Need help on voltage india usa..

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ajaykalekar, Jun 10, 2007.

  1. ajaykalekar

    ajaykalekar New Member

    Hi Guys,

    I got epiphone les paul, korg AX1500 and fender princeton 65 amp.

    i bought this in usa..and now moved to india..mumbai..i got a voltage convertor the small a socket for doing conversion to india voltage etc..and plugged my produced drained if power was not it doesnot produce sound..i went to furtados..and the guy told me something has blown..which i am not sure..he told they dont repair amps..
    i am not sure if i should give this for repair . also i saw voltage convertor in Croma..costing 2000 to 4000 rupees and were big in metal casing range of 750w to there difference..since the one i got was for 100 rupees and it had instructions on it dont use for watt more than 1600 which i dont believe my amp is. please help what i should do..anyone faced this issue..

  2. thehundredthone

    thehundredthone New Member

    USA has 110V lines, and India has 220-240V lines. So possibly you overloaded the amp.

    The adaptor that you have, I don't think it can handle 65W. I'm not sure about this though, someone else will advise you better.
  3. alpha1

    alpha1 I BLUES!

    any Electronics guy on board?
  4. nebuchadnezzar

    nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k should NEVER compromise on the power supply. I hope your Princeton doesn't have major damage or only the converter is blown.

    I suspect the wattage/current rating for your converter was inadequate for this purpose. Check the original plug of the amp, see the max current and wattage ratings. Get the best quality converter you can find which exceeds these ratings by a safe margin(say 50W for something rated 20W).

    The Rs. 100 converters are crap, and the Croma one looks like overkill. Look for something like that Croma in lower wattage and current ratings. Just take your time and get the best and it will be worth it later:)

    EDIT: I just realized that you need a converter only, and cannot get a local plug for the amp. I was thinking about 9V adapters for pedals so got a bit confused:eek::
  5. saurabhrocks

    saurabhrocks New Member

    it is a very minor thing, things such as amp have a fuse,

    and the thing u bought in usa works on 110 v
    and india it is 220,
    look if the device has a voltage switching device,
    it looks like a knop, if turned it makes the device work on 220v otherwise it works on 110.

    these converters were common in japanese products, but if ur is a usa made one, it may not have it,
    u may have to to use voltage transformer in future, but i thing its better u buy a new one,

    if no one can fix it, take it to the local shop, which repairs speakers and other sound system, get it opened in front of u, ask them what's wrong

    most probably the fuse needs to be changed, but in some cases the whole thing blows and, the amp is just another box,
  6. saurabhrocks

    saurabhrocks New Member

    and when u buya converter look at it it shud say
    input:210~240 50-55hz

    or something like this, don't go for a cheap one, and check in the input of the amp. it shud say input 100-120 v or something like that and xxx A
    and check it with the converter,

    if u need some calculations for power etc here is a formula

    p=v x i power = voltagex ampere(current)

    current may be given in mili ampere , then u have to convet it to ampere , by multipying by 10^-3

    *power in watts
  7. Double Click

    Double Click New Member

    Go back to Furatados and ask him what has blown... Then come and tell us.

    If its a fuse, no issues, its a simple repair job.

    More likely u've blown some of the IC's in it, in which case it can still be repaired, but its a little more complex.

    If u want more help, get more details ie. What has blown.
  8. DagMX

    DagMX New Member

    you need a step down transformer(220V to 110V). Never plug anything from the US into an Indian power socket without one of these or without getting it modified to be compatible with Indian voltages.
  9. saurabhrocks

    saurabhrocks New Member

    i think u did not use a voltage transformer, instead u have used a plug converter.
    that is why ur amp has blown or whatever
  10. tallkien

    tallkien DIY GURU

    Hopefully you've just blown a fuse. From what you're saying it sounds to me like you've used a transformer with a lower wattage reading than required. There should be a wattage reading posted on the back near the power socket, around where the voltage is posted

    First thing you need to check is the fuse. There should be one on the back or inside. If you can check that out and get back we could possibly help you diagnose whats wrong. you'll need a multimeter and/or a friend who knows something about electronics
  11. Life_Sans_Death

    Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

    A transformer can be looked at by those radio shack guys right?
  12. tallkien

    tallkien DIY GURU

    If the transformer's blown I think its best to get it replaced with an Indian 220V one locally by a good tech. Nearly every amp I've heard of that's been imported( including mine) has at some point blown a transformer. this can be tricky though since the current needs to be the same. Best to have it seen by someone who makes transformers (If it's blown that is)

    but I think I'm letting my imagination stray...Just check the FUSE! :)
  13. Nouman011

    Nouman011 New Member

    @ tallkien DUDE................!!!!!!1 I've been searching the whole damn internet for u..

Share This Page