Need help in Guitar Tuning....

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by prattu, Sep 4, 2007.

1. prattu

prattu New Member

Hi,

Weekly I get one class to practise guitar with my tutor. The thing is that whenever I go to class, my tutor tunes the guitar saying its not tuned.... :(

I want to do the tuning myself.... how to go about it? Pls provide your expert advice...

2. beowulf

beowulf New Member

Either get a tuner (pipe is pretty cheap or there are nicer ones which come with a metronome).
    Else you can download one from the web...there are plenty of tuners available (metronomes too).
    This tutorial has a free tuner within it and also a pdf which teaches how to tune the guitar with itself (use WinRar to open the iso file). Look at the last post:

h**p://www.indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=31002

I dont know if a particular tuner is better than others, maybe more experienced ppl can tell you.

Beo

3. srakshit

srakshit New Member

You need to tune by ear. If your ear is not developed to the point you can hear a note matching, you need to get a microphone and a software tuner that can 'hear' the notes. There are small tuners that tune by 'sight' which you can buy online.

I have a long theory post somewhere where I've described the process of tuning by ear. Use the search button to find it.