Need Help regarding PICKING!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by piyushsood2312, Oct 15, 2012.

1. piyushsood2312

piyushsood2312 New Member

Hi,

After few months of regular left hand exercises and practise, what i have realised is that my fingers have started responding well now. I feel my left hand works pretty good while fretting but the problem lies with the right hand. I am not able to cope up with the speed of left hand.

I need some tips on fast picking and also skipping strings while picking. please suggest some exercises or some good youtube videos for it(out of the millions on the site).

Regards!

P.S. : I have an acoustic guitar.

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

start practicing alternate picking....

3. piyushsood2312

I do alternate picking only! I never do UPs and UPs or DOWNs and DOWNs.. I always do UP DOWN UP DOWN.. Any more tips or exercises for right hand?

4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

No more tips... Just do it well....

5. tirtha2chester

tirtha2chester New Member

Practice songs..

Try alternate picking in runs where you use legato instead...

6. piyushsood2312

can u tell me 2-3 songs in particuar which can help?

7. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

Just play in a scale.

8. wylder

wylder Member

For 2 notes per string, try "No More Tears" by Ozzy Osbourne. Try the repeating lick at 04:55. It should look something like:

e 13--10--13--10----------
    B ----------------13--10--

For 3 notes per string, try "Old LA tonight" by Ozzy Osbourne. Try the repeating lick in the solo which starts at about 03:38. It should look something like:

e 15--13--12--------------|--------12--------------|
    B ------------15--13--12--|13--15------15--13--12--|

* I have guessed these tabs from memory so they may not be accurate. However, I'm sure you'll recognize these licks pretty easily if you listen to the track...

9. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

A good way to pick up speed with the right hand is to ensure that you play scales up and down, start slow and then increase the speed without errors.....do not cheat and go up and down just like that...

Also ensure that your right hand is rested in the proper spot that makes it feel comfortable and also ensures that you are can both the low and high e strings with ease.....

Most important thing to increase the speed is to be able to do exercises to increase the speed.....say a warm up

Something Like this

A--1--2--3--4--
    E--1--2--3--4--

Next Step

A--1--3--2--4--
    E--1--3--2--4--

Next Step

A--1--4--2--3--
    E--1--4--2--3--

Do these on all the strings and slowly move up the neck....

Once you can do these easily and without errors or missing any notes, then try jumping the strings.....for example try the same exercises on strings like

E and then on D etc etc.....

You will have to be patient to be able to increase the right hand and left hand speeds, as this takes time, you must train your brain to get things right.....once that is achieved, you can do it anytime of the day with ease....

10. piyushsood2312

Thanx everyone for the reply.I wud try all these

11. ss192

ss192 New Member

12. piyushsood2312

I already know that exercise. My teacher taught me its called the "SPIDER" exercise. yeah it really helps!

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

A pretty good string skipping excercise (which is what I thought was called spider):

-------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------7------8------5------6-
    ----7----8----5----6---------------------------------
    -5----6----7----8-----5-------6-------7-----8------

and so on where you keep shifting one string lower.