Bulgaria who currently works for AMT. Search for Dimitar in Google and check out his website and also his recordings. Some people compare him with Steve Vai and others.

18. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

i know he's an awsome guitarist heard sum of his demos for AMT !!
    he played sum yngwie malmsteen song (with fatal tube ) sounded awsome.

19. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

With Wah you have very restricted options, there's Dunlop Crybaby and Vox. The rest are just ripoffs of these two.

If you're into looks, the Ibanez Weeping Demon is an absolute killer one. It has more controls for the sound than either Crybaby or Vox but only problem is it works awesome for most inputs except really high gain ones, but that's a problem with most pedals.

If you're trying to save money an auto-wah is the best option. Once again if you look for a decent price-performance ratio, Ibanez Tonelok is the winner here.

For distortion you should check out Boss's range. They have simple ones like DS-1 to specifically metal ones like MT-2.
    I personally prefer the DS-1. They used to make those in Japan but since the mid nineties they are manufactured in Taiwan which is of a lesser quality. But these can be modded extensively to give unbelievable clarity even for really high gains.
    Check www.robertkeeley.com, I tested one of their modded Tube Screamers against the original Ibanez tube screamer(not reissue) and they have done an awesome job with tone control.

But you can still buy some local Stranger or Kustom distortion pedal and have someone who knows this stuff mod it for you to get an acceptable sound. This will work out way cheaper.

And for reverb, I've found that the Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail pedal does the most awesome job of emulating the classic reverb from vintage amplifiers. It's also a steal if you can get it second hand.

20. ronnieanand

I dont think Wah are all kind of rips off. The original Wah ever made was by Vox. The Engineer who designed this Wah started his own Thomas Organ Crybaby series (I have this one :beer: :dance: ). Thomas Organ got closed and Dunlop acquired. So basically most of the Wahs are the same. There are lot of good ones around

1. Dunlop Crybaby series.
    2. Vox Wah series
    3. Buddah Bud Wah - I recommend this.
    4. Real McCoy Wah series - I highly recommend this.
    5. Rocktron Cat Moan
    6. Fulltone Wah - I highly recommend this.

Then you have the no POT optical ones

1. Morley Bad Horsie series - Good for newer stuffs only. No vintage Wah sweep.
    2. George Dennis - I recommend this.

Then you have

1. Tech21 Killer Wail
    2. Ibanez Screaming Demon - Not enough sweep but again good for newer stuffs only. Dont try playing Voodoo Chile or White Room with this. I just cannot do it.
    3. Boss PV Wah - Why do they consider this a Wah. Very sterile sounding.

There are several other boutique pedals. Wah is as simple as a basic band pass filter with frequency control. Some are straight rip offs. A lot of boutique ones offer improvement over the existing ones.
    One simple problem with most of the Wahs which have a great sweep range is that they squeal even when your guitar volume is turned to zero. This happens when you connect it to a distortion or fuzz pedal. This is an age old Wah / Fuzz or Wah / Distortion mismatch which hardly anybody has fixed it. There is one FoxRox Retro Wah Fit which can slightly reduce this problem. Most Wahs dont respond well with high gain sound. This FWR can fix this too. A lot of boutique pedals do offer such improvements even though it might look like a rip off. There are tons of options but you should be patient enough to try and test things out. If you are in India, then you should make considerable amount of research before you buy 'cos you just cant buy and sell on the eBay.