Need help Self tutoring ATTN:Self taught guitarists

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by r@zor2, Apr 11, 2008.

1. r@zor2

r@zor2 New Member

hey guys got my guitar its a black pluto 101N
    Good acoustic for 2750 and the main thing i wanted to know is - is it possible to learn everything from the internet i mean by self tutoring cause i really dont want to go to classes. I got my guitar around 2 weeks back and i have been really working hard and in these 2 weeks i learnt - open Chords (A minor& major C, D etc etc) 4/4 strumming, different strumming patterns , Scales like major &minor pentatonic , major scale , Blues scale ( I can play these around 160BPM is it good enough??) , alternative picking , Soloing (though it sucks on an acoustic) , and im trying barre chords now , I can also switch between chords (open position) quite efficiently
    IMP: im not boasting here i posted this to ask about my progress is it good enough for a beginner who started 15days back
    Somehow the pain in the fingers(when u start to play guitars) vanished in 2 days is this normal??? Now i have developed sort of thick dry skin round the place on the finger where i hold notes on the fretboard Is this the callus???
    And i really cant believe it BUt i can somehow play the intro to Stairway to heaven (led zepplin) I thought it was advanced level stuff ??
    u guys have any other melodic stuff like stairway to heaven ??? Any song from Eric clapton???
    I practice for 6 hours a day and im trying harder and harder to become as good as possible and im really enjoying every bit of playing it.
    PS:- AGAIN IM NOT BOASTING HERE AND AM TRYING TO KEEP IT AS MODEST AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE just asking bout my progress and what i should learn next
    Please advice what i should learn next
    thank you awaiting reply and sorry for the huge post just trying to share my questions and feelings

Cheers,
    Anirudh

2. flashmustain

flashmustain New Member

Hey..gud 4 u man...i took longer 2 learn dat stuff..but practised only 30 min a day ..hehe...yea frm the internet u can get ALMOST everythin there is 2 noe..nd an important thing is 2 make contacts wit other guitarists....cuz u get 2 learn much more ..diffrent styles..new approaches dat kinda stuff...dat's how i learned A lot...talk 2 guitarists..discuss abt guitar stuff..u'll learn a hellava lot more nd faster....but imp thing is jus keep practisin as much as u can...start 2 create ur own stuff..train ur ear..dunt use guitar pro..:p..try 2 figure out scales on wat ur fav songs r played by ear..melodic songs huh..try tout le monde - megdeth...nice song 2 play on acoustic..crazy train - randy rhodes(ozzy osbourbe) mayb...try sum malmsteen if u can..sumtin like the 7th sign..da intro is eazy nd nice on acoustic..i use it has a warm up lick nowdays..since ur startin off try diff genre's of music even if ur not 2 found of dem..sumtin like spanish, arabian, classical( mozart, bach)etc..(wen i started nethin on da guitar sounded nice)..it'll help u later..nd give u a broader view on guitarin ....
    NOTE: all da above songs r pretty eazy nd sound nice on da acoustic ..so u can try dem out..not exactly like stairway 2 heaven type but still

3. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

was that a joke......dude u are sayin i practically learnt everythin in 2 weeks....i mean all the scales req to start wid basically chords yeah even if not barre ud do it in 1 day wid ur progress...if its some lie **** offf if its truth dude ur gonna be great someday....

4. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

:shock:

take ur time......

You are progressing too quickly. It's ok to have the passion, but , dun hurt ur fingers for that! To learn more... hover around this site and some others (google it)... Try to play some easy songs lyk Gnr stuffs or nirvana stuffs (just concentrate on the strumming and the chords)... that'll improve ur accuracy... search for lessons and practice them... again.... take ur time... dun rush.

5. amitrichardxess

amitrichardxess New Member

wowwwwwwwww man u r tooooo fast

6. r@zor2

r@zor2 New Member

hey guys thanks so much for ur replies
    @flashmustain Thanks so much dude ill definately try out those songs. thanks a lot once again

@radicalz_adi Dude i aint kidding man y would i do that

I practice half of the day playing guitar and my finger hurts if I DONT play the guitar . I take it everywhere except when i go to the toilet lol. I think im addicted to it . K guys i have managed to play barre chords very nice to play once u get to know how to play it . having some problems with switching between them but i think i will be able to solve it . Once i finish that i think ill go over the basics one more time just to see that i didnt miss anything .
    Keep in touch guys ur comments are really valuable to me . Ill try and PM u once in a while .
    Cheers
    Anirudh

7. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

dude ud do it.....sugata did u say gnr's stuff is easy....????

8. r@zor2

r@zor2 New Member

do wat man??? and if GNR means guns and roses forget it man thats really tough
    thanks once again for ur support its really motivating

9. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

i mean like yeah ater 5 years playin i find gnr reall easy..

10. r@zor2

r@zor2 New Member

5 years wow i should definately keep in touch with u which scale do u recommend for heavy metal ???????
    And most important any good website for guitar theory need one urgently Thanks

11. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

@radicalz_adi
    well... I am talking bout the chord progressions... songs like paradise city or Knocking on Heavens' doors (though it's a dylan song, but it's more famous as a gnr song :p:) has simple chord progressions.... so, it helps bringing out the confidence in u (believe me , confidence is the main factor doing anything)

12. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

https://guitar.about.com/

13. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

ohkk u proved ur point....ur right....

14. r@zor2

r@zor2 New Member

15. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

^^^ tht's also a very good website. The link I gave u is lyk a wiki. U can get very much everything u need...

16. r@zor2

r@zor2 New Member

yeha i checked it out but i feel cyberfret is more organised read all the music theory very interesting specially bout chord constructions and triads etc

17. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

well to tell u the truth i learnt from the guitar handbook by ralph denyer

soooo thats set and all was practice learnin songs n stuff

18. r@zor2

r@zor2 New Member

what do u think i should do now i can play all basic scales chords and i know the theory what should i do now i can play bar's too

19. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

wat i feel is start practicin the scales again n again...knowing them is diff playin them is diff......play them as if it comes naturally....u don hav to think twice....they are important most important.......next start with progressions n stuff....basically i know the scales and chords and know nothin much about theory but as it is theory is not that important though it is vital but if u are born for it ud do it......

psssst i auditioned for a band made it thru

20. r@zor2

r@zor2 New Member

Cool so for the next few days its scales and progressions nice...
    hey are u self taught ?
    BTW CONGRATULATIONS what does the band play METAL? :)