Need help in selecting an Amplifier

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by parag123, Sep 4, 2007.

1. parag123

parag123 New Member

Hey guyz... I have an Ibanez GRG170Dx with Marshal MG10CD....I ve been using this combination for quite sometime...Now i feel a need to upgrade the amplifier coz the amplifier makes too mch noise.....Distrtion is not gud as well....I am not able to decide which Amplifier should i go for....My budget is arnd 10K....I dont want to spend money on Effects Processor seperately... Heres the list of Amps i ve shortlisted....

1 ====Hartke G30R 30W 2 Channel Guitar Combo Amplifier with Reverb Rs.8,200
    2 ====Kustom Cube 100DR Guitar Rs. 9500
    3 ====Laney HCM 65 R Guitar Rs. 10500
    4 ====Laney LX 35D Guitar Amplifer Rs.9400
    5 ====Marshall MG30DFX Guitar Rs.9300
    6 ====Line 6 Spider III-30 Watt Guitar Amplifier Rs.12,800
    7 ====Roland Cube 30X 30W Rs.10,900
    8 ====RANDALL RX30D Rs.10,700
    9 ====Vox Valvetronix AD15VT 15W Tube Guitar Amplifier Rs.13,500

Kindly share ur opninon......
    Thanks

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I would say all would be waste.

You need a good quality pedal distortion or good quality digital processor.

Select an amp only for the clean tone it produces and for the wattage.

3. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

if you dont wanto buy effects seperatly, then get the vox.. ive only heard good things about, also try the roland cube.... BUT WHATEVE YOU DO, STAY AWAY FROM THE SPIDER.....

4. parag123

parag123 New Member

Thanks for the advice... As far as my music taste is concerned i like more o blues and classic rock....Bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zepp....are my favs....Considering this taste which of the above amp can be of gud to me.....

Also m looking for certain features like backing vocals, drums beats etc in the amp...

5. srakshit

srakshit New Member

First off, my Marshall produces better distortion than my Digitech pedal, and both cost me about the same - it depends on your taste, but I like a nice smooth blues distortion. Pedals are better for hard rock or metal I guess.

For the kind of music you play and like, I would pick a Marshall and play with the overload controls till I get a nice balanced sound, and put that up with a pedal for reverb, wah and anything else I need. But I haven't heard the DFX at all, and don't know whether that particular amp is better/worse/same as mine.

You want backing vocals in an amp???? I think some amps may have a few drum patterns built in, but it's not going to fetch the newspaper for you. Are you looking for toys or an amp? Make up your mind.

Have you considered going out and playing the amps before buying? This is like asking for which colour shirt you should buy - everybody will give you their preference.

6. parag123

parag123 New Member

Thanks Srakshit...i got the idea....will visit a store soon